LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 15344

I suspect he and his team will have fully anticipated this, it's a game of chess. There will now be questions over the legitimacy of awarding OWGR points to say the FEDEX cup, which fails to meet several OWGR criteria, if points can't be awarded to a LIV event which is now seemingly part of a Tour that is elgible for points.

I suspect he hasn’t anticipated this at all and as said it’s just another example of how poor he is as a CEO - or is it arrogance

And there will be no questions of the Fed Ex as the event is part of a tour whose tournaments are mainly 72 holes with a cut and fulfil them OWGR requirements

None of the LIv events do and even wouldn’t when joining Mena

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I suspect he and his team will have fully anticipated this, it's a game of chess. There will now be questions over the legitimacy of awarding OWGR points to say the FEDEX cup, which fails to meet several OWGR criteria, if points can't be awarded to a LIV event which is now seemingly part of a Tour that is elgible for points.

Nope

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I suspect he hasn’t anticipated this at all and as said it’s just another example of how poor he is as a CEO - or is it arrogance

And there will be no questions of the Fed Ex as the event is part of a tour whose tournaments are mainly 72 holes with a cut and fulfil them OWGR requirements

None of the LIv events do and even wouldn’t when joining Mena

Lol, he's a hugely succesful businessman Phil, and he won't be making these calls off the hip by himself. Do you think he's sat in the locker room in Thailand all by himself frantically trying to run an international sports entertainment business :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As for the FEDEX comparison, it's clearly ambiguous, but can be seen as an "exemption" to the requiremnets in simple terms. I wouldn't be surprised if it was brought up in a future legal challenge, which is exactly where this will end up.

D

Deleted member 15344

Lol, he's a hugely succesful businessman Phil, and he won't be making these calls off the hip by himself. Do you think he's sat in the locker room in Thailand all by himself frantically trying to run an international sports entertainment business :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

So why does he keep getting things wrong then ?

Banning from PGAT
Ranking points
Now this

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
So why does he keep getting things wrong then ?

Banning from PGAT
Ranking points
Now this

Well, is he on record as saying that nobody would be banned from the PGA Tour? HE may well be, I don't know. Likewise, did he say that all players would get ranking points?

The series is well in advance of where they thought it would be when it launched, the discussions in this thread are testament to that. Right now, there's a power struggle between the PGA Tour, and LIV, but once that settles down - and it will - because people are already calling for a truce, the LIV series and the other tours will move forward.
Your a full on PGA supporter - that's fair enough, and like Jay, you want to see LIV fail - but we've now reached a point where that would be to the detriment of global proffesional golf.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Well, is he on record as saying that nobody would be banned from the PGA Tour? HE may well be, I don't know. Likewise, did he say that all players would get ranking points?

The series is well in advance of where they thought it would be when it launched, the discussions in this thread are testament to that. Right now, there's a power struggle between the PGA Tour, and LIV, but once that settles down - and it will - because people are already calling for a truce, the LIV series and the other tours will move forward.
Your a full on PGA supporter - that's fair enough, and like Jay, you want to see LIV fail - but we've now reached a point where that would be to the detriment of global proffesional golf.

Is there a published timeline of where they expected to be now?

D

Deleted member 15344

I’m not a PGA supporter- actually prefer the ET

Why would LIV failing be detrimental to global world golf ?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I’m not a PGA supporter- actually prefer the ET

Why would LIV failing be detrimental to global world golf ?

Because "global proffesional golf", currently exists within primarily the USA, and the odd event in Europe. The game has huge growth outside of these areas, but they get very little attention from the proffesional game - because it is dominated by the PGA Tour. Imagine if Formula 1 decided to be based in 1 country - you think that would be good for the sport? What we have currently is just that - all the money is pumped into one country, within a sport that has global appeal. LIV has come along and challenged that, and as a result, the game will be strengthened across the world.

evemccc

Visit site
As an aside, Greg Norman was indisputably the best player for a number of years - and won a heck of a lot on the PGA Tour — and no doubt underachieved in terms of major wins in general

His success is mostly based on his PGA Tour performance — why has he always wanted to reform it or been at loggerheads with its hierarchy?

D

Deleted member 15344

Because "global proffesional golf", currently exists within primarily the USA, and the odd event in Europe. The game has huge growth outside of these areas, but they get very little attention from the proffesional game - because it is dominated by the PGA Tour. Imagine if Formula 1 decided to be based in 1 country - you think that would be good for the sport? What we have currently is just that - all the money is pumped into one country, within a sport that has global appeal. LIV has come along and challenged that, and as a result, the game will be strengthened across the world.

So if LIV disappeared the only thing that would change is

The two events they have created outside the US

The events they have created in the US

And a handful of golfers getting rich

The PGAT is a US tour - other countries around the world have tours that look after events - they will still be around

Where are LIV basing 80% of their events - The US - why ? Because that’s the biggest market

The game isn’t being “strengthened” around the world - a small amount of golfers are getting richer

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
So if LIV disappeared the only thing that would change is

The two events they have created outside the US

The events they have created in the US

And a handful of golfers getting rich

The PGAT is a US tour - other countries around the world have tours that look after events - they will still be around

Where are LIV basing 80% of their events - The US - why ? Because that’s the biggest market

The game isn’t being “strengthened” around the world - a small amount of golfers are getting richer

Well, LIV have got three events outside of the US this year, so that's you incorrect on your 1st point - and the 80% statistic. They have got a US bias of course, because that's where the current safe golf audience is, plus it's where most of the players are based - so it makes sense to have the majority of events there. But, they are taking those players across the globe, in a series that will gain momentum and publicity for the game - and as a result, the golfing audience across the world will increase - I doubt many people in the USA will watch the event in Thailand because of the time diffrence - but conversely that means events in the USA are challenging to watch in Asia, again because of the time difference, and 60% of the worlds population live in Asia - so, you can see there might be some potential there somehwere down the line, right?

So I can't agree on your last point, potentially untapped audiences getting to attend events with world class golfers, or watch them live on television isn't going to benefit golf globally? I think you are wrong again there.

D

Deleted member 21445

Well, LIV have got three events outside of the US this year, so that's you incorrect on your 1st point - and the 80% statistic. They have got a US bias of course, because that's where the current safe golf audience is, plus it's where most of the players are based - so it makes sense to have the majority of events there. But, they are taking those players across the globe, in a series that will gain momentum and publicity for the game - and as a result, the golfing audience across the world will increase - I doubt many people in the USA will watch the event in Thailand because of the time diffrence - but conversely that means events in the USA are challenging to watch in Asia, again because of the time difference, and 60% of the worlds population live in Asia - so, you can see there might be some potential there somehwere down the line, right?

So I can't agree on your last point, potentially untapped audiences getting to attend events with world class golfers, or watch them live on television isn't going to benefit golf globally? I think you are wrong again there.

Can I just say it is perfectly OK to like watching both tours.

Both have got some of the worlds best Golfers playing amazing golf on great golf courses.

D

Deleted member 1418

Hold on, LIV are taking their players across the globe? I thought the reason most of them joined was to play less golf and spend more time at home............!!! :unsure::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Can I just say it is perfectly OK to like watching both tours.

Both have got some of the worlds best Golfers playing amazing golf on great golf courses.

I agree, since the inception of LIV, I've watched a lot more golf from lots of different tours, and enjoyed all of it.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

As for the FEDEX comparison, it's clearly ambiguous, but can be seen as an "exemption" to the requiremnets in simple terms. I wouldn't be surprised if it was brought up in a future legal challenge, which is exactly where this will end up.

Being a successful businessman does not mean you can successfully build a new golf tour, they are not remotely the same thing