LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 21445

When it comes to Ogletree- there was the pathway for him - he just wasn’t good enough to make it , plenty of young Amatuer stars have made it through that pathway over the years. And then if they can’t make it to the PGAT they try other tours

As US Am - he got plenty of invites and chances to gain a tour card , he would have been given and in those events he mainly missed the cut , he even missed the cut in the event at Slaley Hall

If he was good enough he would be alongside the likes of Scheffler etc and have come through the ranks

Your right with Ogletree but I wasn't really referring to him TBH.

The PGA Tour need to invest in the Korn Ferry because make no mistake these young pros coming through will follow the $$$

Prize Fund wise
Livs Plan will make them by far the biggest and the Asian Tour the 3rd biggest.
The DP World Tour is in no man's land as many of their players will play Asian Tour events.

As Jay M said their fighting a battle where the ammunition of choice is dollar bills..

As long as the PGA Tour continues its "them or us" mantra I can only see one long term winner.... The longer they leave any Co exist talks the weaker their position becomes..

People can talk about OWRP but that ain't stopped the flow across to Liv so far...

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am sure some do care about the golf though, and not just golf as a means to a monetary end. No quibble with them making their choice, and the likes of Smith valuing dollars more than golfing acievement, is an each to their own thing. Some will choose golf though.

D

Deleted member 15344

Your right with Ogletree but I wasn't really referring to him TBH.

The PGA Tour need to invest in the Korn Ferry because make no mistake these young pros coming through will follow the $$$

Prize Fund wise
Livs Plan will make them by far the biggest and the Asian Tour the 3rd biggest.
The DP World Tour is in no man's land as many of their players will play Asian Tour events.

As Jay M said their fighting a battle where the ammunition of choice is dollar bills..

As long as the PGA Tour continues its "them or us" mantra I can only see one long term winner.... The longer they leave any Co exist talks the weaker their position becomes..

People can talk about OWRP but that ain't stopped the flow across to Liv so far...

There will never be any “Co-exist” between the two tours in the current format. LIV can only have 48 golfers at a time and they are only getting a fraction of the top players with the rest your standard fillers

If they changed to become standard 125 man field with 72 holes etc and the same level of funding then there will be an issue because that will mean ranking points and that’s a way into the majors for them

The players right now who are bothered about the majors already have exemptions so it’s not affecting them , the rest have either already had their chance or sacrificing it for the money

They will increase the funds on the Asia Tour but they won’t attract too many because of that - it will be used as a landing pad for the ones not playing a LIV event

And then there is the exposure - they still have no media deal in any of the big golf markets. The whole golf worlds eyes are on the majors and the big tour events - LIV events pass by for many

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The thing that annoys me the most with LIV is the huge number of boring as :poop: interviews that are cropping up from all sides and being rammed down our threats from every angle.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Smith is washed up now though. Rich. But washed up.
With all the attention on caddy conditions and pay, what about all the entourages of swing coaches, fitness trainers, nutritionists, mental coaches, stats gurus, physiotherapists, etc that are now redundant for the LIV golfers retiring from competitive golf.

RRidges

Visit site
I can see that you are missing the point - if you saw it, you would agree that the majors will change their criteria. It isnt needed at the moment. The players that matter still get in by the existing routes. BdC, DJ, PR, CS. But once there is a risk of a significant cohort of the worlds best golfers not having automatic access as they do at the moment, then the majors will react. There is no way they will hobble the prestige they hold today.
Except the issue is that they are likely to NOT BE amongst the world's (very) best golfers!
Just look at the way Stenson stuffed the rest of the entire LIV circus! Only DJ really stayed close to/competed with him.

Last edited:

RRidges

Visit site
But your view isnt a genuine view Mel.
Sometimes there isnt a debate. Or presenting a side of an argument for the sake of debate distorts the situation. There is no question but that LIV is disruptive to the bad, a garbage tour, and add nothing to the entertainment offering of pro golf. Arguing it makes you look like paid Liv advocate, or especially dim. Its like debating with climate change deniers, qanon, or faked moon landings believers - its not a debate. There is only one rational view on LIV - its a stinking pile of, and no sports fans want it or are interested in it succeeding.
If the bits in bold are really true, then it will certainly fail, simply by folk ignoring it! But I don't believe that's either the case, or the purpose! Disruption is certainly one of its purpose, and it's fine that existing tours defend their position(s) - that's surely part of their commitment to their members and organisations!

RRidges

Visit site
Im not really suggesting it. Its just if one took your posts as face value, one could. But as I have said also, its clear you are not, but my point is that you are arguing the unarguable and suggesting by that, that there is merit in LIV, when we all know, you included, that there isnt.
If LIV offered me 100Million (not that they would), I'd certainly go! So stating that there is no merit to/in LIV is clearly daft - or 'arguing the unarguable'!

Hoganman1

Visit site
Am i correct that right now LIV players who are currently qualified for the four 2023 majors will be allowed to compete? This would include former winners where applicable and winners of other majors. I know world ranking points will come into play for players not already qualified. Obviously, that has yet to be determined. Since each major has it's own set of rules about qualifying, I guess they will have to decide how to deal with LIV players fairly soon. While I'm not a fan of LIV, I say let them play if they qualify and want to compete.

RRidges

Visit site
Those banned players are now looking for opportunities to play elsewhere to gain ranking points, meaning they are playing globally = good for global golf.
I don't believe that will happen for long - otherwise it would be part of the 'natural' cydle anyway!
The field at Wentworth represents where Pelley could take the DP Tour if he wanted to, given the current circumstances.
That has to be balanced with/against opportunities for genuine Euro players on PGAT - that Pelley has to plead to Monahan for!

RRidges

Visit site
Semi retired as a major champ, PGA winner with a lot of money in the bank. I get it but wonder if the lack of competitive championship golf will be a problem after the initial high of the money, time off etc.
If you check out his reasons for joining LIV, I think the money is a means to an end - as opposed to a the need to be constantly competing at a high level, in order to get to that end.
So competitiveness might go down, but maybe not against his 'peers' and he might even enjoy it more - as simply a recreation, having earned enough to be permanently comfortable!