LIV Golf

4LEX

Visit site
No one is paying LIV to host events.

LIV as a sporting entity is failing badly with viewing figures now being kept hidden to avoid embarrassment. A lot of big signings have proved past it and aren't doing the brand any good. As I said previously every single player that's signed has suffered a big drop off in form, bar Brooks for a few months. It's great for the players bank accounts but a graveyard for world class players. The team format has been a huge failure too.

The only game changer has been the PIF flexing their muscles and buying Rahm has a bargaining chip. The PGA Tour are doing everything they can to find investment from sources outside the PIF. I think that's a bad move as the best way forward is for both tours to merge under new leadership with both CEO's parting the scene.

Have to say very disappointed in Rory, his recent comments are proper bottle job behaviour.

D

Deleted member 15344

Jcb make expensive kit for building stuff, sometimes in deserts.
Not just golfers looking to strike a deal.
They do indeed it’s a shame that a lot of the deals for doing a lot of that sort of stuff has been pocketed by Cat and John Deere , but especially by Cat when it comes to supplying the “heavies”

D

Deleted member 15344

I don’t think this is always true.
When the European Tour held the Masters at the Belfry they took the hotel for the whole week, rooms, food and beverage all for nothing plus shut the Brabazon for 2 weeks and the other 2 courses for one week. The only money the hotel got was half the gate receipts which was a tiny fraction of the income they lost.
The hotel obviously thought this cost was worth it for the advertising and revenue but in essence they paid a fortune to have a Tour event.

Sorry yes there are some events that offer courses for free

belfry for example whilst not making a huge amount during the event beyond merch etc will then make it up with golf trips people then book

Woburn hosted the event with the same sort of thing and made a fortune in green fees etc after - then they were paid to host the Women’s British Open

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
*If* JCB have paid Liv to host, it isn't because of the Liv product. It wont get them any additional benefit other than to bribe Saudi into buying equipment from them. This doesn't legitamise Liv. It just stinks of corruption.

It can't be for wider exposure as there is still a miniscule number of people watching Liv, which declined throughout 2023 - even after post merger. TV ratings - hidden when they were embarrassing. YouTube livestreaming - less than a guy who swallows his dinner without chewing. Liv app - no traction whatsoever. Sure, it's on some satellite channels in countries where nobody watches golf or the market size is insignificant to the global golf market - that must be where the millions and millions are watching.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
*If* JCB have paid Liv to host, it isn't because of the Liv product. It wont get them any additional benefit other than to bribe Saudi into buying equipment from them. This doesn't legitamise Liv. It just stinks of corruption.

It can't be for wider exposure as there is still a miniscule number of people watching Liv, which declined throughout 2023 - even after post merger. TV ratings - hidden when they were embarrassing. YouTube livestreaming - less than a guy who swallows his dinner without chewing. Liv app - no traction whatsoever. Sure, it's on some satellite channels in countries where nobody watches golf or the market size is insignificant to the global golf market - that must be where the millions and millions are watching.

Isn’t the purpose of advertising to get people to buy your product?

I must remember the next time I sponsor the kids football team, that it’s actually bribery to get people to look at my services.
I’ll look out for the ‘bribery’ submissions box the next time I do my tax return as well. (y)

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

I must remember the next time I sponsor the kids football team, that it’s actually bribery to get people to look at my services.
I’ll look out for the ‘bribery’ submissions box the next time I do my tax return as well. (y)
I don’t know what you do for work, but are kids your market? Because that’s the equivalent or the comparison doesn’t work

If you paid your kids team to play in your garden so they would buy your product, that would be a direct comparison. Which I am sure even you would agree would be considered a slightly unusual business tactic

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I don’t know what you do for work, but are kids your market? Because that’s the equivalent or the comparison doesn’t work

If you paid your kids team to play in your garden so they would buy your product, that would be a direct comparison. Which I am sure even you would agree would be considered a slightly unusual business tactic

Makes you wonder why JCB bothered building a golf course, calling it The JCB course, and only really offering it to corporate guests?

HeftyHacker

Visit site

Haven't you just described pretty much every corporate event going?

I've a mate who works in finance in London and, as far as I can tell, his job entails hosting clients on the best of the Surrey golf courses and telling them how much better off they'd be if they invested their money with him 😂.

WGCRider

Visit site

Advertising?? Sounds like they got a bargain.
I can imagine the meeting now:

Exec1: Guys we've got £50m to spend on advertising what should we do with it?
Exec 2: With that kind of money we got pay the endorsement deals for Lionel Messi, Rory McIroy and Tiger Woods for a year.
Exec 3: Or guys we could stage a 3 day golf tournament that nobody will watch on a course nobody can play?
Everyone : GREAT - lets do that!

D

Deleted member 29109

I struggle to believe JCB are paying more to host a LiV event than Silverstone pay to host an F1 race that attracts hundreds of thousands of people over a similar period of time.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Advertising?? Sounds like they got a bargain.
I can imagine the meeting now:

Exec1: Guys we've got £50m to spend on advertising what should we do with it?
Exec 2: With that kind of money we got pay the endorsement deals for Lionel Messi, Rory McIroy and Tiger Woods for a year.
Exec 3: Or guys we could stage a 3 day golf tournament that nobody will watch on a course nobody can play?
Everyone : GREAT - lets do that!
It will be a corporate fest. They will get their big customers in, from all over Europe, all over the world. Bit of pro am as well?

Yes it's a luxury but then so is building your own course, a pretty tasty one at that by all accounts. Clearly someone at JCB loves their golf, this is their toy. The Americans have the John Deere Classic, this is the equivalent isn't it?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I struggle to believe JCB are paying more to host a LiV event than Silverstone pay to host an F1 race that attracts hundreds of thousands of people over a similar period of time.

Do you ever question why FedEx put up so much money ($650Million) to sponsor the PGAT?

D

Deleted member 15344

It will be a corporate fest. They will get their big customers in, from all over Europe, all over the world. Bit of pro am as well?

Yes it's a luxury but then so is building your own course, a pretty tasty one at that by all accounts. Clearly someone at JCB loves their golf, this is their toy. The Americans have the John Deere Classic, this is the equivalent isn't it?

Bamford believed that finding a way to break into the US Market was through golf. , course was built with the idea of hosting a joint sanctioned US/UK event and then use that to try and get into the US market to compete against Cat and John Deere ( who sponser an event )

Hosting the event was key to that - think they were looking at one in 2021 but it didn’t happen and they went with a seniors tour one which didn’t get any traction - there was talk of the British Masters there as well

And now they will using LIV events to try and break into the US market

The other two big companies - John Deere and Cat and miles ahead of them in most areas and stole a march on JCB over the last ten years

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you ever question why FedEx put up so much money ($650Million) to sponsor the PGAT?

Do you ever question why a season long, 10 year sponsorship of a bonus pool is different from a one off event? As a reminder, there are 47 FedEx cup events each season. That’s $1.4M per event as a comparable equivalent to your claims of $57M - $63M $45M to $50M for just one event.

Still waiting for this talking horse podcast by the way.

Last edited:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Do you ever question why a season long, 10 year sponsorship of a bonus pool is different from a one off event? As a reminder, there are 47 FedEx cup events each season. That’s $1.4M per event as a comparable equivalent to your claims of $57M - $63M for just one event.

Still waiting for this talking horse podcast by the way.

I’m not questioning the value of anything buddy.

And for clarity, the repored figure is 45 to 50 million dollars.