LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 15344

So if the OWGR lost, where would the money come from.

The company is essentially a computer programme with no employees, and a turnover of £350k.

If Jay had sat at the table with LIV, can you explain to me how over this weekend golf would be detrimental for it?

Again why is it always about lawsuits ?

OWGR set their rules for their rankings - if they decided a tour doesn’t fulfil their requirements what reason is there for someone to file a lawsuit ?

And why should PGAT sit with LIV ? Why through the eyes of people like does all the blame lay at the feet of PGAT

If the PGAT has no interest in working with LIV then that’s their choice but it doesn’t mean it’s all the fault of PGAT.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Again why is it always about lawsuits ?

OWGR set their rules for their rankings - if they decided a tour doesn’t fulfil their requirements what reason is there for someone to file a lawsuit ?

And why should PGAT sit with LIV ? Why through the eyes of people like does all the blame lay at the feet of PGAT

If the PGAT has no interest in working with LIV then that’s their choice but it doesn’t mean it’s all the fault of PGAT.

Of course the PGAT doesn’t have to work with LIV, but they clearly have control over the success of the LIV series through their position within OWGR Ltd. So, if they refuse to attempt to work with LIV, and then use their position in the rankings system to attempt to stymie a competitor, surely you’d expect that competitor to challenge that in whatever way they can.

D

Deleted member 15344

Of course the PGAT doesn’t have to work with LIV, but they clearly have control over the success of the LIV series through their position within OWGR Ltd. So, if they refuse to attempt to work with LIV, and then use their position in the rankings system to attempt to stymie a competitor, surely you’d expect that competitor to challenge that in whatever way they can.

You do know that there are multiple people involved in OWGR - USGA , US PGA , R&A , Master Committee ,PGAT is one voice .

Nothing has changed to stop LIV getting points - it’s the same old requirements that every other tour follows. Yet LiV it seems don’t want to follow that and are looking at anyway you get around the rules , hence trying to use Mena.

Clearly LIV weren’t bothered about ranking points when they started out

Swango1980

Visit site
Was there a LIV event this weekend? I guess even LIV supporters are more interested in writing chapters and chapters about the politics of LIV, and not really bothered about the actual golf :)

Just had to google it, and I notice the World 2756th golfer won the event. If only LIV had World Ranking points, if LIV had their way that win would elevate him into the top 10.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Was there a LIV event this weekend? I guess even LIV supporters are more interested in writing chapters and chapters about the politics of LIV, and not really bothered about the actual golf :)

Just had to google it, and I notice the World 2756th golfer won the event. If only LIV had World Ranking points, if LIV had their way that win would elevate him into the top 10.

About as much was written about the Madrid open on the professional golf thread, which was also excellent.
The 2756th golfer in the world maybe, but he's just turned professional and was the best amateur in the world before turning professional.
Very ignorant comment in my opinion, at least Jon Rahm knows who he is :)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
About as much was written about the Madrid open on the professional golf thread, which was also excellent.
The 2756th golfer in the world maybe, but he's just turned professional and was the best amateur in the world before turning professional.

Given Chacarra has been discussed previously in this thread, I’m surprised Swango had no knowledge of him, unless of course, they are being deliberately obtuse ;-)

Mind you, the BBC can be accused of exactly the same, yet again refusing to acknowledge the LIV results and performances on their website.

Swango1980

Visit site
I am happy to admit I am very ignorant in many things LIV. Because I have no interest in watching it. But, if supporters of LIV are just happy to watch LIV events and stay silent, it'll be very difficult to "grow the game". They need to be coming on these forums and telling us how each event was the best golf they have ever seen in the history of golf, and that it is the way forwards. How the team element is more exciting than the best of Ryder Cups, etc.

PS: Even if the above happened, I'd still not believe them, it'll take a lot more changes before I personally take LIV seriously enough to watch it. But, I think LIV fans are actually more interested in free golf, and the politics of golf (including potential; threats for litigation), than they are in the actual golf.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I am happy to admit I am very ignorant in many things LIV. Because I have no interest in watching it. But, if supporters of LIV are just happy to watch LIV events and stay silent, it'll be very difficult to "grow the game". They need to be coming on these forums and telling us how each event was the best golf they have ever seen in the history of golf, and that it is the way forwards. How the team element is more exciting than the best of Ryder Cups, etc.

PS: Even if the above happened, I'd still not believe them, it'll take a lot more changes before I personally take LIV seriously enough to watch it. But, I think LIV fans are actually more interested in free golf, and the politics of golf (including potential; threats for litigation), than they are in the actual golf.

I'm a golf fan, any tour to be fair.
The courses in Thailand and Madrid both looked in top condition for their respective competitions.
I'm not sure about more interested in the free bit, Bit of a generalisation is it not? I'm personally subscribed to every sport channel you can get in the UK.

