LIV Golf

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I suspect they actually already algorithms to cover those tournaments in conforming tours that have limited or invitation fields and no qualifiers. But they minimise the distortion these produce by requiring a minimum percentage of 'standard' style tournaments to mitigate any distortion.

LIV's 100% nonconforming style needs to change in order to receive OWGR points, but I doubt it will - just to continue to be 'loud' and a disrupter!
Agree with the first section.
We shouldn't forget that the OWGR are gradually placing more emphasis on strokes gained which only needs 18 holes
aviary-image-1667841641535.jpeg
So maybe the "distortion" part isn't relevant ?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Scroll back a few pages and you'll see a number of other ridiculous comparisons; adding one more doesn't really further the debate.

Why's it ridiculous? LIV don't meet the criteria to gain OWGR points and think everyone else should bend over for them and change the rules to suit them. I suspect that promises were made to those golfers signing up to LIV with regards to getting ranking points and they are now getting desperate to get those points awarded.

Ian_George

Visit site
Agree with the first section.
We shouldn't forget that the OWGR are gradually placing more emphasis on strokes gained which only needs 18 holes
View attachment 45076
So maybe the "distortion" part isn't relevant ?
My understand is that is the Player part of the calculation. There's a Tournament element involved too - which is where the format comes in. If it was as simple as just the above, there would be no need for the compliance conditions and period. And FWIW, I think 'strokes gained' probably needs at least an entire tournament. to be relevant.

Last edited:

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
My understand is that is the Player part of the calculation. There's a Tournament element involved too - which is where the format comes in. If it was as simple as just the above, there would be no need for the compliance conditions and period.
Agree, it feeds into the strength of field.
Do you have a (direct) link to the format element referred to?
Similar to the qualifying piece, I've never been able to locate a verifiable link to them.

Ian_George

Visit site
Thank you, it shows players ranked in order of ability. So I'm correct.
Only in your own mind!
It actually shows a ranking of players in ascending order of their ratings! A processing of their ratings! It would be just as sensible to rank them in alphabetical order!
Go lookup a dictionary to see the difference between rating and rank(ing)!

Last edited:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Only in your own mind!
It actually shows a ranking of players in ascending order order of their ratings! A processing of their ratings! It would be just as sensible to rank them in alphabetical order!
Go lookup a dictionary to see the difference between rating and rating!

The difference between rating and rating??

I think one is getting a little irate. ;-)

Ian_George

Visit site
Agree, it feeds into the strength of field.
Do you have a (direct) link to the format element referred to?
Similar to the qualifying piece, I've never been able to locate a verifiable link to them.
Nor I! I suspect the actual calc is deemed a 'trade secret' and kept secure - as is the Datagolf one that uses slightly different parms and calcs.

D

Deleted member 29109

Funny how they are targeting players now. I thought they were queuing round the block to join?

Ian_George

Visit site
Lack of funding stops me doing it.
Lack of independence stops LIV doing it.
Only you know what's stopping you doing it, if you say nothing then I sincerely hope you have a go because I'd welcome a ranking system that is independent.
I believe OWGR was deemed independent! With the Board being made up of bodies that simply had the largest 'interest' wrt its rankings. But then LIV came along and has affected the rankings significantly enough to make the Majors concerned about the relevance! I figure a 'compromise' will eventually be worked out where LIV is accepted, but where the LIV Tournament ratings, at least initially, are less than if the tournament was played on a Tour that fully complies with OWGR rules. But that probably won't satisfy LIV, who quite likely prefer the conflict to exist anyway!

Last edited: