LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 1147

No. It didn't.
Nor was the European Tour founded in 1972.

Both organisations have appropriated and rewritten their histories (repeatedly) to suit (particularly with respect to what counts as an official win) and chosen their own "official" start date for convenience.
There was a tour in place from 1929, it just split from the PGA

wjemather

Visit site
There was a tour in place from 1929, it just split from the PGA
The tournament bureau was created in 1929, but the tournaments (and a tour of sorts) existed before then, and overall control of the schedule and tournaments by the PGAoA (and split from the PGAoA) didn't happen until much later.

D

Deleted member 15344

Got it!

So it's sort of like me saying I'm going to be a Doctor. I've not studied medicine, I've not really even researched getting a degree, I've shown no aptitude for medicine, I also not really interested in it. But...
As for degrees, they’ll come - if the that happens, then I'll have access to patients.
If somehow I don't get a degree - it will just take a little longer to get them in place.

LIV is sort of following the "Wayne's world" approach - book them and they will come!

There is a lot of arrogance coming from LIV ( or should I say the LIVers on social media ) when it comes to what they expect the tour should get

There is the belief that the OWGR should do wholesale changes to ensure their golfers are included , the majors should change their qualifying to ensure they are included and that when they buy the top players then the media companies and Sponsers will flood in

But it’s not happening - the main media deals for golf are from the US Broadcasters and they don’t want to touch them , there is little value in broadcasting their events when even when it’s free on steams etc it still doesn’t get a significant amount of eyes on

And big sponsers won’t touch events that aren’t seen by people in the main

There is still a lot of toxicity about the tour and social media is just a snapshot of it , getting Rahm is great marketing but he isn’t the player that pushes the needle for the US market - and despite the desires for worldwide appeal - the US market is the big one and that market on the whole is lock stock behind the PGAT

It’s why PIF really want to work with PGAT - because it has everything that LIV really wants but can’t get. And the US media aren’t going to really pay too much for events that are being broadcast when the US is asleep - it’s why the WGC events in China didn’t work well

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A potential stumbling block in the chase for a TV deal could be the amount of advertising time available during a LIV round.
PGA/DPWT show anything up to 10 or more hours of coverage a day...plenty of space to get adverts in. With the large fields, a lot of the coverage isn't quite live so you get a lot of "and a few moments ago on 10 here's X for a birdie" so it's not uncommon to show recorded segments.
With LIV being 5 or so hours start to finish it greatly reduces the number of adverts that can be shown and it's harder to play catch-up when they do.
Just a thought.....

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Diplomatic way of saying 'everyone's changed their tune now Rahm has gone'. Rory happy to kick LIV players out of the Ryder Cup when it was 45 and 50-year-old has-beens, but even he realises there's no point turning up in 2025 if Rahm isn't there.
He’s changed his tune completely,along with others
However when you make a stance for something you believe in,lose friends over,slate friends,call them out over their stance,then because you get FOMO you do a complete u-turn(that will happen) because in the end he will take money from the Saudis,who murder journalists (another stance) .
Rory said months ago “if you can’t beat them then join them (which he will, it’s hypocrisy of the highest order.
Some will overlook this though.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
He’s changed his tune completely,along with others
However when you make a stance for something you believe in,lose friends over,slate friends,call them out over their stance,then because you get FOMO you do a complete u-turn(that will happen) because in the end he will take money from the Saudis,who murder journalists (another stance) .
Rory said months ago “if you can’t beat them then join them (which he will, it’s hypocrisy of the highest order.
Some will overlook this though.
It would be the biggest U-turn in all of sports history if he actually signed for LIV. :ROFLMAO:

evemccc

Visit site
A potential stumbling block in the chase for a TV deal could be the amount of advertising time available during a LIV round.
PGA/DPWT show anything up to 10 or more hours of coverage a day...plenty of space to get adverts in. With the large fields, a lot of the coverage isn't quite live so you get a lot of "and a few moments ago on 10 here's X for a birdie" so it's not uncommon to show recorded segments.
With LIV being 5 or so hours start to finish it greatly reduces the number of adverts that can be shown and it's harder to play catch-up when they do.
Just a thought.....

And that’s a bad thing?!?

Normally TV sports fans cheer when the number of adverts shown on the broadcast of their favourite sport is reduced! 🤣🤣

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
LIV could well end up being PPV - and as for advertising, a lot of that will be inbuilt into the package - JCB have paid a significant sum to host LIV events for two years, but LIV aren’t getting any sponsors…..

D

Deleted member 15344

And that’s a bad thing?!?

Normally TV sports fans cheer when the number of adverts shown on the broadcast of their favourite sport is reduced! 🤣🤣

Think you have missed his point by a significant margin

Built into a lot of the media deals is the ability to put adverts on and sell advertising space during events - if there is no space then the revenue will be low

At times it’s a necessary evil to bring in more revenue
LIV could well end up being PPV - and as for advertising, a lot of that will be inbuilt into the package - JCB have paid a significant sum to host LIV events for two years, but LIV aren’t getting any sponsors…..
PPV ?!!

