LIV Golf

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Well the Xander speculation is pretty hot today. Be another decent sigining if true.

I like how it’s talk of these “signings” moving across to LIV for the huge pot of money they are being paid just to turn up.

Slightly different to reading about the players who have just won their DPWT cards at the challenge tour finals.

Swango1980

Visit site
I guess we must go through this incessant speculation for quite some time, given the next event is not until February?

I put a question mark in, as I just looked at their website to check, and there is nothing. A Google check seems to give a very approximate guide to when the 2023 season starts, and potential locations, but just says TBD for courses.

Has the 2023 season not even been finalised yet, or at least announced to public?

D

Deleted member 21445

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian_George

Visit site
I like how it’s talk of these “signings” moving across to LIV for the huge pot of money they are being paid just to turn up.

Slightly different to reading about the players who have just won their DPWT cards at the challenge tour finals.
Quite literally a different league!
In one case a huge bung to an already very wealthy star; in the other a chance to make some decent money from their talent, maybe after getting out of debt!

Ian_George

Visit site
Well the Xander speculation is pretty hot today. Be another decent sigining if true.
With the others in the same rumour being announced at staggered intervals for maximum (disruptive) effect!.

Two of the new boys will almost certainly stay within qualification range for Masters 2023 Christmas Top 50 criteria, with Niemann likely to do so too.

Last edited:

Ian_George

Visit site
If you arrange the indices in numerical order, you are ranking club members.
When OWGR arrange the points gained in numerical order, they are ranking some pro golfers.
Ranking just means putting things (numbers in both of these cases) in order.
Sorry, missed or forgot replying to this.
If you append (1st 2) or prefix (3rd) the highlighted words with 'rating', you should realise the difference between the two meanings. And you can have a rating(s) without having a ranking, but not the other way around! And FWIW, I don't believe OWGR does arrange points gained. They merely assign them as per tournament finishing position definition. They subsequently calculate new average points values for all players to create the ranking. Not that a ranking always has to have an ordering process, while a rating doesn't.

Last edited:

Ian_George

Visit site
And I get lambasted on here for apparently putting ‘spin’ on things…:ROFLMAO:
That's because you (appear to) do so! And if your post was directed at me or my post, my post was simply facts, not opinion, nor spin! It was part of the syllabus I taught to 14-16 yr-olds many years ago!

Last edited:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
[
That's because you (appear to) do so! And if your post was directed at me or my post, my post was simply facts, not opinion, nor spin! It was part of the syllabus I taught to 14-16 yr-olds many years ago!

So what are we saying then, the handicap list at a golf club (in order of handicap) that ranks the players from low to high, isn't infact a ranking, but a rating?

Thats your argument to prove me wrong that we all aren't ranked at our golf clubs when we submit a score - somebody else has also posted an image that shows where we are all ranked by percentage in club, county and country. According to you, it's a rating, not a ranking?

Well here's the definition of rating...

"a classification or ranking of someone or something based on a comparative assessment of their quality, standard, or performance."

And here's the definition of a ranking...

"a position in a hierarchy or scale"

In this case, the scale is golfers ability, by their handicap.

Jeez Oh! - as they say in Scotland.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Tyrell Hatton rumoured to have agreed a deal to move over. They better get somebody on the ball with the "bleep out" button on the live mics. :ROFLMAO:

Looks like this is incorrect information, apparently it came from the NLU pod yesterday, in which they were having a pop at a few people who they deem are pro LIV.

One of the "LIV bots" as people like to call them, has checked if this (Hatton) rumour had any substance and it's apparently untrue.

Shame as he would have been comdey gold missing putts for millions of dollars. ;)

Ian_George

Visit site
So what are we saying then, the handicap list at a golf club (in order of handicap) that ranks the players from low to high, isn't infact a ranking, but a rating?
No!
The clue is in the number of items! If there's 1, then it can't be a ranking; if there's more than 1, then it's a list, with the possibility that the list is a ranking (of ratings)!

Last edited: