LIV Golf

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
OK, I’ve found the talking horse myself via an anonymous tip. It was Chubby Chandler. :lol:

So according to him it’s a two year deal and the *budget for the tournament* is $45M each year for the “event build out, prize money, everything… the TV…“ He then goes on to say “it might be $50M per year”

I’ve emphasised budget there because that is not the same as saying what any party’s contribution is and it’s pretty clear that Chandler did not “do the deal” and only connected the people who did. He’s an agent, not a signatory, and says so himself. So, what a surprise, the actual contributions of the JCB event are unknown and different to what’s been claimed.

P.S. I’ve edited my post above to correct the budget numbers to $45M to $50M.

P.P.S. Chandler has been notoriously anti PGA Tour for two decades and has instead been looking east via Turkey. I’d be skeptical of anything he says about Monaghan.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
OK, I’ve found the talking horse myself via an anonymous tip. It was Chubby Chandler. :lol:

So according to him it’s a two year deal and the *budget for the tournament* is $45M each year for the “event build out, prize money, everything… the TV…“ He then goes on to say “it might be $50M per year”

I’ve emphasised budget there because that is not the same as saying what any party’s contribution is and it’s pretty clear that Chandler did not “do the deal” and only connected the people who did. He’s an agent, not a signatory, and says so himself. So, what a surprise, the actual contributions of the JCB event are unknown and different to what’s been claimed.

P.S. I’ve edited my post above to correct the budget numbers to $45M to $50M.

P.P.S. Chandler has been notoriously anti PGA Tour for two decades and has instead been looking east via Turkey. I’d be skeptical of anything he says about Monaghan.
Hope your not suggesting that Mel was being economical with the truth regarding LiV. Well I never🤣

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Hope your not suggesting that Mel was being economical with the truth regarding LiV. Well I never🤣

You might want to check what I've said and tell me which part of it might be inaccurate. :unsure:

"LIV could well end up being PPV - and as for advertising, a lot of that will be inbuilt into the package - JCB have paid a significant sum to host LIV events for two years, but LIV aren’t getting any sponsors….."

"I don’t know the breakdown of the deal. But if JCB are paying to host it and cover the prize money, it's going to be a significant amount of money, right?"

"Maybe JCB see value in the deal? - whether you like it, or are prepared to admit it, we're reaching the point where countries and courses are bidding to host LIV events"

"The figure for hosting the LIV event is 45 to 50 million dollars, less than 10% of JCB's pre tax profits. Potentially good business for all parties."

"From the guy that helped get the deal over the line."

Last edited:

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
You might want to check what I've said and tell me which part of it might be untruthful. :unsure:

"LIV could well end up being PPV - and as for advertising, a lot of that will be inbuilt into the package - JCB have paid a significant sum to host LIV events for two years, but LIV aren’t getting any sponsors….."

"I don’t know the breakdown of the deal. But if JCB are paying to host it and cover the prize money, it's going to be a significant amount of money, right?"

"Maybe JCB see value in the deal? - whether you like it, or are prepared to admit it, we're reaching the point where countries and courses are bidding to host LIV events"

"The figure for hosting the LIV event is 45 to 50 million dollars, less than 10% of JCB's pre tax profits. Potentially good business for all parties."

"From the guy that helped get the deal over the line."
Not me suggesting you have been untruthful.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Not quite. I think some facts are true, a person did indeed say a thing, but the conclusions extrapolated from what has been said are questionable and don’t make sense.

We can’t know the truth without seeing the contract or accounts. Speculation is all we have but if viewed on the spectrum of realistic to fantasy it seems like there is too much of the latter surrounding these Liv events.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Not quite. I think some facts are true, a person did indeed say a thing, but the conclusions extrapolated from what has been said are questionable and don’t make sense.

We can’t know the truth without seeing the contract or accounts. Speculation is all we have but if viewed on the spectrum of realistic to fantasy it seems like there is too much of the latter surrounding these Liv events.

It's odd isn't it.

Go back to the foundations of this thread and some people were seeing the potential in LIV, and it's intended position within the pro game, and some people were refusing to accept it, and predicting it's demise.
To say what I've said doesn't make sense it's a complete fallacy - you've listened to the podcast and Tom asks Chubby "how much have they (JCB) paid" to which Chandler responds with a figure of 45 possibly 50 million dollars, I've said I don't know the breakdown of the deal, but from what was said on that pod, it infers that JCB are covering the cost.

Just stop trying to portray me as somebody who doesn't know what they're talking about or trying to spin information - I'm not - maybe it's time a few of you took a leaf out of Rory's book and accepted LIV is here, and part of the future of golf in some form.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
And here's the podcast for anybody that's interested, JCB discussion kind of kicks off around 12 or 13 minutes, but there's plenty of other interesting topics discussed.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To say what I've said doesn't make sense it's a complete fallacy - you've listened to the podcast and Tom asks Chubby "how much have they (JCB) paid" to which Chandler responds with a figure of 45 possibly 50 million dollars, I've said I don't know the breakdown of the deal, but from what was said on that pod, it infers that JCB are covering the cost.

If you listen again he says what the budget for event is. He doesn’t answer the question as put to him of what JCB have paid. What one party pays and what it costs to host an event are not the same thing.

Chubby is a crafty agent and may not be the best person to consider as a white knight in the battle for truth. He knows what he’s saying and not saying. Ask Lee Westwood what he thinks of him.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
If you listen again he says what the budget for event is. He doesn’t answer the question as put to him of what JCB have paid. What one party pays and what it costs to host an event are not the same thing.

Chubby is a crafty agent and may not be the best person to consider as a white knight in the battle for truth. He knows what he’s saying and not saying. Ask Lee Westwood what he thinks of him.

I know he says "the budget", in response to being asked how much they've paid.

I'd advise people to listen to the podcast and draw their own conclusions, rather than listening to me, or indeed your good self.