LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 15344

I commented on the professional golf thread about the win, and Rahms. Infact it’s currently the last post on that thread, despite a PGA tour event concluding since, which begs the question - who really cares about the PGA tour?

when it comes to professional golf most of us don’t watch beyond majors , Ryder cup and maybe the odd event , I don’t expect many on here to be watching the PGA event and most of us will be playing golf when the ET events are on

Discussion on events would increase if something out of the ordinary happened etc - something I have learned on here is not many actually watch the standard golf events

D

Deleted member 21445

Ii thought the DP Tour and Liv Tour were excellent this weekend.
Love watching Jon Rahm..
For Liv it was good to have some different names at the top of the leader board and a different team winner.
Gutted Richard Bland missed that little birdie putt on the last for tied 2nd, cost him a few quid for sure.

Struggled to get into the Shriners and didn't watch much of it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
when it comes to professional golf most of us don’t watch beyond majors , Ryder cup and maybe the odd event , I don’t expect many on here to be watching the PGA event and most of us will be playing golf when the ET events are on

Discussion on events would increase if something out of the ordinary happened etc - something I have learned on here is not many actually watch the standard golf events
Huge generalisation. I watched the golf in the clubhouse all weekend with my PP's and then watched a large chunk of the Shriners as well. I'd also sit and watch the LPGA or LET. I watch Sky's coverage regularly of all tours and will even watch midweek when the Challenge tour highlights, Europro etc are on

Swango1980

Visit site
I’d say they are mainly from people trying to argue with MS, some try to have reasonable conversations but most just seem to be on the wind up.
Could we class your post as such as well? ??
Not at all, in case any LIV fans feel wound up?

The surprise only hit me when I noticed Marshy77's post at 8.57 today, and realised it was the first post since Saturday night. The thought then crossed my mind that I thought there was a LIV event on at the weekend, and it was unusual that this thread did nothing to publicise how it went (given how keen people are to post on it at other times).

From what I read of it, and I mentioned a long time ago, is that even to those that watch LIV, LIV is really no more special than most standard events on the other tours. From a golf point of view. The only thing that makes it "interesting" is the politics of it all.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Not at all, in case any LIV fans feel wound up?

The surprise only hit me when I noticed Marshy77's post at 8.57 today, and realised it was the first post since Saturday night. The thought then crossed my mind that I thought there was a LIV event on at the weekend, and it was unusual that this thread did nothing to publicise how it went (given how keen people are to post on it at other times).

From what I read of it, and I mentioned a long time ago, is that even to those that watch LIV, LIV is really no more special than most standard events on the other tours. From a golf point of view. The only thing that makes it "interesting" is the politics of it all.

I agree, its not more special - Its about on par with an average tour event - especially with the talent in the field now in comparison to LIV London.

Its a bit different and at the live event itself - I think its quite good that all the golf is played in a fixed time period of about 5 hours.

I kinda just hope something gets sorted with OGWR so this thread isn't just a back and forth between those who have always been against LIV and those than are open minded to it! Once that is finally addressed we can surely just all move on with our lives?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The young lad from Madrid won €4.88 milion for winning this weekend. That is around 2.75 times more than the whole purse for The Madrid Open.

He is now mde for life and good luck to him.

A question for you more knowledgeable guys and there may not be an answer. If he had won The Shriners where would he be in The World Rankings?

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
I agree, its not more special - Its about on par with an average tour event - especially with the talent in the field now in comparison to LIV London.

Its a bit different and at the live event itself - I think its quite good that all the golf is played in a fixed time period of about 5 hours.

I kinda just hope something gets sorted with OGWR so this thread isn't just a back and forth between those who have always been against LIV and those than are open minded to it! Once that is finally addressed we can surely just all move on with our lives?
I doubt it. These arguments were rife long before world ranking points were mentioned.

In many respects, I think everyone is "open minded", in the sense we all want to watch the best possible golf we can on TV. However, the ones who are still against LIV do not think LIV is the answer. The ones who do support LIV do. There is probably also a large element as to how individuals have consumed golf pre-LIV. There are many that have enjoyed the PGA for years, which is no surprise. It is why it was / is successful after all. LIV has come along, and not only do many of these people not think it is any better, but it is also diluting the PGA stuff they have enjoyed (or even the DP World Tour to a smaller extent). Whereas, there are some who have not watched regular golf pre-LIV (or certainly wouldn't call themselves big fans), and suddenly something comes along that shakes the golfing world. Much easier for them to shift towards LIV, as they have little sense of loss based on what they watched (or didn't) before.

Swango1980

Visit site
The young lad from Madrid won €4.88 milion for winning this weekend. That is around 2.75 times than the whole purse for The Madrid Open.

A question for you more knowledgeable guys and there may not be an answer. If he had won The Shriners where would he be in The World Rankings?

If my calcs are correct, from 2756th to 159th, assuming he won the same points as Kim did for winning.

Chacarra currently has an Average Points of 0.000, with a record of 3 missed cuts and a T45 in the Sanderson Farms Championship. The World Ranking Points is equal to the players total world ranking scores, average over all their events, with a minimum divisor of 40.

So, he'd have won 42.18661 points for winning that PGA event, giving an average score of 1.054665. That would place him 2 spots ahead of Rickie Fowler

D

Deleted member 15344

The young lad from Madrid won €4.88 milion for winning this weekend. That is around 2.75 times more than the whole purse for The Madrid Open.

If he won the Shriners he would go to around 150 , he would also now have entry into the USPGA , The Masters, US Open , a PGAT card .

But he has more money now

I still think there is a long way to go before ranking points occur - I don’t see OWGR changing their criteria so are LIV going to change ?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Oh, is he joining a "proper" tour, one which gives him ranking points, and thus will qualify?

No, LIV will get what they want eventually. Or fail miserably and the players will trickle back across.

Either way, it'll happen in time!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
No, LIV will get what they want eventually. Or fail miserably and the players will trickle back across.

Either way, it'll happen in time!

They’ll do whatever it takes, and I expect those changes to be implemented quickly.

Talk of a cut being implemented for Jeddah.

sunshine

Visit site
And it's raising the profile of the game internationally. I'd never even heard of the MENA tour until yesterday - and I definitely didn't know one of Miguel Angel Jimenez's sons played on it.

For those guys already on this tour, it's a great bit of exposure and investment.

Have you considered a career in politics? The amount of spin you generate I feel you are missing out on your calling.

D

Deleted member 15344

They’ll do whatever it takes, and I expect those changes to be implemented quickly.

Talk of a cut being implemented for Jeddah.

Yes rumours of 72 holes , a cut and bigger fields to fit in within the requirements - so all the “innovation” goes and it’s just a rich tour that’s no different but without a media contract

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Yes rumours of 72 holes , a cut and bigger fields to fit in within the requirements - so all the “innovation” goes and it’s just a rich tour that’s no different but without a media contract

It's still different Phil, international, shotgun start, team format - different enough to keep it unique. That's if all that happens, I've read the cut is the bottom 3 guys.