LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 15344

Jesus. I literally made the point a few posts back that LIV is a closed tour because of the circumstances placed on the players by the PGAT and the DPWT.

How many players have gone back and forth with the Asian Tour where they have an agreement in place to allow them to do that?

You know I've made this point before, and you're being purposefully obtuse Phil, but just to be clear (again), if JM had picked up the phone from Greg Norman well before a ball was struck, there could have been a reciprocal agreement in place for players to move between the tours. I'd guess the teams would have had contracted players, the ones who now own a stake in the teams, Cam, Phil, DJ etc, these guys are essential to the business model. But there's absolutely no reason why plenty of other players couldn't have had an opportunity to play in selected LIV events. Yes that would have taken some of those players away from the PGAT, but aside from the Canadian Open in the beta year, there were no events that LIV held, that would have substantially depleted the field on the PGAT - so the notion that GN is a disruptor and wants to ruin the PGAT - if that's the case, he's absolutely bobbins at it.

Please don't ask me any more questions I've already answered, because I'm off to walk the dogs, then I'm off to the pub. Good evening.

Stop blaming other tours

LIV is a closed tour because the only way a player could play on that tour was to be invited by the Tour

Someone couldn’t go through any qualifying tournament to earn a tour card , players couldn’t turn up to a Monday qualifying to try and gain entry into that event in the chance of winning to earn a tour card

It’s a closed tour because LIV pick who plays in every single event, it’s a closed tour because even if you win an event it doesn’t mean any guarantees unless you have been given a contract

And LIV made all those choices in regards how it’s administered not the other tours - stop blaming the other tours and look at the actions that LIV have done to see that it’s a closed invite tour because that’s what LIV want -any Asian Tour player who has played has been “invited” if you really can’t see that then it’s staggering

Any calls to any other tour wasn’t to enable to be open in the same way other tours are but to find a way to allow the LIV players the best of all the worlds.

cleveland52

Visit site
There may be 2.6 billion YT users but the biggest golf channel in the world only has 2.44 million subscribers..
I'm sure that LIV plan on siphoning at least 1.2M subscribers from the biggest golf channel and recruit new fans as they gain momentum, in the process becoming the premiere golf league in the world.

cleveland52

Visit site
In what way does it benefit the DPWT to prevent players from participating in their events?

There’s one happening right now, with several LIV players taking part, and in no way is it negatively impacting the event, infact, if anything, it draws more interest.
It affects the event because viewer like me don't watch because of the LIV player having their cake and eating it as well ......I don't watch the events with LIV players and I'm sure that there are others like me.

AussieKB

Visit site
I haven't been on here for ages, but I love the way that people are making up all kind of excuses now that LIV are getting a TV deal, I have already looked into using VPN to watch for FREE, don't understand why the BBC are not showing it, as they gave golf away years ago, where does all that License fee go, Garry Linerker ?

D

Deleted member 31467

It affects the event because viewer like me don't watch because of the LIV player having their cake and eating it as well ......I don't watch the events with LIV players and I'm sure that there are others like me.
Do you watch PGA, Sunshine, Asian tour events when DPWT players are playing on those tours? LIV is just another tour like any other.

D

Deleted member 15344

Just flicked the DPWT on to watch Blandy charging up the leaderboard, but guess what……

Yeah that was a poor birdie putt we just all saw him miss

I haven't been on here for ages, but I love the way that people are making up all kind of excuses now that LIV are getting a TV deal, I have already looked into using VPN to watch for FREE, don't understand why the BBC are not showing it, as they gave golf away years ago, where does all that License fee go, Garry Linerker ?

Why do you need a VPN ? Just watch it on you tube the same as you did last year ?‍♂️

And BBC wouldn’t touch it with barge pole

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
So you are watching it for free then ? or maybe on Sky and how much does that cost you ?

You didn’t mention watching for free! Even on the BBC it wouldn’t be free as one would be paying the aforementioned licence fee.

I pay £12pm for NOW TV sport. Value for money in my view.

I could of course get a fire stick and steal the coverage like so many do, but I’m not a thief.

AussieKB

Visit site
You didn’t mention watching for free! Even on the BBC it wouldn’t be free as one would be paying the aforementioned licence fee.

I pay £12pm for NOW TV sport. Value for money in my view.

I could of course get a fire stick and steal the coverage like so many do, but I’m not a thief.
Good for you, most of my English friends have Sky....I was thinking about the people who can not afford it, sorry I did not make myself more clearer.

D

Deleted member 21445

Serious question and it's never going to happen.

If Greg Norman got his wish that Golfers were independant contractors and could choose whatever events outside of the majors they wanted.
OWGR was fair whichever event/tour you played.
Also there was no minimum amount of events you had to play per tour.
Total free agents to play where they want with no ramifications at all around qualifying for majors and Ryder Cups etc

Where would players play?

I think it would still be 70% PGAT playing the iconic events and players would play Liv events for the extra $$$ inbetween.

And in that fantasy world both tours would probably be happy with that ?

cleveland52

Visit site
Do you watch PGA, Sunshine, Asian tour events when DPWT players are playing on those tours? LIV is just another tour like any other.
I don't begrudge anyone that choose to watch LIV and their players, it just rubs me the wrong way that players sue a tour to play. Television producers do a great job of keeping them out of the viewing window.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I don't begrudge anyone that choose to watch LIV and their players, it just rubs me the wrong way that players sue a tour to play. Television producers do a great job of keeping them out of the viewing window.
You are obviously entitled to feel how you wish, but may it be that the appeal is about the DPWT possibly not following their own rules?
From memory they mandate playing a minimum of 4 events to maintain membership.
Thought @Slab summed it up well.
https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/liv-golf.111261/post-2520927