LIV Golf

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Oh Jon.....what have you done....?
Not signing for LIV - not sure I care too much about it to be honest
But you used the words Growing the Game and I'm not greedy......
Really?
Have they not thought up anything different to make you say?
Pretty sure every golfer joining LIV & every football player joining the Saudi league have said this 😂

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Exhibition golf could suits Rahm's temperament better, and I wouldnt criticise him for going for this type of 3 year sabbatical. Indications that it is a stepping stone to DP Tour for him, rather than a full time return to the PGAT after that.

Question for LIV is how many teams do they think they can fit while maintaining the shotgun (or is that being discarded ?) now that the Toros are being added to the field for him.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Exhibition golf could suits Rahm's temperament better, and I wouldnt criticise him for going for this type of 3 year sabbatical. Indications that it is a stepping stone to DP Tour for him, rather than a full time return to the PGAT after that.

Question for LIV is how many teams do they think they can fit while maintaining the shotgun (or is that being discarded ?) now that the Toros are being added to the field for him.

Thought you said it was dead yesterday?

D

Deleted member 21445

Still room for another 3 teams and can maintain a shotgun start.
Starting 2 teams on 2 par 5s for example.

So in theory could add another 12 players top players to the field and not lose any current players

D

Deleted member 21445

Rory leading up to Marco Simone
" No Liv Golfers should be able to play in the Ryder Cup, They made a decision to go and they have to live with that"

Rory after Rahm goes to Liv
"The DPWT has to rewrite the rules now to allow Liv golfers to play in the Ryder Cup, Jon has to be at Bethpage"

🫣🫣🫣🫣🫣

The first sign that the needle has moved

Barking_Mad

Visit site
The only thing left is for the PGA tour to do a grubby deal that stops the bleeding or else golf will be left with a world darts type situation where the PGA tour is largely a weaker tour to LIV, and the game is forever fractured.

For the game this is really sad to see. Any claimed victory in in all this is just a hollow one imo.

Last edited:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Rory leading up to Marco Simone
" No Liv Golfers should be able to play in the Ryder Cup, They made a decision to go and they have to live with that"

Rory after Rahm goes to Liv
"The DPWT has to rewrite the rules now to allow Liv golfers to play in the Ryder Cup, Jon has to be at Bethpage"

🫣🫣🫣🫣🫣

The first sign that the needle has moved

If anybody can do a U turn, it's yer maun Rory..

I'd imagine the PGAT and DPWT will have caved in long before 2025 - we're not a million miles away from the fractures in golf being healed - the Rahm move just brings it nearer.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
If anybody can do a U turn, it's yer maun Rory..

I'd imagine the PGAT and DPWT will have caved in long before 2025 - we're not a million miles away from the fractures in golf being healed - the Rahm move just brings it nearer.
IMG_6610.jpeg
It’s ok to change you mind 😂

Swango1980

Visit site
that's it then he is now an official 'has been' by anti liver's.

Not going to work today.....oh wait I have retired so I guess I will just go and play golf
as my life has not changed.
He is a has been in my eyes

Not that he isn't a great golfer. But from a personal point of view, I'll never watch LIV in this format, so Rahm is going to become a thing of the past, except for Majors. Just like the rest of them.

Many LIV golfers, of course, had their best years behind them, so we're has beens regardless of what tour they played. But everyone always acknowledged there were a small.number who were probably still in their best years. But they had sold out, like Rahm, so it didn't matter.

I wouldn't watch LIV regardless of who joined btw, including McIlroy. Not unless the format changed drastically

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely the big question is, who else is going to LIV? If Rahm is getting his own team then he needs three others to complete it. Can't imagine he'd be happy with three has-beens or never-weres so I'm guessing that they must have told him that they have three decent golfers lined up to join his team so that they'll be competitive, although for the money he's been offered I'd play with three nobodies, stark naked for a team sponsored by Kim Jong Un. Most of the other teams have already confirmed their lineups so who do we think that these three new signings for Rahm's team are going to be?

D

Deleted member 21445

A player like Rahm going to Liv is HUGE for them and a big blow to the PGAT but what does it mean overall ?

LIV TOUR FUTURE
The notion that Liv was going to roll over to just get involved with the PGAT was just not in the fine print of the framework agreement.
If an agreement is found Liv Events will continue to be a part of the NEW CO tour but probably under a different name and they will have some control.
Why would you spend hundreds of millions on Rahm with a long contract if your going to let the PGAT have control and wrap it all up on the 31st December.
That narrative of Jay being in charge was just in there to pacify the PGAT membership when the shock news of the merger was announced.
Yassir was never going to throw all the Liv players who put their trust in him under the bus.

