LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 1147

Your opinion of course but that’s not been my reading of the theme of this thread when folk are listing the virtues of pgat and the deficiencies of liv. Entry qualification is there but it hasn’t been the No1 LIV/PGAT main differentiator (but i acknowledge it may be for you)

In no order, it’s been:
Doing it for the money
No cut
Limited field
Irrelevant teams
54 holes
Shotgun
Entry Route to play
Wearing Shorts

Depending on how each person chooses to list these for themselves, the Sentry could easily be a similar beast to liv exhibition events
I was just replying to your point that Sentry is limited field, no cut & loads a money.

I couldn't give a crap about most of the discussion points/issues most people have. For me it's just a case of some players going to LIV so I won't see them play except in whatever Majors they have qualified for.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I was just replying to your point that Sentry is limited field, no cut & loads a money.

Fair enough, when i said Sentry is limited field, no cut & loads a money. I was just replying to the point made that sentry was "proper golf" and liv is a circus... but both seem to have a lot of the 'big ticket' features in common
(maybe the person I replied to wasn't actually aware of how unlike a regular pgat event the sentry is)

I have no dog in the fight either way. I'll watch (free) content from all tours, but I just don't think big talking point features like 'limited field, no cut & loads a money' can be both a circus & proper golf depending largely on which Tour flag flies over the clubhouse that week

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I do sometime wonder if people’s grievance with LIV is not that it’s taken players away from the PGAT, but that it’s taken them away from their subscription TV packages - hence devaluing their viewing.

If folks want to watch Jon Rahm and whoever else chooses to join him in a few weeks time, it’s really, rally easy to do so.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Fair enough, when i said Sentry is limited field, no cut & loads a money. I was just replying to the point made that sentry was "proper golf" and liv is a circus... but both seem to have a lot of the 'big ticket' features in common
(maybe the person I replied to wasn't actually aware of how unlike a regular pgat event the sentry is)

I have no dog in the fight either way. I'll watch (free) content from all tours, but I just don't think big talking point features like 'limited field, no cut & loads a money' can be both a circus & proper golf depending largely on which Tour flag flies over the clubhouse that week

There have been limited fields , no cut and bigger money for years

WGC’s did that , Fed Ex events , Race To Dubai events etc

The difference most highlight is the events on the other tours are ones that players are required to qualify by their performances on the course as opposed to the their name or what contract they have been given , also the fields could change on a regular basis - if someone played well , they got into the events- the same with getting into majors - earning their way into those events

For the LIV events there is prob only 3 players in think it is that have qualified for those events via their recent qualifying series

But it’s more than just “ no cut , limited field “ etc that people have an issue with when it comes to LIV

I liken it to the recent European Super league where someone came in and offered a lot of money to persuade clubs to join a new league - football fans were up in arms about it and talked about greed etc etc - that’s no different than LIV

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It’s mostly the people involved and the constant stream of BS that spews forth from the tribe of LiV social media accounts.

I do struggle to see the appeal of supporting a golf league. Especially one set up for the reasons LiV was.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rory should have been a politician with his massive U-turn.
He’s realised he’s missed out on a £500 million payday.
He’s finally realised his criticism of the first defectors was rash( obviously now forgetting any morals he had).
He now wants the Ryder cup rules changed because JR left the tour,when previously saying “they’ve made their beds”.
Does anyone really believe if he was made a £500 million offer he would have turned it down.
I hope and I’m sure it will all come back together,and he gets Diddly squat.
Watching him on Stick to football he actually comes across ok.
Imo you have morals and standards and you stick by them,not chopping and changing to suit,especially when the main reason is money.

evemccc

Visit site
Rory should have been a politician with his massive U-turn.
He’s realised he’s missed out on a £500 million payday.
He’s finally realised his criticism of the first defectors was rash( obviously now forgetting any morals he had).
He now wants the Ryder cup rules changed because JR left the tour,when previously saying “they’ve made their beds”.
Does anyone really believe if he was made a £500 million offer he would have turned it down.
I hope and I’m sure it will all come back together,and he gets Diddly squat.
Watching him on Stick to football he actually comes across ok.
Imo you have morals and standards and you stick by them,not chopping and changing to suit,especially when the main reason is money.
Why would you think that?!?

‘The Two Garys’ certainly didn’t with regards the Qatar World Cup, and their sanctimonious posturing about all and sundry

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why would you think that?!?

‘The Two Garys’ certainly didn’t with regards the Qatar World Cup, and their sanctimonious posturing about all and sundry
I think it because it true
Others have done it and others will question them.
Rory to me was a spokesman for the tour,he questioned people’s loyalty and morals.
He’s now backtracking because of FOMO

wjemather

Visit site
The PGA Tour started in 1929, it has a long and storied history, which will not be wiped out very easily.
No. It didn't.
Nor was the European Tour founded in 1972.

