LIV Golf

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It hosts most of its events in the US and tried to buy all of the best players.

If they started from scratch with up and coming players from satellite tours, you'd have a point.

But, if you genuinely believe that point, you don't have the capacity to understand the answer. 🤣🤣

And how does offering top players financial remuneration for playing in an additional tour make them a competitor, if those players are free to play wherever they choose?

Captain_Black.

Visit site
The only reason the PGAT has earned the reputation for being the elite tour is down to the prize money they have paid. Don’t be fooled into thinking it’s anything more than that.
So history, prestige & recognised majors count for nothing then?

LIV is direct competition to the PGAT.
Regardless of your claims, but in reality is not recognised by most as elite golf.
In fact, LIV golf probably has about the same relevance to elite golf that the IPL has to international cricket.
Nobody cares if the Bombay Whatsit's beat the Punjab Doda's.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
So history, prestige & recognised majors count for nothing then?

LIV is direct competition to the PGAT.
Regardless of your claims, but in reality is not recognised by most as elite golf.
In fact, LIV golf probably has about the same relevance to elite golf that the IPL has to international cricket.
Nobody cares if the Bombay Whatsit's beat the Punjab Doda's.

And yet the IPL is worth about ten million dollars. But nobody cares about it…

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
No, not really.
It's just a money merry go round, just like LIV
No history, no prestige, no meaning.

Well history takes time. The PGAT isn’t even 50 years old, so I’m not convinced their events are long established in the annals of golf, they just are to people of this generation, but for younger golf fans, based in a completely different continent, that factor won’t even resonate with them.
The money is far more important, to the players, and to the corporate entities that are involved - and the Saudis have a lot of it, and a good understanding of how to generate wealth.
You might not like it, but that’s the reality.
Anyway, let’s hope the merger is agreed, and we can witness the reforms that golf desperately needs sooner, rather than later.

D

Deleted member 1147

And how does offering top players financial remuneration for playing in an additional tour make them a competitor, if those players are free to play wherever they choose?
I think the English language and the common sense of those reading your tweet makes it so.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Well history takes time. The PGAT isn’t even 50 years old, so I’m not convinced their events are long established in the annals of golf, they just are to people of this generation, but for younger golf fans, based in a completely different continent, that factor won’t even resonate with them.
The money is far more important, to the players, and to the corporate entities that are involved - and the Saudis have a lot of it, and a good understanding of how to generate wealth.
You might not like it, but that’s the reality.
Anyway, let’s hope the merger is agreed, and we can witness the reforms that golf desperately needs sooner, rather than later.
The Saudis have wealth. They are employing people from all over the planet to try and help them generate more outside of their oil money.

What reforms was golf desperately in need of that LiV is helping drive?

evemccc

Visit site
Both sides arguing are right - and both are wrong

All this ‘history and prestige’ of the PGA Tour is bunkum….no one cares and really, not very many at all know nor care about who won the last five years of the John Deere Classic, Honda Whatsit, or the Waste Management or AT&T any number of PGA Tour events

History and prestige??? Seriously…?

There is more history and prestige in the German Open, Australian Open, French Open and such national open events —- but, in the late 1990s and onwards ‘money won’ - PGA Tour money..

The only thing actually v important in men’s golf in terms of ‘history and tradition and prestige’ is the majors, the Amateur Champ and the Ryder and Walker Cups

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The Saudis have wealth. They are employing people from all over the planet to try and help them generate more outside of their oil money.

What reforms was golf desperately in need of that LiV is helping drive?

You don’t think pro golf deserves a younger audience than the average of 65 years, or that it should be played globally at elite level?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
And…

When he joined ‘the opposition’ he remained a PGAT member and indicated he hoped to keep playing, so why isn’t he able to do that?
Did he not break the rules of his membership?

You don’t think pro golf deserves a younger audience than the average of 65 years, or that it should be played globally at elite level?
I don’t care what age people who watch golf are. I also suspect you’ll find that younger people are more likely to watch YouTube golfers than pro events.

Is LiV driving participation? Because that is growing the game?

I also don’t care where professional golf is played. It matters not one bit. I like watching US golf because it suits the times I watch it at. Golf in Asia or Aus doesn’t so I don’t watch it. Seems that LiV feel the same as most of their events are in the US.

I watch the majors and a few of the bigger events that have the best fields. Outside of that I couldn’t care less about any particular tour. In fact I find it quite odd that people are LiV supporters.