They can’t even get significant numbers watching it for free let alone getting them to pay for it on a pay per view

And what’s a significant sum that JCB have paid to host , it’s not going to a huge number in the grand scheme of things

D-S

Visit site
I honestly couldn’t care less about the amount of money sponsors or broadcasters will or won’t pay. For that matter I don’t care about any tour‘s revenues or their business model.
I just want to watch the best play against the best relatively regularly at a price similar to what I pay Sky today (even though that is ‘too much’).
If golf goes to PPV I will probably pay for the majors (men and women) the Solheim and Ryder Cups and maybe 1 or 2 other events - hopefully this will be less than I pay now but currently I get a lot more content that I don’t watch.
All the other hits on revenue can come out of player’s pockets. If their purses or sponsorship deals go up or down it will have no effect on performance - I just need to see them play against each other.

WGCRider

Visit site
There is a lot of arrogance coming from LIV ( or should I say the LIVers on social media ) when it comes to what they expect the tour should get

There is the belief that the OWGR should do wholesale changes to ensure their golfers are included , the majors should change their qualifying to ensure they are included and that when they buy the top players then the media companies and Sponsers will flood in

But it’s not happening - the main media deals for golf are from the US Broadcasters and they don’t want to touch them , there is little value in broadcasting their events when even when it’s free on steams etc it still doesn’t get a significant amount of eyes on

And big sponsers won’t touch events that aren’t seen by people in the main

There is still a lot of toxicity about the tour and social media is just a snapshot of it , getting Rahm is great marketing but he isn’t the player that pushes the needle for the US market - and despite the desires for worldwide appeal - the US market is the big one and that market on the whole is lock stock behind the PGAT

It’s why PIF really want to work with PGAT - because it has everything that LIV really wants but can’t get. And the US media aren’t going to really pay too much for events that are being broadcast when the US is asleep - it’s why the WGC events in China didn’t work well

I guess I'm just to simple minded to see the vision. For me the OWGR thing is a bit of a red herring - objectively golf is being played and ranking points should be awarded and ranking decides entry to the majors. The current situation is a bit stupid.
But as for what LIV are hoping to achieve - I'm lost. What they say is clear, but their actions don't match the words.
I don't understand the team golf vision - it might be a thing in the future but today nobody cares but thats going to change - but nobody can explain how.
There is not a single professional sport in the world that survives by prioritising the in person audience over the broadcast audience. But somehow LIV will do this - but nobody can explain how.

WGCRider

Visit site
I honestly couldn’t care less about the amount of money sponsors or broadcasters will or won’t pay. For that matter I don’t care about any tour‘s revenues or their business model.
I just want to watch the best play against the best relatively regularly at a price similar to what I pay Sky today (even though that is ‘too much’).
If golf goes to PPV I will probably pay for the majors (men and women) the Solheim and Ryder Cups and maybe 1 or 2 other events - hopefully this will be less than I pay now but currently I get a lot more content that I don’t watch.
All the other hits on revenue can come out of player’s pockets. If their purses or sponsorship deals go up or down it will have no effect on performance - I just need to see them play against each other.
Do you remember when the government in the UK did a review cause Sky was "ripping everyone off" with football rights. Their grand plan was that the rights had to be unbundled in the interests of the consumer. Worked out great for the consumer - now we pay the same as before for Sky plus we pay Amazon and BT - all to get what we had before anyway.

I do disagree with this - you should care. If they are not making money they do not have a sustainable model and the sport you want to watch won't be there for long.

D-S

Visit site
I do disagree with this - you should care. If they are not making money they do not have a sustainable model and the sport you want to watch won't be there for long.
The sport will always be there. Jack and Annie played for very little money relative to today. Bobby Jones played for nothing. It is certainly not the case that the more the money the better the competition. Perhaps the broadcast might not be as hyped or even as professional but the sport will still be there.

D

Deleted member 15344

Two of the biggest u turns have already been done

Rahm - hates the format , “we don’t need any more money” etc -

And Phil Mickleson - what did he call the Saudis again - scary bleep bleep

D

Deleted member 15344

How much do you think Phil - what would be the number that you'd put on it?

Well for other tours it’s the tour that pays “rent” to a golf course to host the event , JCB was paid to host senior events , Centurion was paid to host LIV events , Valderama was paid to host LIV events - so now JCB are paying to host the event ?

What’s the break down of the deal ?

Do the club take all the ticket profits , all the merchandising

How much are they paying to host

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Well for other tours it’s the tour that pays “rent” to a golf course to host the event , JCB was paid to host senior events , Centurion was paid to host LIV events , Valderama was paid to host LIV events - so now JCB are paying to host the event ?

What’s the break down of the deal ?

Do the club take all the ticket profits , all the merchandising

How much are they paying to host

I don’t know the breakdown of the deal. But if JCB are paying to host it and cover the prize money, it's going to be a significant amount of money, right?