LIV Golf

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interestingly I saw Rory say today that Brooks Koepka should be in the USA team but no one from the ET should be.
Rory knows none of the Europeans in LIV are RC level while 1 to all 4 of the USA LIV golfers are. Koepka is certainly the level, and I am sure will be back post-LIV. The other three are bordeline, but the USA is not short of equivalents more or less as good, so it doesnt really matter. RC is on this year, when, sucked in by the LIV fake news last year it looked like it would be a non event. So nice that we have the real deal to look forward to.

wjemather

Visit site
Yes rule of qualification- but not the fact you needed to be a member of the ET to play , that’s been in place for years and prob since they made it Europe

The Ryder Cup is not being used as a tool - LIV golfers and their fans are using it to try and get their way and once again demanding something else is changed to suit them. It doesn’t work that way

As with entry to majors , the OWGR and playing on other tours - the rules are there nice and simple and clear to understand

If you want to play in the Ryder Cup for Europe be a member of the ET and then look to qualify or try for a Capts pick , it’s the same rules that affected Casey and Knox and weren’t changed to suit them
There seems to be only one statement in this post that is accurate.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Yes rule of qualification- but not the fact you needed to be a member of the ET to play , that’s been in place for years and prob since they made it Europe

The Ryder Cup is not being used as a tool - LIV golfers and their fans are using it to try and get their way and once again demanding something else is changed to suit them. It doesn’t work that way

As with entry to majors , the OWGR and playing on other tours - the rules are there nice and simple and clear to understand

If you want to play in the Ryder Cup for Europe be a member of the ET and then look to qualify or try for a Capts pick , it’s the same rules that affected Casey and Knox and weren’t changed to suit them

Just a Devil’s Advocate point or two….

”It doesn’t work that way” is a bit of the computer says no mentality. As times and circumstances change, so should rules. A rule change might ensure a better Ryder Cup team. Not saying it will, but it might.

As for Casey & Knox; it’s subjective but I think Casey would have been a big plus for the team. Experienced, playing well at the time & fierce enough for the Ryder Cup environment. Knox; would he have been better than other rookies? Knows the PGA Tour. I’m on the fence about him. But not having either available because of the selection criteria was wrong. It’s the best team we want to see, not the 2nd best team.

I think using LIV membership as an excuse not to pick the best team is poor, US or European.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site

”It doesn’t work that way” is a bit of the computer says no mentality. As times and circumstances change, so should rules. A rule change might ensure a better Ryder Cup team. Not saying it will, but it might.

As for Casey & Knox; it’s subjective but I think Casey would have been a big plus for the team. Experienced, playing well at the time & fierce enough for the Ryder Cup environment. Knox; would he have been better than other rookies? Knows the PGA Tour. I’m on the fence about him. But not having either available because of the selection criteria was wrong. It’s the best team we want to see, not the 2nd best team.

I think using LIV membership as an excuse not to pick the best team is poor, US or European.
It isnt an excuse. It a deliberate and legitimate action in the defence of the ET and PGAT against the LIV threat. The motivation is clear, the action effective.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It isnt an excuse. It a deliberate and legitimate action in the defence of the ET and PGAT against the LIV threat. The motivation is clear, the action effective.

The only effect it's having is making both the European Tour, and the Ryder Cup, poorer quality events..
All anybody will talk about in Rome will be LIV
All people are talking about at Muirfield - LIV
What did people talk about at The Masters, The PGA Championship... LIV

This will just go on, and on, and on....

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

And it is restraint of trade by a bully. Wonder how the monopoly’s commission might view it?

Swango1980

Visit site
The only effect it's having is making both the European Tour, and the Ryder Cup, poorer quality events..

I don't remember a lot of chat about LIV at all in any of those events. You only think this is all they talked about as your LIV obsessed.

Even when Koepka won his Major, there was little talk about LIV. It came up a few times, but it was mainly about how well he was playing when talking about Koepka.

When the Ryder Cup arrives, I'm sure the topic of LIV will be mentioned at times. But, it will ultimately be Europe versus USA and fans will enjoy is as or normal, whilst only a handful of LIV nuts will be desperately taking to social media to try and make it all about them.

wjemather

Visit site

Both Casey in 2010 and Knox in 2016 were members of the ET and were available for selection. They were simply overlooked for captain's picks in favour of the captain's mates: Montgomerie selected Harrington, and Clarke selected Westwood.

Casey subsequently resigned from the ET tour in 2015 and consciously made himself unavailable for selection, but the situation is not comparable to now, where the tour have given players virtually no choice but to resign or face repeated fines and suspensions that would prevent them from playing anyway.

wjemather

Visit site
I don't remember a lot of chat about LIV at all in any of those events. You only think this is all they talked about as your LIV obsessed.

Even when Koepka won his Major, there was little talk about LIV. It came up a few times, but it was mainly about how well he was playing when talking about Koepka.

