LIV Golf

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If the likes of Garcia want to qualify then they know the process and what’s needed.
Be European should be the process.
But in the eradication of LIV, its an expedient ploy to exclude them this time.
And it only affects the Americans. Who are strong enough anyway to not damage the tournament.
Had LIV gotten a couple of top Euros; Rahm, Hovland, Fitzpatrick, say, then they could not carry that handicap. And this RC would be void. So this time, the exclusion of LIVers has little effect. I might be a good contest actually.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
When was the European Ryder Cup team ever called "Team European Tour" ?
The event is twice as old as the European Tour anyway - some daft arguments being made in the name of protectionism.

D

Deleted member 25172

1. Click-bait journalism. “Fuming”. Seemed like quite innocuous comments from Rahm, just expressing a sadness about the situation as Garcia clearly is a friend of his.

2. In between watching videos on YouTube on how to fix my driver swing on Sunday the LIV live coverage came up in the feed. During the time I was watching it, the viewing peaked at 3.1k, so looks like they still have some way to go.

3. I whatched the stream myself for a few minutes and the crowds at the venue didn’t look too impressive either.

4. Whilst the PGA coverage are showing too few shots, and this feels strange to say, LIV is showing too many, IMO. It’s just like boom-boom-boom, jumping from one place to another and I find it hard to keep up with. The commentary felt a bit iffy as well with too much “guidance” on things in the sense they had such and such many things that were basically tick-box phrases read from a script. But that’s just me.

The war chest is endless though, so I’m sure it’ll keep going.

AussieKB

Visit site
1. Click-bait journalism. “Fuming”. Seemed like quite innocuous comments from Rahm, just expressing a sadness about the situation as Garcia clearly is a friend of his.

2. In between watching videos on YouTube on how to fix my driver swing on Sunday the LIV live coverage came up in the feed. During the time I was watching it, the viewing peaked at 3.1k, so looks like they still have some way to go.

3. I whatched the stream myself for a few minutes and the crowds at the venue didn’t look too impressive either.

4. Whilst the PGA coverage are showing too few shots, and this feels strange to say, LIV is showing too many, IMO. It’s just like boom-boom-boom, jumping from one place to another and I find it hard to keep up with. The commentary felt a bit iffy as well with too much “guidance” on things in the sense they had such and such many things that were basically tick-box phrases read from a script. But that’s just me.

The war chest is endless though, so I’m sure it’ll keep going.
Glad to hear you watched a little bit, but do not understand how they can show too many shots...
am sick and tired of watching PGA where they show hardly any.

D

Deleted member 15344

I suppose this bloke knows nothing about the game.

Jon Rahm laments loss of Sergio Garcia in Ryder Cup: 'Politics' getting in way of 'beautiful event'​

Maybe Rahm should ask his mate the reason why - he made the choice

When was the European Ryder Cup team ever called "Team European Tour" ?
The event is twice as old as the European Tour anyway - some daft arguments being made in the name of protectionism.

Which governing body looks after the European Ryder Cup Team

Did you have the same questions years back when the likes of Casey and Knox couldn’t play due to not being members of the ET

It’s not a “daft argument” - it’s the qualification rules that are in place and everyone knows them. It’s not something new to stop LIV golfers playing in the Ryder Cup

If a European LIV player who is still a member of the ET gains enough points to qualify then he will

D

Deleted member 25172

Glad to hear you watched a little bit, but do not understand how they can show too many shots...
am sick and tired of watching PGA where they show hardly any.

As said, PGA coverage showings too few. I’d like to see something in between. I do like seeing some pre shot interaction with player and caddie, watch another replay of the previous shot, some stats breaking it up etc etc in between. Not a fan of having the side bar current standings as I find it cluttered.

Horses for courses, as I think the English say.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cannot wait to hear all the arguments after the US have LIV players on the team and ET does not, who do you blame then ?
Nobody. There are no Euro LIVers who would make the team. It would ve nice to see the 1 or 2 Americans who would be at the level, but more expedient to leave them out for the greater good of both tours.

D

Deleted member 15344

Cannot wait to hear all the arguments after the US have LIV players on the team and ET does not, who do you blame then ?

1. I’m not sure what arguments you will expect as i don’t see any LIV Europeans being near RC selection even if they weren’t on LIV

2. Blame ? Blame for what ? The players made a choice

wjemather

Visit site
Nobody. There are no Euro LIVers who would make the team. It would ve nice to see the 1 or 2 Americans who would be at the level, but more expedient to leave them out for the greater good of both tours.
Pieters, García, Casey were all top-60 in the owgr pre-LIV, so reasonable to expect they would have been in the mix, along with one or two others.

