LIV Golf

WGCRider

Visit site
PGAT have officially rejected the Endeavour deal - might suggest that the PIF merger is still going ahead.

And for those of you that wondered where the investment was going to come from in LIV, and that it has failed…

As Phil said - it’s a game of chess and we’re on the first moves…

View attachment 50187
Personally I think the PGA tour and LIV should just get on with there own thing and stop worrying about the other.
Those who joint LIV knew they were getting bus loads of cash, but also knew that they would not get world ranking points and this would mean they likely would miss out on the majors
Similarly those who stayed knew where the cheque book was if they wanted it.
It's like Rugby League splitting from Rugby Union so they could get paid. It's fine. But now you play your game and stop worrying about the other game.

wjemather

Visit site
Personally I think the PGA tour and LIV should just get on with there own thing and stop worrying about the other.
Those who joint LIV knew they were getting bus loads of cash, but also knew that they would not get world ranking points and this would mean they likely would miss out on the majors
Similarly those who stayed knew where the cheque book was if they wanted it.
It's like Rugby League splitting from Rugby Union so they could get paid. It's fine. But now you play your game and stop worrying about the other game.
That would require ignoring that (because of how the PGAT responded) they are competing for the same pool of top-50/top-100 players. It would also require ignoring all the actual issues that precipitated LIV (especially the operating practices of the PGAT), and pretending that those issues have magically gone away.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21445

Some reports saying framework agreement is falling apart.

Fenway Sports Group put in huge bid to usurp PIF.

If true professional Golfs cival war will recommence..

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

the legal cases were dismissed with prejudice, so can’t be re-litigated with the same details.

still, at least it means we’ll still get pages and pages more of tripe posted here from
both sides

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

Source of the above - Shipnuck

Davis Love III saying the PGAT haven't heard from the PIF.

It's as clear as mud what is happening at the moment.

Fenway have not got anywhere near the kind of funding that the Saudis can bring into the game - I suspect that this is Tiger and Rory trying to save the tour from the clutches of the Arabs - they're already in business with Fenway in the TGL - and I suspect they want to extend that relationship.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Source of the above - Shipnuck

Davis Love III saying the PGAT haven't heard from the PIF.

It's as clear as mud what is happening at the moment.

Fenway have not got anywhere near the kind of funding that the Saudis can bring into the game - I suspect that this is Tiger and Rory trying to save the tour from the clutches of the Arabs - they're already in business with Fenway in the TGL - and I suspect they want to extend that relationship.
Given the LIV failure to attract more than a handful of top golfers, it does look like money isnt everything, and so however deep the PIF pockets, that didnt assure them getting a new tour launched.

So its more than a wealth shootout, and a PIF alternative clearly doesnt need to be as wealthy to succeed in securing the PGAT as it more or less is. Some acceptable US fund could be a much better fit.
Which could have PIF bailing out, or moving to womens golf, though that might not be of interest to a Saudi fund.
LIv itself, could be for closure. With PIF wealth, they could just close them down and still honour all their players payments. A big loss, but thats business.

D

Deleted member 21445

I will be shocked if the framework agreement becomes a definitive agreement but hope it happens..

If it is falling apart as reported then I guess we will know for sure by the 31st December which will be here in a jiffy..

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Not sure McIlroy's resignation is relevant to LIV, but he has said recently that he hoped the PIF were the ones to get onboard with the PGAT - so it may have something to do with that. I suspect there are some on the PGAT board that are doing their utmost to reject non US investment, but Rory is seeing the benefits of developing the game more globally than the PGAT are willing - there are a few little hints there in his recent comments.

D

Deleted member 21445

Not sure McIlroy's resignation is relevant to LIV
Its relevant because if Jay , Jimmy and Ed manage to agree a definitive agreement it has to be signed off by the policy board on behalf of the players of which Rory is no longer a part of.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Its relevant because if Jay , Jimmy and Ed manage to agree a definitive agreement it has to be signed off by the policy board on behalf of the players of which Rory is no longer a part of.

Which I alluded to in my reply - Rory wants some of the Saudi money, the PGAT doesn’t really want to accept it, but realistically know they need it.

Rory’s resignation won’t change the outcome though, he’d have towed the line if he’d had to - we know he’s capable of changing his position on an ongoing basis.

My view is he’s just had enough of the politics and wants to focus more on his golf, which I applaud him for if that’s the case.

D

Deleted member 21445

They need to have this success in multiple countries to have longevity.

At the moment miles away from that..