PLAYERS
Well this could open the door for another wave of top players moving to Liv.
If Rahm can go then in theory bar Rory and Tiger anyone could go.
It looks like the PIF are starting their doubling down like they said they would, so every player in theory has a number.
The way the PGAT has handled this whole situation and lost the respect and trust of their players has only increased the chances of this happening.

FRAMEWORK AGREEMENT
MAKE NO MISTAKE the signing of Rahm is a huge chess move by the PIF regarding trying to find an agreement.
Yassir is saying we can go our own way and I can take your best players.
It gives leverage to the PIF in the talks.
It would appear that the PGAT have engaged other private equity investors opening up the opportunity to not take the PIF money.
These investors will be concerned to have just watched one of their biggest PGAT commodities walk across to the opposition and realise more could go.
Unlike the PIF these PE investors have to get a return on investment in a shorter amount of time.
The return on investment reduces if your product diminishes in value, thats simple business.
A pro golf tours product strength is in the top players it has in its field and any would be PE Investors cant compete with a bottomless pit of money.

HOW DID WE GET HERE
Most of the golfing world blame Liv because they came along and caused disruption that has fractured professional golf.
The truth is they did nothing wrong and the PGL before them tried to do the same thing, although the PGAT acted like they owned professional golf the truth is Liv as a new business came along and challenged an established business in the same way that Dyson came in and challenged Hoover in the vacuum cleaner market.
Just for the record James Dyson offered his design to Hoover who arrogantly sent him packing and he was forced to go his own way, look how that ended up.

The PGA Tours handling of this from start to finish has been so bad and is the main reason we are where we are.

1. They should have spoken to the PIF at the very beginning when they reached out/decided they wanted to invest in golf, if Jay Monahan had engaged with the PIF then Liv would never have even happened.

2. Liv is launched and they arrogantly thought none of their top players would leave the PGAT, a gross misjudgment as 14 of the top 50 players at the time left the PGAT for Liv.

3. Then they take a moral stance to stop more players going paying for 9/11 families to turn up at USA LIV Events to protest

4. They then activate an unsustainable model thinking the sponsors would come up with the cash but the opposite happened , sponsors like Honda and AT&T left.

5. Upon realisation that they are running out of money, cant afford to compete with the PIF they blindside their players , lose their trust/loyalty by announcing merger with the PIF/Liv without even consulting their players.

IMPLICATIONS OF NO AGREEMENT REACHED
If no agreement is reached then the civil war continues and it becomes a war of dollar bills that only has one winner.
Now some will come back on here and say "ahhhh no the PIF need a return , they cant just keep throwing money away"
Well unlike any other private equity investor there is no timeline on that return and if they finish the PGAT off by taking all the best players then they will get their return in time because they will own professional golf.

As unpalatable as that is, it is a possible reality as the worst case scenario with an exodus of top players to the LiV Tour.

CONCLUSION

Is Rahm a knockout punch for the PGAT... No but its a significant blow.
I have said all along that the money always wins and the PIF is unbeatable in that war no matter who your investors are.
The PGAT has to find the best agreement it can involving the PIF or its very existence is under threat.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
He is a has been in my eyes

Not that he isn't a great golfer. But from a personal point of view, I'll never watch LIV in this format, so Rahm is going to become a thing of the past, except for Majors. Just like the rest of them.

Many LIV golfers, of course, had their best years behind them, so we're has beens regardless of what tour they played. But everyone always acknowledged there were a small.number who were probably still in their best years. But they had sold out, like Rahm, so it didn't matter.

I wouldn't watch LIV regardless of who joined btw, including McIlroy. Not unless the format changed drastically

Do you ever play shotgun starts Swango, or do you strop round the clubhouse telling everybody how you can't stand the format whenever the committee suggest having one....

Genuinely, it's your choice what you watch but the Shotgun start does not make it unwatchable imo

Last edited:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Let’s be honest with ourselves,nobody on this forum really has a clue what is actually going on by he scenes on either tours.
Everything is speculation.
Not true? then go back to the start of this thread and read some comments it really is quite funny reading how many got it all wrong.

Rahm joining is massive,only Rory joining would be bigger.
I suspect and only guess more big names could follow,however there’s not room for everyone.
The PGA is certainly weakening slowly.

U-turns are happening, morals are going out the window,money is overtaking the History of the game.

Me personally I have started to watch less golf and that will probably continue until it all comes back together in someway shape or form.