When the Ryder Cup arrives, I'm sure the topic of LIV will be mentioned at times. But, it will ultimately be Europe versus USA and fans will enjoy is as or normal, whilst only a handful of LIV nuts will be desperately taking to social media to try and make it all about them.
LIV was regularly brought up during commentary, one of the first questions Koepka was asked after winning was about LIV and it was repeatedly raised in interviews, LIV appeared in most headlines and LIV was mentioned multiple time in every report. Seems like a lot to me.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

What was the headline story regarding Rory yesterday - Rahm the day before...?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
LIV was regularly brought up during commentary, one of the first questions Koepka was asked after winning was about LIV and it was repeatedly raised in interviews, LIV appeared in most headlines and LIV was mentioned multiple time in every report. Seems like a lot to me.
To be fair, I think yes, LIV is a topic at those events. Or has been so far. LIV is far more prominent in the media at PGAT events than it is at its own. Its the only oxygen it gets now, so struggling and ignored is its own product. A cotest between Chase and Bryson does not entice, but, like this thread, PGAT v LIV still attracts spectators.

D

Deleted member 15344

The situation haven’t changed

It’s the same with the ranking points, entry to majors etc

12 months ago a bunch of golfers were offered a lot of money for playing less on a new golf tour

The tour wasn’t affiliated with anyone or recognised by any of the governing bodies

But it gave the players the opportunity to earn more money in 12 months than most earn in a career

But anyone should have understood that it would come with some sort of consequences and it meant - losing ranking points , affecting the player’s membership on other tours , direct entry into majors and also qualification to Ryder Cups

Now unless GN lied to them and said none of that change then they must have known that

So they then thought - crap I need points to play in majors etc so I’ll still play on the other tours. The other tours quite clearly are going to look after themselves and shut that door , and ever since the LIV golfers and the fan club have done nothing but complain about it all - without once looking inwards and realising - it’s all happening because of their own actions , no one forced them to LIV to take the money , it’s a harsh world and they certainly aren’t going to be able to have all the cake

The players have a choice - play LIV , earn lots of money from small events or play on the other tours , gain points , entry into majors and Ryder cups. That’s the real world choices - it’s all up to the players.

The Ryder Cup won’t be a poorer event , if anything Europe may well have a stronger team when we finally don’t have to have the urge to pick the likes of Poulter etc

And it’s not “all anybody will talk about”

It’s all the likes of you will talk about and media look for clicks - every major event you will be bringing LIV into it. For most of us it will be all about the major or the event that’s happening

Yet when there is an actual LIV event you will stay silent about it 🤷‍♂️

Swango1980

Visit site
As I said it was talked about, just not all that was talked about. For those that have LIV on the brain 24/7, it might appear that way as you get all excited as soon as it is mentioned, or it is all that goes through their heads when they see a LIV player.

But, to those not LIV obsessed, it simply didn't come across that LIV was all that anyone wanted to talk about. It simply felt like watching any other Major, with the occasional comments regarding LIV

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
As I said it was talked about, just not all that was talked about. For those that have LIV on the brain 24/7, it might appear that way as you get all excited as soon as it is mentioned, or it is all that goes through their heads when they see a LIV player.

But, to those not LIV obsessed, it simply didn't come across that LIV was all that anyone wanted to talk about. It simply felt like watching any other Major, with the occasional comments regarding LIV
This may be what you meant to say, but you said it wasn't talked about a lot. It clearly was.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
As Phil keeps on repeating himself over and over again, we are all aware of the choice made by the players.
The European Tour could change the criteria at the drop of a hat if they wanted to and I guarantee they would if they lost Rahm or Rory to either full time on the PGA or LIV.
Right now their is no European player playing LIV that you would put in the team, maybe Garcia because of his record.
But as part of the staff in the background to assist the younger players, LIV have an abundance of players that could help Luke Donald.
Jon Rahm got it right when he said politics has got in the way.

wjemather

Visit site
The situation haven’t changed

It’s the same with the ranking points, entry to majors etc

Please stop repeating this drivel about things (e.g. qualification for tours, majors, owgr, etc.) not changing - they do so on an almost annual basis and have done for decades, and several have changed in direct response to LIV, at the behest of the PGA Tour.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
As Phil keeps on repeating himself over and over again, we are all aware of the choice made by the players.
The European Tour could change the criteria at the drop of a hat if they wanted to and I guarantee they would if they lost Rahm or Rory to either full time on the PGA or LIV.
Right now their is no European player playing LIV that you would put in the team, maybe Garcia because of his record.
But as part of the staff in the background to assist the younger players, LIV have an abundance of players that could help Luke Donald.
Jon Rahm got it right when he said politics has got in the way.

Stop talking sense will you.
There’s nothing wrong with asking hard questions but it’s just been shut down/cancelled by anti LIV supporters who don’t really want to have a reasonable discussion.

D

Deleted member 15344

Please stop repeating this drivel about things (e.g. qualification for tours, majors, owgr, etc.) not changing - they do so on an almost annual basis and have done for decades, and several have changed in direct response to LIV, at the behest of the PGA Tour.

Maybe you need to read what I said

“The Situation hasn’t changed”

Nothing is changing to benefit any golfer that has moved to LIV

If the tours want to change things to suit their own tour then away they go , that’s in their remit as they administer their tour

How a player gains entry into the Ryder Cup is the same as it was 12 months ago , how they gain entry into the majors is fundamentally the same as 12 months ago and it’s the same with how someone gains ranking points

Tours and majors etc “could” change things to suit LIV golfers but there doesn’t appear to be any appetite, same with Ryder Cup entry , certainly nothing about changing things to suit LIV

The Ryder Cup etc appear to be ok missing a few golfers.

That may change in the future but right now it isn’t - things may have adjusted over the years but any time it’s done it’s to suit the governing body and their events - not an external Tour