Paul Casey
Lee Westwood
Ian Poulter
Martin Kaymer
Marc Leishman
Matthew Wolff
Talor Gooch
Kevin Na

Now we all know that it’s overwhelmingly due to pots of money..
But let’s be real, that isn’t a bad set of golfers for a start-up Tour to get in 12 months

True
What they have achieved in 8 Events is pretty staggering.
People don't like how they have done it but how else could they get top golfers in the world to turn their back on the pre-eminence tour without offering them a huge financial offer.

There was no other way..

D

Deleted member 21445

Just seen this....the guy hasn't played competitive golf in over a decade...has no world ranking, no status on any Tour....1nothing but a name from 10-12 years ago....
That needle might not move at all.....

And, apparently, another executive has left...Greg's going to be a busy boy.....

I take it everyone knows Anthony Kim stopped playing due to an injury and insurance policy pay out.

I remember that insurance policy stopped paying out if he played competitively again. Maybe the policy stipulated the PGA Tour and tour supported by?

And that's why he can sign with Liv?

Last article I read said he hadnt touched a club for years..

cleveland52

Visit site
The has-been and past-its on the LIV Tour are doing pretty well in the prestigious DP World Tour event, the Dubai Desert Classic — ohh the two leaders are LIV golfers ?
Good for them.......Now we'll have to keep track of all missed cuts and all pathetic finishes.

So, just remember where this tournament stat originated.

D

Deleted member 21445

PGA Tour Coverage had been so set in its ways for 20+years.

Liv Golf comes along and all of a sudden they

Get the dead wood out and bring in new younger analysts in Kaufman and Immelman moves up into the head Booth.
Ball tracking drone shots in Maui
Live talk with Max Homa while he is playing shots at Torry.

I'm sure we will see more innovation from both tours to make the coverage better, some will work, some won't.

It has forced the US networks to up their game as they are in a fight now to keep their viewers in the future.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I was thinking earlier whilst listening to the Sky golf podcast and Ewan McGregor brought up the fact that a couple of of the LIV directors had moved on and how it might indicate all not being well behind the scenes. Its been mentioned a couple of times on here as well and my thoughts are that I don't think an awful lot can be read into this. My experience from working with the Saudis, especially where the PIF is concerned, is that there is quite a lot of movement between PIF funded companies in general, especially for those with high potential. I know of a number of Saudis that have been poached by PIF companies and, from speaking to a couple of them before they left their roles that I was engaged with them in, it seems that some of the job offers and salaries they get are obscene.

Tldr: its likely that the LIV execs who've moved on simply got a better offer elsewhere.

Swango1980

Visit site

Get the dead wood out and bring in new younger analysts in Kaufman and Immelman moves up into the head Booth.

I'm sure we will see more innovation from both tours to make the coverage better, some will work, some won't.

It has forced the US networks to up their game as they are in a fight now to keep their viewers in the future.
Is this how LIV is improving the game as well?

I mean, the PGA coverage has improved in the last decade since I started watching it. Nearly always now use ball tracking technology, have done for quite a few years. Drones were always going to come along and be used, and I'm sure I've seen several tournaments where they've microphoned up a player or two in the past. Especially during this part of the season, seems a bit more of a relaxed period. Didn't Faldo choose to retire as a pundit last year? If so, perhaps that has lead to a refresh in the punditry team.

I honestly don't think the existence of LIV has lead to the PGAT upping their game, given they've been improving over the years anyway. Regardless of LIV, they'll always want to win more and more fans, year on year, so it makes little sense staying still. At same time, they must have been doing a hell of a lot right to be the leading tour, so there are plenty of things to do that they don't need to rush and change. Don't need to fix what is not broken.

cleveland52

Visit site

Nah, golf was and continue to be just fine. They're just shuffling around papers that's all.

The threat of men playing team golf in shorts doesn't bother real golf fans in the least.

cleveland52

Visit site
Think you are more than a bit late, that started during the US Open 2022 ?
You're right about me being late because I'm of the mindset that eventually a LIV player will win a DPWT event before eventually being forced to go back to the tour that they chose instead of double dipping.

cleveland52

Visit site
Is this how LIV is improving the game as well?

I mean, the PGA coverage has improved in the last decade since I started watching it. Nearly always now use ball tracking technology, have done for quite a few years. Drones were always going to come along and be used, and I'm sure I've seen several tournaments where they've microphoned up a player or two in the past. Especially during this part of the season, seems a bit more of a relaxed period. Didn't Faldo choose to retire as a pundit last year? If so, perhaps that has lead to a refresh in the punditry team.

I honestly don't think the existence of LIV has lead to the PGAT upping their game, given they've been improving over the years anyway. Regardless of LIV, they'll always want to win more and more fans, year on year, so it makes little sense staying still. At same time, they must have been doing a hell of a lot right to be the leading tour, so there are plenty of things to do that they don't need to rush and change. Don't need to fix what is not broken.
You're spot on, golf has been growing for the past five years and it has nothing to do with LIV.

Golf is in a wonderful place right now. The only thing threatening golf is the shadiness of a rival tour that will do anything to gain attention.

evemccc

Visit site
You're spot on, golf has been growing for the past five years and it has nothing to do with LIV.

Golf is in a wonderful place right now. The only thing threatening golf is the shadiness of a rival tour that will do anything to gain attention.

Well I guess you’ve really drunk the Kool-Aid
How does it taste?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

I’m not so positive, who is the next Tiger or Rory coming into view? Let’s not kid ourselves, golf needs a massive name to keep it current and in the news, I don’t see anyone with superstar status that’s going to take over the reins.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
You're right about me being late because I'm of the mindset that eventually a LIV player will win a DPWT event before eventually being forced to go back to the tour that they chose instead of double dipping.

Adrian Otaegui has already won on the European Tour since joining LIV.
There's me thinking you knew your golf.....

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’m not so positive, who is the next Tiger or Rory coming into view? Let’s not kid ourselves, golf needs a massive name to keep it current and in the news, I don’t see anyone with superstar status that’s going to take over the reins.

I’m not sure golf is ever going to be current and in the news, regardless of who comes along. Golf is followed by golfers, and really isn’t the sort of sport which garners a following beyond those who play. The annual SPOTY awards illustrate that perfectly.

So I’m not sure I really subscribe to the view that the sport needs a massive name.

D

Deleted member 21445

There was a boom of the back of covid for sure and I also saw that in the cycling industry as well in which I work for myself.

Every boom always eventually has a bust.

The current unprecedented economic crisis is going to bite and high expense sports are going to suffer a tough period and memberships will fall.

Its already happened in the cycling industry, people just dont have the money for new bikes.

cleveland52

Visit site
There was a boom of the back of covid for sure and I also saw that in the cycling industry as well in which I work for myself.

Every boom always eventually has a bust.

The current unprecedented economic crisis is going to bite and high expense sports are going to suffer a tough period and memberships will fall.

Its already happened in the cycling industry, people just dont have the money for new bikes.
Older golfers will always have more disposable income. The older a person become the more they gravitate to golf.