LIV Golf

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I cancelled my tv subscription & now rely on ytube highlights

Managed to watch the PGAT, LIV & some LPGA over the weekend, the standard of golf was similar and other than on screen graphics and players wearing shorts, the two mens tours were pretty indistinguishable from each other

Pgat had 70 players taking part and 48 on liv but I couldn’t discern that difference on tv and certainly the highlights didn’t contain footage of the also-rans anyway. Galleries appeared similar in size around the leaders/names.
Its easy to just say ‘other than the source of funding’… but since I’m not the fella that’ll be doing anything to address that then I guess I can say, other than the source of funding they were both entertaining… just wrapped up differently

I’d prefer LPGA coverage compared to US based mens golf, but they were kinda stingy with the length of highlight clips & match-play isn’t my cup of viewing anyway

Switched to dash cam crashes after that so I’ll need to catch up with ET highlights over the next day or two

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I knew it was on. However, and this probably says more about the MSM than LIV, I recently came off twitter and hadn't seen anything about this event. I came into the thread just now to find out who won. Only a passing comment on that in here even.

On the question of crowds. Do we think the shotgun format affects how the crowds look? I mean are they spread out more across the course than at a "traditional" event.
I think 30k to 40k for most tournaments is about typical and looks well attended on TV. Presume more people are static at a LIV tournament, as the players are doing a full rotation, and probably less interest in following a given group. Then again, its a 5 hour show rather than 10 or whatever, and that probably takes down their overall numbers, while looking similar to a normal tournament.

It seems to have died a quick death, not even getting a Koepka boost in any way.
It has to be questionable whether they can fulfill this years schedule at all given its almost total obscurity in public perception ?

Does a LIV tournament falling in the wood make any noise if nobody is there to hear it ?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
It seems to have died a quick death, not even getting a Koepka boost in any way.
It has to be questionable whether they can fulfill this years schedule at all given its almost total obscurity in public perception ?
Where do you get this drivel from?!

Just 3 events ago they had 60k in Australia and it looked really well supported with record TV viewership... now it's died a death.

What makes you think they won't be able to complete the years schedule?

D

Deleted member 15344

Where do you get this drivel from?!

Just 3 events ago they had 60k in Australia and it looked really well supported with record TV viewership... now it's died a death.

What makes you think they won't be able to complete the years schedule?

There is no doubt that the event in Australia was their biggest and most successful event so far. It’s prob something they should build on and have more events over there

D

Deleted member 1147

There is no doubt that the event in Australia was their biggest and most successful event so far. It’s prob something they should build on and have more events over there
Originally it was meant to be about taking the game around the world, dare I say “growing the game”. But most events seem to be in the US instead.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Looking at the crowds(?) at the last event reminded me of quite a few European tour events I’ve been to in Spain, France & Portugal. Apart from the last day, or maybe the Saturday too, you might be behind the ropes with 8 or 10 people. It’s millionaires spectating. And you’ll see a number of players out and about of an evening in the restaurants and bars. They’re not mobbed because there isn’t that many golfers there spectating and then out on an evening.

I wouldn’t necessarily use the crowd you see on a tv as a true measure of its popularity.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I expect you'll dismiss it, but here's something to read and think about before writing LIV off too quickly: Approaching One Year in Business, LIV Golf Execs Vow Improvement: 'We're Not Going Anywhere' by Alex Miceli (SI)
Thats some informercial, from 'the executive'.
Its worth a read folks. Choice gem : “We've always acknowledged and knew that it would take time for them to become fully established and fully commercially mature. And in terms of what that looks like, it's almost limitless."
Almost limitless. But not quite. Colour me impressed.

Visit site
I expect you'll dismiss it, but here's something to read and think about before writing LIV off too quickly: Approaching One Year in Business, LIV Golf Execs Vow Improvement: 'We're Not Going Anywhere' by Alex Miceli (SI)
I'd challenge the claim of $100m benefit to Adelaide's local ecomomy, even with the - free to ticket-holders - Friday night apres golf concert! The 7 matches over 4 days of the ICC T20 World Cup held in the same city, in November 2022 and involving 100K spectators, didn't generate that much! https://www.premier.sa.gov.au/media-releases/news-items/icc-t20-delivers-almost-$95-million-to-sa

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
But Jon, it has never been a Ryder Cup tradition that players get to pick their fellow country men who are past it just because they like to have them along.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ryder Cup is for golfers at the top of their games, not semi-retired heroes of Ryder Cups past.
What could be an opportunity, if LIV keeps going, would be a Champions Tour team versus a LIV team, even though the small pool LIV would have to select from would put them at a disadvantage. Could still be fun to Stricker v Poulter, Harrington v Michelson, Els v Smith, and the likes.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ryder Cup is for golfers at the top of their games, not semi-retired heroes of Ryder Cups past.
What could be an opportunity, if LIV keeps going, would be a Champions Tour team versus a LIV team, even though the small pool LIV would have to select from would put them at a disadvantage. Could still be fun to Stricker v Poulter, Harrington v Michelson, Els v Smith, and the likes.

Whilst this is semi true then Sergio, Westwood and poulter shouldn't have been at the last one

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
The best players from Europe / America should be picked regardless of which tour they play on, you’ve got to think Sergio / Poulter could still be a massive help, even if it’s not playing.

D

Deleted member 15344

The best players from Europe / America should be picked regardless of which tour they play on, you’ve got to think Sergio / Poulter could still be a massive help, even if it’s not playing.

It’s not been that way for decades anyway with Europeans that have not been members of the ET haven’t been picked or have had issues

They all know the qualifying criteria , it’s not new , be member of the ET , gains points via the recongnised events -play in the Ryder Cup

The Ryder Cup has worked very successfully using that format

If the likes of Garcia want to qualify then they know the process and what’s needed.