LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes we've all seen that. And we've all seen precedents where exceptions to the primary criteria have already been permitted to have OWGR points in events & tours (its a slippery slope when it starts)

LIV (as we all know) are simply pushing for these exceptions to be made on multiple points of OWGR criteria (what's good for the goose etc) Its a tough ask especially given the 'opposition' is part of the OWGR set up but I don't think it can be dismissed quite so simply as listing the criteria

Exemptions are only made when the majority of the events are 72 holes etc - not sure why that point is ignored , there is no precedent for a whole tour to get ranking points based on 54 holes unless they are a development tour

LIV don’t have any events that fulfil the criteria and want the whole tour to have the exemption as opposed to 3 events ?‍♂️

Yes it can be dismissed that easily

if LIV had 16 events - 12 which were 72 holes and full field and 4 which were 48 and no cut then they would get ranking points.

The Hero event is a perfect example - didn’t get points until it changed its qualfiying

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have reached the considered conclusion that Saudi Tour players should not get owgr points. The reason being, that they will not play sufficient golf to measure themselves against the rest of the world. A portion of them playing the four majors, makes comparison, and so an overall ranking impossible.

By the same token, the owgr needs to change is name and claim. It can keep its method unchanged. But can no longer claim, world, nor, official. It can become The FedEx Golf Rankings, or some such.

The solution then lies in a LIV ranking. And the four majors defining a (modifiable each year if they wish) list from that of exemptions to the Majors. CAan be top 5, or top 10, or LIV winners plus top 3 not otherwise qualifying for example.

Everybody is happy.

Greg, give me a like here for the proposal, and just get LIV rankings done.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21445

Just watched the 1st round of Liv Bangkok, that course looks incredible and only opened a few weeks ago.

However I couldn't play in that heat and humidity ?

Actually for this event makes total sense for them to be playing in shorts..

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Some round by Chacarra today, puts him in a great position for the final round. Interesting to see as well, how the course has favoured some players who you wouldn't expect to see up the leaderboard while other have struggled. Long holes, wide fairways and very little rough or trees that punish wayward shots.

Great to see Blandy up there as well.

D

Deleted member 15344

I've seen others mention that, but it would be dangerous ground from the OWGR's point of view.
Why would it be dangerous ?

Mena gain ranking points based on them being a developmental tour. With the addition of the liV events and players that’s no longer the case - so their events need to be the same as the likes of the ET and PGAT to keep their points

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Why would it be dangerous ?

Mena gain ranking points based on them being a developmental tour. With the addition of the liV events and players that’s no longer the case - so their events need to be the same as the likes of the ET and PGAT to keep their points

Because the legalities of it will be challenged, that’s a fair assumption from the MENA statement yesterday, and the OWGR don’t have the finances to fight it without direct support from the PGA Tour, and the R & A - which will then be added to the evidence in the antitrust lawsuit.

D

Deleted member 15344

Because the legalities of it will be challenged, that’s a fair assumption from the MENA statement yesterday, and the OWGR don’t have the finances to fight it without direct support from the PGA Tour, and the R & A - which will then be added to the evidence in the antitrust lawsuit.

The rules are pretty clear are they not ?

Not everything can be bulldozed by using money - maybe Mena should have looked at the consequences of going into partnership with LIV and the affect it would have in their Tour , all well and good increasing the prize money but it’s going to come at a cost

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The rules are pretty clear are they not ?

Not everything can be bulldozed by using money - maybe Mena should have looked at the consequences of going into partnership with LIV and the affect it would have in their Tour , all well and good increasing the prize money but it’s going to come at a cost

The rules and MENA’s interpretation of them (as evidenced in their statement) is pretty clear to them - they feel like they are within those rules. If it comes down to a lawsuit to decide who is right, and who is wrong, who foots the OWGR bill?

D

Deleted member 15344

The rules and MENA’s interpretation of them (as evidenced in their statement) is pretty clear to them - they feel like they are within those rules. If it comes down to a lawsuit to decide who is right, and who is wrong, who foots the OWGR bill?

Why is everything all about lawsuits ?

If that the new mantra now - try and threaten using lawsuits knowing that one side has unlimited money to support ?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Why is everything all about lawsuits ?

If that the new mantra now - try and threaten using lawsuits knowing that one side has unlimited money to support ?

Come on Phil, don’t dodge the question - I know you like to throw that one at me.

If it goes to a lawsuit, who foots the OWGR bill?

And everything is about Lawsuits because Jay Monaghan wouldn’t take the call from LIV.

D

Deleted member 15344

Come on Phil, don’t dodge the question - I know you like to throw that one at me.

If it goes to a lawsuit, who foots the OWGR bill?

And everything is about Lawsuits because Jay Monaghan wouldn’t take the call from LIV.

no idea who foots the bill ?‍♂️ Why would i and Surely the losing side would do that

And the lawsuits are happening not because someone didn’t take a call it’s because one side isn’t getting what the want and they now want to try and bully and pay their way through people

It’s a sad state of the sport when one side keeps threatening “law suits” and their supporters can’t see the issue with it

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
no idea who foots the bill ?‍♂️ Why would i and Surely the losing side would do that

And the lawsuits are happening not because someone didn’t take a call it’s because one side isn’t getting what the want and they now want to try and bully and pay their way through people

It’s a sad state of the sport when one side keeps threatening “law suits” and their supporters can’t see the issue with it

So if the OWGR lost, where would the money come from.

The company is essentially a computer programme with no employees, and a turnover of £350k.

If Jay had sat at the table with LIV, can you explain to me how over this weekend golf would be detrimental for it?