Swango1980

Visit site
Given Chacarra has been discussed previously in this thread, I’m surprised Swango had no knowledge of him, unless of course, they are being deliberately obtuse ;-)
I've said before Mel, I don't pop into this thread every day. Sometimes when I do, another 20 pages have been added. I clearly cannot be bothered reading through all these comments. They are mainly made up of posts from you having exactly the same argument you did 200 pages before. So, I may well have missed how special this golfer is. I mean, before this event, I think his best position was 25th on LIV, so the signs on his genius were there I guess.

I just get surprised that so many pages can be posted in any 3 day period, but when an actual event is played, virtually nothing at all. I'd have thought the way you get on, the winner would be announced as breaking news on this thread.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

To look at both sides of the golf marker, I haven't seen hardly anything on here about the Madrid masters. Maybe both sides are golfed out or just so bored of the debate that they can't be bothered to comment now?

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm a golf fan, any tour to be fair.
The courses in Thailand and Madrid both looked in top condition for their respective competitions.
I'm not sure about more interested in the free bit, Bit of a generalisation is it not? I'm personally subscribed to every sport channel you can get in the UK.
It is a generalisation, of course. It has to be, as I was talking about LIV fans, not one specific individual. Therefore, I assumed it would be a given that I was speaking in general, not for every single individual who has watched LIV.

D

Deleted member 15344

let’s be honest - I suspect no one knew him until he moved to LIV even being the no 2 in the Amatuer rankings - unless they are doing something in the Professional as an amateur ( playing Masters , winning Silver medal at the Open ) or even doing well on tour events then no one knows them until they appear in Pro events then do well - Hovland the recent example.

And even now because of the limited media broadcasting of LiV then its going to go under the radar.

What is confusing is even across the Twitter sphere most of the talk about the event wasn’t the young lad , it was all about lack of ranking points , the money someone can win , the comparisons between highlight viewing figures on you tube etc - not much action or talk. And since then it’s all about comparing how much he won in money compared to Kim

Swango1980

Visit site
To look at both sides of the golf marker, I haven't seen hardly anything on here about the Madrid masters. Maybe both sides are golfed out or just so bored of the debate that they can't be bothered to comment now?
I'm not really surprised though. The Madrid masters is an established event, along with the others on those tours. There is not a PGA Tour thread or a DP World Tour thread where hundreds of comments are being added per week.

There is, however, a LIV thread where hundreds of posts are being added per week. Many of them are people telling us how great it is. Yet, they cannot be bothered actually telling us about the golf. That is where the surprise comes in. Don't get me wrong, it is a pleasant surprise in a sense as I'm not really interested in hearing about it personally, but all I was doing is expressing this surprise.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I've said before Mel, I don't pop into this thread every day. Sometimes when I do, another 20 pages have been added. I clearly cannot be bothered reading through all these comments. They are mainly made up of posts from you having exactly the same argument you did 200 pages before. So, I may well have missed how special this golfer is. I mean, before this event, I think his best position was 25th on LIV, so the signs on his genius were there I guess.

I just get surprised that so many pages can be posted in any 3 day period, but when an actual event is played, virtually nothing at all. I'd have thought the way you get on, the winner would be announced as breaking news on this thread.

I commented on the professional golf thread about the win, and Rahms. Infact it’s currently the last post on that thread, despite a PGA tour event concluding since, which begs the question - who really cares about the PGA tour?

Swango1980

Visit site
I commented on the professional golf thread about the win, and Rahms. Infact it’s currently the last post on that thread, despite a PGA tour event concluding since, which begs the question - who really cares about the PGA tour?
I guess PGA Tour fans feel no need to sing its praises as much, given it is an established tour, one that even gives out decent world ranking points :)

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not really surprised though. The Madrid masters is an established event, along with the others on those tours. There is not a PGA Tour thread or a DP World Tour thread where hundreds of comments are being added per week.

There is, however, a LIV thread where hundreds of posts are being added per week. Many of them are people telling us how great it is. Yet, they cannot be bothered actually telling us about the golf. That is where the surprise comes in. Don't get me wrong, it is a pleasant surprise in a sense as I'm not really interested in hearing about it personally, but all I was doing is expressing this surprise.

Think this thread is made up of both fans tbh. I am surprised more wasn't made of the Madrid masters with it being such a big event. All golf is generally discussed but didn't see much at all about it or Rahm winning it.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sometimes when I do, another 20 pages have been added. I clearly cannot be bothered reading through all these comments. They are mainly made up of posts from you having exactly the same argument you did 200 pages before.

I’d say they are mainly from people trying to argue with MS, some try to have reasonable conversations but most just seem to be on the wind up.
Could we class your post as such as well? ??