There are at least 5 Americans who would have been in with a decent chance if they were playing a full PGAT schedule - there are 4 of them still in with a shout despite only playing in the majors.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They might have been borderline. But are no loss and much of a muchness with those who will be there instead. Koepka however, is a different case he would be a cert for the US.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Maybe Rahm should ask his mate the reason why - he made the choice

Which governing body looks after the European Ryder Cup Team

Did you have the same questions years back when the likes of Casey and Knox couldn’t play due to not being members of the ET

It’s not a “daft argument” - it’s the qualification rules that are in place and everyone knows them. It’s not something new to stop LIV golfers playing in the Ryder Cup

If a European LIV player who is still a member of the ET gains enough points to qualify then he will

My point is Phil, that through the years, the rules of qualification have changed for the betterment of the event. That now needs to happen, but people seem to think it’s ok to use The Ryder Cup as a tool to undermine another golf tour…. Same scenario as the OWGR…

There could well be some future stars who decide to play on LIV, from either Europe or the USA. One team can play them, the other team can’t. Where’s the logic?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It's absolutely comical to suggest Sergio should be in the team. And that's nothing to do with ability (albeit his form is questionable). Equally important is to form a team unit and Sergio has long since burned his bridges with his childish outbursts about the ET and some of the guys who would be his team mates.

Different conversation entirely about most of the other LIV players but even if Sergio magically became the undisputed best player in the world he'd still be completely unpickable.

Arguably the best player in the world disagrees with you….

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My point is Phil, that through the years, the rules of qualification have changed for the betterment of the event. That now needs to happen, but people seem to think it’s ok to use The Ryder Cup as a tool to undermine another golf tour…. Same scenario as the OWGR…

There could well be some future stars who decide to play on LIV, from either Europe or the USA. One team can play them, the other team can’t. Where’s the logic?
In the use of one more lever to discourage defectors.

Many have been pulled : elevated events, ET PGAT tie up. World rankings sluggishness. Financial penalties. Legal redress. Ryder Cup is just one more gun in the arsenal, albeit a small one I would guess. And a small price to pay, in the greater scheme.

They had to pull everything, and the sum of all actions is a stymying of LIV. And so actions are vindicated.

LIVers crying foul about the rights and wrongs, and traditions and ethos of the Ryder Cup ring very hollow. Their goal was to blow up the PGAT...

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Ooh has turned into a Ryder Cup thread!
Anyway
As said, PGA coverage showings too few. I’d like to see something in between. I do like seeing some pre shot interaction with player and caddie, watch another replay of the previous shot, some stats breaking it up etc etc in between. Not a fan of having the side bar current standings as I find it cluttered.

Horses for courses, as I think the English say.
As you say, horses for courses. I was just thinking as DC drew to a close how annoyingly slow the coverage had become - seemed to me to be heading closer to PGAT fare - guess trying to panda to possible recent try outs.
I'm okay with the side bar, like how the distance to flag is on there so not relying on a commentator to tell you.
What's the phrase - you can't please everyone all of the time!

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes rule of qualification- but not the fact you needed to be a member of the ET to play , that’s been in place for years and prob since they made it Europe

The Ryder Cup is not being used as a tool - LIV golfers and their fans are using it to try and get their way and once again demanding something else is changed to suit them. It doesn’t work that way

As with entry to majors , the OWGR and playing on other tours - the rules are there nice and simple and clear to understand

If you want to play in the Ryder Cup for Europe be a member of the ET and then look to qualify or try for a Capts pick , it’s the same rules that affected Casey and Knox and weren’t changed to suit them

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes rule of qualification- but not the fact you needed to be a member of the ET to play , that’s been in place for years and prob since they made it Europe

The Ryder Cup is not being used as a tool - LIV golfers and their fans are using it to try and get their way and once again demanding something else is changed to suit them. It doesn’t work that way

As with entry to majors , the OWGR and playing on other tours - the rules are there nice and simple and clear to understand

If you want to play in the Ryder Cup for Europe be a member of the ET and then look to qualify or try for a Capts pick , it’s the same rules that affected Casey and Knox and weren’t changed to suit them

Interestingly I saw Rory say today that Brooks Koepka should be in the USA team but no one from the ET should be. he's so uptight he's never winning another Major.