LIV Golf

Ian_George

Visit site
“The PGA Tour was responsible for increasing prize money, but now LIV is doing it, its wrong!!!”
Source of quotes should always be stated with the quote! Or have you simply made it up?
FWIW, i don't believe the PGA Tour deserves the adulation that some give it. Thanks for its existence and efforts, certainly; but it has been mutually beneficial!

Last edited:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Source of quotes should always be stated with the quote! Or have you simply made it up?
FWIW, i don't believe the PGA Tour deserves the adulation that some give it. Thanks for its existence and efforts, certainly; but it has been mutually beneficial!

I’ve made it up, following the trend that has been set in the article quoted.

A paraphrased summary of the message in the piece.

Ian_George

Visit site
I’ve made it up, following the trend that has been set in the article quoted.
That simply confirms my assertion about stating source of the quote! The GM quote quoted from an article in a GM magazine!
A paraphrased summary of the message in the piece.
Yeah! Riiight! I could agree with 'An alternative view'. But your statement is absolute horse manure!

Swango1980

Visit site
If confirmed, feel this is a bit of a mockery. Second year in a row playing zero actual PGA Tour rounds.

https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/re...com&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=social
That just indicates how much of a legendary figure Tiger Woods still is, I guess.

PIP isn't a metric simply based on performances. If players perform well, they earn their money through prize money at each comp, and the FedEx money. They keep their sponsors happy as well, and I'm sure McIlroy is pretty content with life generally.

The PGA Tour obviously feel they benefit hugely from simply having Tiger associated with them. Whether he plays or not, the media still love talking about him.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
That just indicates how much of a legendary figure Tiger Woods still is, I guess.

PIP isn't a metric simply based on performances. If players perform well, they earn their money through prize money at each comp, and the FedEx money. They keep their sponsors happy as well, and I'm sure McIlroy is pretty content with life generally.

The PGA Tour obviously feel they benefit hugely from simply having Tiger associated with them. Whether he plays or not, the media still love talking about him.
Yeah Tiger is a legend alright, but they did name it 'player impact programme'

Below are a couple of metrics, a reminder why so many old Tiger clips during the 'telecasts' I guess.

4)TV Sponsor Exposure: Duration (time) that a player’s sponsor logo(s) appears on screen during Saturday and Sunday PGA TOUR telecasts;
5)Awareness: A player’s general awareness score among broad U.S. population.

Swango1980

Visit site
Yeah Tiger is a legend alright, but they did name it 'player impact programme'

Below are a couple of metrics, a reminder why so many old Tiger clips during the 'telecasts' I guess.

4)TV Sponsor Exposure: Duration (time) that a player’s sponsor logo(s) appears on screen during Saturday and Sunday PGA TOUR telecasts;
5)Awareness: A player’s general awareness score among broad U.S. population.
Still a player though :)

Reactions: SyR

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Still a player though :)

He was a fantastic player in his day, but those days are gone. While we can argue about the accuracy of Rankings over LIV plaayers, Tiger sits outside the top 1000.

He'll probably win it for the next 5 years based on what we've seen in the last two years of the programme, it's effectively a foregone conclusion, and the rest of the players that are still competing have no chance of winning it.

cleveland52

Visit site

Totally agree.....also consider it back pay for carrying the tour and the golf channel for the last 25 years.

People will never see another golfer as the athlete of the year post Tiger Woods.

Swango1980

Visit site
He was a fantastic player in his day, but those days are gone. While we can argue about the accuracy of Rankings over LIV plaayers, Tiger sits outside the top 1000.

He'll probably win it for the next 5 years based on what we've seen in the last two years of the programme, it's effectively a foregone conclusion, and the rest of the players that are still competing have no chance of winning it.
I certainly wasn't arguing that Tiger was currently the No1 golfer, or close to it. Simply that he has still got a huge impact.

I'm sure you can't complain at least, being a huge fan of a tour that handed Mickleson €200 million

cleveland52

Visit site

I guarantee that you'd love him to come over to LIV Golf right now....LOL!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I certainly wasn't arguing that Tiger was currently the No1 golfer, or close to it. Simply that he has still got a huge impact.

I'm sure you can't complain at least, being a huge fan of a tour that handed Mickleson €200 million

Why would I be complaining, it has no impact on me whatsoever, although I'm sure there are a few quietly disgruntled players on the PGA Tour who perhaps feel the qualifying criteria need to be amended.

Won't happen of course. Tiger is the needle as far as the PGA Tour is concerned, the golden egg.

Ian_George

Visit site

PIP extended eligibility deliberately lasts for 4 years from last year a player satisfies the basic eligibility criteria. So Tiger's extended eligibility expires season ending 30 September 2024. Of course, he might regain basic eligibility, but I very much doubt that, as he'd need, according to info I've seen, to play 20 tournaments in a year, including 11 of 12 The PGAT have specified, to do so!

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
Why would I be complaining, it has no impact on me whatsoever, although I'm sure there are a few quietly disgruntled players on the PGA Tour who perhaps feel the qualifying criteria need to be amended.

Won't happen of course. Tiger is the needle as far as the PGA Tour is concerned, the golden egg.
Maybe the disgruntled players went to LIV? Separate out the players who play primarily for the love of golf, and the jealous ones who play primarily for the cash.

Swango1980

Visit site
Well that excludes all those that take appearance money then, or is the old case of double standards.:ROFLMAO:
I'm afraid we are talking about Mel's theory here, not mine. And we are talking exclusively about PIP. So, if there are disgruntled players about Tiger, completely ignoring the fact that he us a huge reason they have done as well as they have financially, then they can follow the money to LIV.

I'm sure Phil Mickleson fits the bill. And, perhaps you just have to accept that Cameron Smith's motivation is primarily financial, more so than his potential future in playing in Majors and the big PGA events. Which is fine, you can fly your flag high everytime he credits his bank account with another huge cheque from LIV :)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Maybe the disgruntled players went to LIV? Separate out the players who play primarily for the love of golf, and the jealous ones who play primarily for the cash.

They quite obviously have, (not just over tigger winning the PIP), but over the way they feel about playing on the PGA tour or DPW Tour to a lesser extent.

If somebody moves from one organisation to another, it's usually because they feel it's better for them personally. However, you generally find those shouting loudest to defend the PGA Tour, are the ones that have heard an absolute stack of money while playing there - so I'm not sure your "playing for the love of golf " argument would be 100% correct.