LIV Golf

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I'm sure it isn't true, unless Kim has been playing pro golf somewhere, and has proved and gained credibility that he can compete at that level. I doubt even LIV would stop so low? Otherwise, they could just start asking other golfers who fell off face of the planet years ago (thinking names like Jeff Overton, Boo Weekly). Signing Kim seems almost as unlikely as signing Gareth Bale, who by what I've heard, isn't half bad (for an amateur at least)
Yeah, probably some people sit there starting rumours to see whichs ones run.

AK is a fascination in the US though

https://golf.com/news/sad-legend-anthony-kim-oklahoma/?amp=1

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Dustin Johnson
Brooks Koepka
Cameron Smith
Bryson DeChambeau
Phil Mickelson
Henrik Stenson
Patrick Reed
Sergio Garcia
Bubba Watson
Louis Ostheizen
Joaqauin Niemann
Paul Casey
Lee Westwood
Ian Poulter
Martin Kaymer
Marc Leishman
Matthew Wolff
Talor Gooch
Kevin Na

Now we all know that it’s overwhelmingly due to pots of money..
But let’s be real, that isn’t a bad set of golfers for a start-up Tour to get in 12 months
They had them in 6 months. And none in the last 6.
That list has 5 relevant to todays top golf, names on it. The rest are vintage 10 years ago. Its a decent list for a semi-seniors tour. Its the Champions tour you could actually see LIV usurping.

evemccc

Visit site
That list has 5 relevant to todays top golf, names on it. The rest are vintage 10 years ago. Its a decent list for a semi-seniors tour. Its the Champions tour you could actually see LIV usurping.

You’re right — that list has golfers who’ve only won 12 Majors SINCE McIlroy last won a Major.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
And how many Majors have benn won by non-LIV players since Rory last won a Major..?
Thats a nothing stat..obviously LIV are scared of Rory because everything is about Rory...:rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 15344

Just seen this....the guy hasn't played competitive golf in over a decade...has no world ranking, no status on any Tour....1nothing but a name from 10-12 years ago....
That needle might not move at all.....

And, apparently, another executive has left...Greg's going to be a busy boy.....

Kim always seems to have his “aura” around him over in the US

He was clearly a talented golfer but his main highlight was the Ryder Cup in 2008 - and even Boo Weekly did well then

He appears to be the one that would have reigned the golfing world without the wrist injury

Would be car crash if they grabbed him but funny

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm sure it isn't true, unless Kim has been playing pro golf somewhere, and has proved and gained credibility that he can compete at that level. I doubt even LIV would stop so low? Otherwise, they could just start asking other golfers who fell off face of the planet years ago (thinking names like Jeff Overton, Boo Weekly). Signing Kim seems almost as unlikely as signing Gareth Bale, who by what I've heard, isn't half bad (for an amateur at least)

it was mentioned by a top teaching pro so might have more creditability than some stories that have come out

wjemather

Visit site
I'm sure this must have been said already (countless times, probably), but these are not valid criticisms.

It's ridiculous to dismiss from relevance players who were ranked inside the owgr top-50 less than 7/8 months ago, prior to being suspended by the PGA Tour (where big points are available for mediocre, or even dead last, finishes), of which there were more than a dozen. Players who were just outside the top-50 should not be dismissed so easily either.

It's also unreasonable to focus on and dismiss the small minority who are over-45 and send everyone into retirement, when many have been competitive on tour and in majors during recent seasons, even winning on occasion.

Also, to be pedantic, many of the players listed joined LIV later, so within the last 6 months.

evemccc

Visit site
And how many Majors have benn won by non-LIV players since Rory last won a Major..?
Thats a nothing stat..obviously LIV are scared of Rory because everything is about Rory...:rolleyes:

The difference is the constant noise from those who either hate LIV, or bizarrely, see themselves as a kind of PGA Tour defender - and claim that no good players have departed for Liv

You don’t see Mel or anyone else trying to pretend that the PGA Tour is finished because it has ‘about 5 real players who matter’

If someone is as biased and affected by their likes/dislikes and emotions as that, there is no point giving their point of views any credence

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Anybody would think every PGAT event is rammed full of the top 50 golfers in the world - when they aren’t.

LIV guarantees that you will see some of the best golfers out there, multiple major winners, and highly regarded golfers.

In that respect their events sit just below the majors and a couple of tour events. TPC being one of those.

