LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 29109

Were you not roundly mocked for trying to say a similar thing a while ago? Who wants the Majors diluted!?

I’ve no problem with LiV players who are exempt or qualify playing in the Majors.

However, part of me would like to see them banned just to see the meltdown.

Meanwhile the LiV supporters will keep making up statistics and narratives to suit their own views and agenda.

I’m now questioning whether I’m old enough or wealthy enough to have Sky Sports ?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Are you trying to play the victim again, use an argument that is meant to pull on the heart strings? make it sound like I am saying poor people cannot be golf fans?

Wise up. It is a fact of life that things cost a certain amount of money. For the sake of a night or 2 out a month on booze, a person can afford to pay for a subscription that will get them golf and several other sports like football, F1, cricket, etc. But, it is up to every individual how they spend their money. I think we are also fairly aware that it is NOT in LIV's business model to give free golf to the masses. Maybe in the first year or 2 to try and generate support (or just the fact they couldn't secure a deal). If Sky Sports were to come along and offer them a whopping great broadcasting deal, LIV would bite their hands off. Then you will all have to pay for it again, and probably even more so than now if LIV has well and truly "grown the game"

Well personally I’d pay to watch LIV over the vast majority of your events, because I enjoy it a lot more.

And stop with the victim BS, I’m making relevant points about differing audiences and where their preferences are. The financial aspect is just part of it, but not the only reason people won’t pay to watch tour golf. It’s targeted at old people, that’s a fact, so young people wont be as inclined to tune in.

Last edited:

Ian_George

Visit site
Still a player though :)
He was a fantastic player in his day, but those days are gone. While we can argue about the accuracy of Rankings over LIV plaayers, Tiger sits outside the top 1000.

He'll probably win it for the next 5 years based on what we've seen in the last two years of the programme, it's effectively a foregone conclusion, and the rest of the players that are still competing have no chance of winning it.
Whooosh! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
Well personally I’d pay to watch LIV over the vast majority of your events, because I enjoy it a lot more.

And stop with the victim BS, I’m making relevant points about differing audiences and where their preferences are. The financial aspect is just part of it, but not the only reason people won’t pay to watch tour golf. It’s targeted at old people, that’s a fact, so young people won’t tune in.
You asked a silly question "are wealthy people only allowed to be golf fans".

How is it targeted at older fans? Are you saying the PGA is targeted towards old people, or the broadcasters? I'd say that is largely untrue (although see caveat below), especially as it has evolved so much over the years to make golf look trendy and cool. Focus a lot more on golfers being athletes, etc. How does LIV appeal to younger fans? By allowing players to wear shorts? By having dinosaurs like Greg Norman and Phil Mickleson as the figureheads?

At the end of the day, although golf will try and get younger and younger fans, the key target audience will always be middle aged to older people. Why? Well, many younger people interested in sports will be involved in active sports such as football, rugby, cricket, etc through their 20's and 30's. They will simply have less time to get into golf by being able to play it. And, playing golf costs more as well, simply because of membership fees and equipment. Younger people will have less disposable income, in general. However, as their active sports careers come to an end, that is when many will pick up golf to continue on with their competitive instincts, and all being well they will be able to continue playing well after retirement age. As they play, they will also become more interested in watching the game, now they know more about it.

So, I'd say the Tours that have been about for a while, and been successful, have a pretty good idea who their audience is, and how to maximise their audience. They'll have tweaked things time and time again to continually try and improve this. However, it sounds like you and LIV have no idea who your audience is, and just think you'll magically pull new fans out of thin air. Well, if you are using the fact it is free to watch as a big reason it will get new fans (which is one of your arguments that at least has a small iota of logic to it), then expect to lose many of those fans as soon as LIV gets a broadcasting deal

Ian_George

Visit site
Why would I be complaining, it has no impact on me whatsoever, although I'm sure there are a few quietly disgruntled players on the PGA Tour who perhaps feel the qualifying criteria need to be amended.

Won't happen of course. Tiger is the needle as far as the PGA Tour is concerned, the golden egg.
PIP money goes to more than simply the winner! And PIP is deliberately designed to allow rewards for players after they've retired from active PGA play! So, unless you can actually quote specific players and their 'grievances' your speculation is unwarranted anti-PGA gossip!

