LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 1147

Can you elaborate on that mate.

If LIV are creating a position where players can’t play on other tours, how come 5 of the last 6 winners on the DPWT are LIV players?
PGA tour rules stated that members couldn’t play on another tour based mainly in North America.
LIV is such a tour, therefore players had to choose which tour they wanted to play on. Eg Rahm went to the opposition tour.

The Sentry tournament of champions is on the PGA tour not the European tour. So different rules.

For the European tour, as long as they paid the fines, they can continue to play. Also some of the events you mentioned were co-sanctioned by the Sunshine tour, on which the Saffer players are probably ok to play.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
PGA tour rules stated that members couldn’t play on another tour based mainly in North America.
LIV is such a tour, therefore players had to choose which tour they wanted to play on. Eg Rahm went to the opposition tour.

The Sentry tournament of champions is on the PGA tour not the European tour. So different rules.

For the European tour, as long as they paid the fines, they can continue to play.

So the PGAT have banned Rahm. That’s the reason he can’t play - but he can play on the DPWT if he pays a nominal fine.

Tell me, who is shooting themselves in the foot here?

D

Deleted member 1147

So the PGAT have banned Rahm. That’s the reason he can’t play - but he can play on the DPWT if he pays a nominal fine.

Tell me, who is shooting themselves in the foot here?
I don’t really care, just so long as I can watch good golf on my TV.
Which I can do now just as well as I could before.
Hence, no changes were or are necessary.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
So the deadline is being extended until March, (Telegraph reporting) which essentially means a deal is more or less done, and they need more time to iron out the finer details.

WGCRider

Visit site
In fact, LIV golf probably has about the same relevance to elite golf that the IPL has to international cricket.
Nobody cares if the Bombay Whatsit's beat the Punjab Doda's.
You are very much mistaken in you assessment of the IPL vs international cricket.
Some of the very best players in the world play almost no cricket other than the IPL because they make more money in 6 weeks than they do the rest of the year.
Usman Kawaja has spend more time batting in test cricket this year than the entire South African test team put together!
South Africa beat India inside 3 days today but you need not worry they will not play England, Australia or India again until 2026 at the earliest. They are due to play New Zealand in February but they will send what would likely pass as their C team to play the series cause the best players are playing for the IPL owners in another series - but yeah international cricket is thriving.

D

Deleted member 21445

The rule is any event/tour anywhere in the world.
Regardless of which country the event/tour is in, the player has to apply for a release for permission to play in that event.

Just for reference this is why the PGAT is currently under investigation by the Department Of Justice for possible Anti Trust violations.

IF found guilty the tour will have to change its rules and players will have more freedom to choose where they want to play.
It would be a ruling similar to the Bosman ruling in football (Soccer) , I say that meaning where the power would be handed more to the players to have more say in where they choose to play their sport.

This is also a very important part of the framework agreement negotiations and why bringing in extra private equity investors helps tick that box.

If this agreement happens then PGAT, LIV Golf, DPWT and The Asian Tour all come under the same ownership which is basically professional golf.
The DOJ doesnt want to see the landscape looking like either the PGAT or the PIF own professional golf.

D

Deleted member 21445

You would think there is going to be some sort of an official announcement of the deadline being extended today ?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
You would think there is going to be some sort of an official announcement of the deadline being extended today ?

Given it’s Sunday, and NYE, surely it would have been logical to make the announcement already, unless there’s a chance to meet the deadline and negotiations are still active?

I was reading a newsletter the other day on how the PIF invests and works with its portfolio companies - and from reading it, I’d imagine they need to find some clarity about how NewCo will be managed.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anybody in these people's position has the money to employ a full time minder / driver

There is zero excuse for it

Same with young premier league players , should hire minders keep them out of trouble in clubs etc and drive them home safe

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Would have probably been better posted in the drink driving thread, rather than this one - it's a serious issue and hopefully HVIII can use the experience to better educate himself and others.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
From that statement from Jay (There hasn't been one from

Do you get the impression that the American voices within the PGAT are having a hard time accepting the changes that investment from PIF would bring about?

It certainly feels like Tiger et al may be trying to protect a faux legacy that they feel can and should only be allowed to exist on a US Tour.
The statement certainly reads like the DPWT are no longer part of a "Strategic Alliance", but that they are secondary in the discussions and also, as has been pointed on twitter there is no word from the PIF, and that the PGAT are looking to extend the discussion period, not that it has been extended.

Are we looking at a scenario where the PGAT go with the PE, and the rest of the pro game including the European Tour, get onboard with the PIF?