And before anybody tells me I’m wrong, that’s the reason the PGAT introduced their elevated status events. We’ll see how that stacks up against the LIV series as we move forward.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes, because surely the usurping of the PGL by the Saudi’s - by withdrawing their funding and stealing the idea to start what is now LIV - meant the PGL in its original guise didn’t get off the ground

But @Liverpoolphil the original point was that many people are strongly anti-Liv because it’s not a tour and a closed-shop…and I asked would you have been against it…because a lot of those who are helping to fly the flag of the PGA Tour now (No Laying Up for example) were fairly positive towards it…and the Tour’s biggest star Rory was fairly ambivalent about it for years..

Things evolve and clearly by the second article you linked they have. The CEO of the PGL sees the wind of change that LIV have precipitated - massive increased money to the top players both in PIP and in Tour purses, as well as somewhat of a half-way house to an elite 48 player field by way of ‘elevated events’ — he now wants to work with the Tour

But Phil, it’s not and never has been the “opposite of LIV” — the principle of an elite 48 person tour of star players….you SHOULD be absolutely against because that is the reason you and others have given for their opposition to Liv

The main problem for me has always been the closed nature of the LiV. In terms of funding it's not so much where it's coming from, though I find I difficult to believe anyone is truly comfortable with it, but it's complete lack of sustainability. Which I guessing is why PGL never got off the ground.

So would I have been opposed to PGL, with the only difference being it's funding, as sure as hell I would. Would I have been opposed if there had been an agreement between the tours, I think that would have very much dependent on the nature of the agreement how the "elite 48" were selected and whether it could ever be in sustainable. Its clear to me that last of these would have been a clear yes, otherwise it would never have got an agreement with the main tours.

Swango1980

Visit site
The difference is the constant noise from those who either hate LIV, or bizarrely, see themselves as a kind of PGA Tour defender - and claim that no good players have departed for Liv

You don’t see Mel or anyone else trying to pretend that the PGA Tour is finished because it has ‘about 5 real players who matter’

If someone is as biased and affected by their likes/dislikes and emotions as that, there is no point giving their point of views any credence
I assume you are not talking about people on this thread, but talking about some crude arguments made elsewhere in social media? I've not heard anyone saying that all 48 LIV players are bad players?

Why would Mel Smooth say the PGA Tour is finished either? You can make dramatic claims about how great LIV is, without having to say the PGA Tour is finished. If either TOUR is likely to be "finished" in the future, odds are it will be LIV. That isn't me having a go at LIV in the sense I don't find it appealing, it is more a simply case that the PGA Tour is established, sustainable, and has emerging talent coming into it all the time. LIV is not established, sustainable as yet and no real route to freshen the field.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Here, here ?

"But McIlroy confirmed that on Thursday morning he had spoken to Reed at their hotel and informed him of the rain delay which cost the tournament six hours play on its opening day.

"Ironically the first person I saw was Patrick Reed," Mcilroy said.

"Look, it's fine. It's been blown out of proportion and once the golf starts it's nice that we can all just focus on the birdies and the bogeys and not all the rest of the nonsense.""

Last edited:

cleveland52

Visit site

LOL!......The PGA, over 100 years.....the PGAT, over 60 years. Yes I'm a fan.

What's laughable is someone being fanatical after eight hit and giggle events.....

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Anybody would think every PGAT event is rammed full of the top 50 golfers in the world - when they aren’t.

LIV guarantees that you will see some of the best golfers out there, multiple major winners, and highly regarded golfers.

In that respect their events sit just below the majors and a couple of tour events. TPC being one of those.

And before anybody tells me I’m wrong, that’s the reason the PGAT introduced their elevated status events. We’ll see how that stacks up against the LIV series as we move forward.
I don't hear anyone suggesting anything of the sort. But is is pretty undeniable that there are more events on the PGA Tour than on LiV that contain large numbers from the top one hundred. Unless, of course, LiV make an announcement in the next week or two that they have secured another dozen top 100 players. You are welcome to tell me I am wrong then and only then.

evemccc

Visit site
The has-been and past-its on the LIV Tour are doing pretty well in the prestigious DP World Tour event, the Dubai Desert Classic — ohh the two leaders are LIV golfers ?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
And there was me thinking it was the PGAT/Rory fans were the petty ones ??‍♂️?

Do they hand prizes out for being top on a Friday now?