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
PIP money goes to more than simply the winner! And PIP is deliberately designed to allow rewards for players after they've retired from active PGA play! So, unless you can actually quote specific players and their 'grievances' your speculation is unwarranted anti-PGA gossip!

Are we not allowed to gossip on these pages, after all it is a golf forum, pub banter if you will.
Again it seems anything anti PGA and an attempt to cancel it happens, anything anti LIV and it’s a free for all.
Btw I couldn’t care less about LIV or PGA ?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
You asked a silly question "are wealthy people only allowed to be golf fans".

How is it targeted at older fans? Are you saying the PGA is targeted towards old people, or the broadcasters? I'd say that is largely untrue (although see caveat below), especially as it has evolved so much over the years to make golf look trendy and cool. Focus a lot more on golfers being athletes, etc. How does LIV appeal to younger fans? By allowing players to wear shorts? By having dinosaurs like Greg Norman and Phil Mickleson as the figureheads?

At the end of the day, although golf will try and get younger and younger fans, the key target audience will always be middle aged to older people. Why? Well, many younger people interested in sports will be involved in active sports such as football, rugby, cricket, etc through their 20's and 30's. They will simply have less time to get into golf by being able to play it. And, playing golf costs more as well, simply because of membership fees and equipment. Younger people will have less disposable income, in general. However, as their active sports careers come to an end, that is when many will pick up golf to continue on with their competitive instincts, and all being well they will be able to continue playing well after retirement age. As they play, they will also become more interested in watching the game, now they know more about it.

So, I'd say the Tours that have been about for a while, and been successful, have a pretty good idea who their audience is, and how to maximise their audience. They'll have tweaked things time and time again to continually try and improve this. However, it sounds like you and LIV have no idea who your audience is, and just think you'll magically pull new fans out of thin air. Well, if you are using the fact it is free to watch as a big reason it will get new fans (which is one of your arguments that at least has a small iota of logic to it), then expect to lose many of those fans as soon as LIV gets a broadcasting deal

You write a lot and say little.

Competitive golf is played by young people, if the audience is old, then there’s a huge hole in the way the product is marketed.,

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

Oh shut up.

It’s an opinion, that’s all. Stop being so pedantic. Or call the internet police, whichever you prefer. (y)

Ian_George

Visit site
Are we not allowed to gossip on these pages, after all it is a golf forum, pub banter if you will.
Again it seems anything anti PGA and an attempt to cancel it happens, anything anti LIV and it’s a free for all.
Btw I couldn’t care less about LIV or PGA ?
Gossip is fine. But, imo, in a thread seriously discussing the merits, or otherwise, of any issue, it either needs to be clearly indicated as gossip or challenged as such!

Swango1980

Visit site
You write a lot and I read little.

Competitive golf is played by young people, if the audience is old, then there’s a huge hole in the way the product is marketed.,
Let me correct you

You still don't understand why the audience is older then?

I bet the average age of the audience watching football is older than the players that play it as well. Same for any sport. We can all be fans long after we actually play the sport. With golf, it is a simple fact that many will naturally take it up later in life for obvious reasons, and that in turn will bring in more fans to watching the sport.

You still have not told me how LIV is specifically marketed towards younger people. Except the fact it is free on youtube, which is almost certainly not part of the business model LIV are looking to keep going forward.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Let me correct you

You still don't understand why the audience is older then?

I bet the average age of the audience watching football is older than the players that play it as well. Same for any sport. We can all be fans long after we actually play the sport. With golf, it is a simple fact that many will naturally take it up later in life for obvious reasons, and that in turn will bring in more fans to watching the sport.

You still have not told me how LIV is specifically marketed towards younger people. Except the fact it is free on youtube, which is almost certainly not part of the business model LIV are looking to keep going forward.

Why do I have to do that? There's an endless list of factors - it being free on You Tube has helped but so will a TV deal, which they will have next year. Six and two threes.

It must just be coincidence that they're hitting a demographic 20 years younger than the PGA Tour?

D

Deleted member 29109

Why do I have to do that? There's an endless list of factors - it being free on You Tube has helped but so will a TV deal, which they will have next year. Six and two threes.

It must just be coincidence that they're hitting a demographic 20 years younger than the PGA Tour?

Where are you getting those stats from?