Both organisations have appropriated and rewritten their histories (repeatedly) to suit (particularly with respect to what counts as an official win) and chosen their own "official" start date for convenience.

D

Deleted member 15344

There seems to be IMO a narrative that Rory has made some u turn about playing on LIV etc which is clearly not the case.

I think he still is in the same thought that he won’t be playing LIV in its current format and that they know that hence why they haven’t given him an offer and nothing he has said has changed that

Rory always speaks honestly and what he is feeling at the time - he is very passionate about the PGAT because that’s the tour that made him the golfer he is and it’s why he will defend the tour - there have been plenty out there throwing rubbish at him but I don’t see his principals have changed at all

He admitted that he thought they wouldn’t get any more big players but then Rahm happened and said he can see why he went when offered that amount - doesn’t mean that Rory will do the same or even consider it

He knows he is already rich enough through his performances

But he won’t imo go to LIV in its current format and the way it is

If it changes and becomes a full blown team event outside the main season that players qualify for ( as opposed to being paid to be on ) then it’s prob something he would be interested

I’ll take Rory being open and honest all day over players being told when and where they can speak and clearly being told what to say which is what’s happening with LIV

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I think it because it true
Others have done it and others will question them.
Rory to me was a spokesman for the tour,he questioned people’s loyalty and morals.
He’s now backtracking because of FOMO
Did I miss something? Has Rory signed for LiV?

WGCRider

Visit site
It doesn’t need to generate wealth for LIV yet.
And while the series is funded from the PIF, they don’t need sponsors. At this stage they’re building up the value of the product so when sponsors come onboard, the revenue is optimised. This is all basic stuff - and the Saudis committed to funding LIV for x number of years (can’t remember what it was off the top of my head)

As for TV deals, they’ll come - if the merger happens, then LIV have access to those deals.
If the merger doesn’t happen, they’ll negotiate their own - it will just take a little longer to get them in place.

LIV is 22 events old. When they’ve had 100, the whole pro golf world will look completely different.
Got it!

So it's sort of like me saying I'm going to be a Doctor. I've not studied medicine, I've not really even researched getting a degree, I've shown no aptitude for medicine, I also not really interested in it. But...
As for degrees, they’ll come - if the that happens, then I'll have access to patients.
If somehow I don't get a degree - it will just take a little longer to get them in place.

LIV is sort of following the "Wayne's world" approach - book them and they will come!

Captain_Black.

Visit site
There seems to be IMO a narrative that Rory has made some u turn about playing on LIV etc which is clearly not the case.

I think he still is in the same thought that he won’t be playing LIV in its current format and that they know that hence why they haven’t given him an offer and nothing he has said has changed that

Rory always speaks honestly and what he is feeling at the time - he is very passionate about the PGAT because that’s the tour that made him the golfer he is and it’s why he will defend the tour - there have been plenty out there throwing rubbish at him but I don’t see his principals have changed at all

He admitted that he thought they wouldn’t get any more big players but then Rahm happened and said he can see why he went when offered that amount - doesn’t mean that Rory will do the same or even consider it

He knows he is already rich enough through his performances

But he won’t imo go to LIV in its current format and the way it is

If it changes and becomes a full blown team event outside the main season that players qualify for ( as opposed to being paid to be on ) then it’s prob something he would be interested

I’ll take Rory being open and honest all day over players being told when and where they can speak and clearly being told what to say which is what’s happening with LIV
I've read Rory's comments comparing the IPL to LIV & his ideas on LIV being involved in maybe off season team golf which maybe OK as a passing interest.
The one thing I don't agree with him on however, is altering the rules to allow Rahm to play in the Ryder Cup.
The defectors knew the consequences of joining LIV, the authorities must stick to their guns on that issue.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I was under the impression that Rahm is eligible for the RC as he has not resigned his membership of the DPWT.....
Others, OK,e Westy, did and therefore were ineligible.?.
I could, of course, be imagining this.....

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Got it!

So it's sort of like me saying I'm going to be a Doctor. I've not studied medicine, I've not really even researched getting a degree, I've shown no aptitude for medicine, I also not really interested in it. But...
As for degrees, they’ll come - if the that happens, then I'll have access to patients.
If somehow I don't get a degree - it will just take a little longer to get them in place.

LIV is sort of following the "Wayne's world" approach - book them and they will come!

Interesting analogy ….:ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 15344

I was under the impression that Rahm is eligible for the RC as he has not resigned his membership of the DPWT.....
Others, OK,e Westy, did and therefore were ineligible.?.
I could, of course, be imagining this.....
Yes he is still a DP tour member and eligible to play in events provided fines are paid etc etc

He can gain a place in the same way Koepka did - doing well in majors