LIV Golf

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t think

Talked about the other stuff earlier

the bit in bold.... Absolutely fine if they accept that they won't be invited to PGA Tour events/DP Tour events and Majors if the organisations don't wish to offer them an invite sadly they'll want their cake and eat it

does DJ need to be invited to the Masters or the US Open? he won both so meets the entry requirements

Id love to see tiger go across just to see what the PGA would then do.. because they wouldnt dare ban tiger from their tour

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
does DJ need to be invited to the Masters or the US Open? he won both so meets the entry requirements

Id love to see tiger go across just to see what the PGA would then do.. because they wouldnt dare ban tiger from their tour

The masters is literally an invitational

US Open is an interesting one I guess we will get to find out soon

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I think with the money they'll make they'll have plenty of cake so I don't see tour events being of any consequence. Monahan may wish that to be a bargaining tool but I just don't see it. Majors on the other hand is an issue, depending on the ambitions of the players. However, if they create their own successful breakaway tournaments and create 'stars' in the Golf world, you may find the interest in inviting these guys to the Majors increases..... even as an attempt to discredit their ability against bonafide golfers still plying their trade under Monahan. Poulter, Westwood and GMAC are unlikely to win Majors again but they have a Ryder Cup legacy and future captaincies that they've just, quite happily, put in jeopardy. Same for Horsfield and his future endeavours.

How do they get the OWGR ranking points to get into the tournaments ? None for LIV events I believe and the Asia tour will be low?

This is more a Gooch and Horsfield problem

is the Asia tour/LIV the future ?

Will the Saudis Chuck billions to create a world tour?

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
How do they get the OWGR ranking points to get into the tournaments ? None for LIV events I believe and the Asia tour will be low?

This is more a Gooch and Horsfield problem

is the Asia tour/LIV the future ?

Will the Saudis Chuck billions to create a world tour?

Masters is invitational, the Opens are 'open' so players could qualify. The ranking points system has changed over time, the PGA didn't always recognize it yet players still played in Majors. Things change. Low points for the Asia tour has partly to do with the quality of the field. Golf can't be a closed shop to only the established partners - I'm not saying this is the answer but alot of the posturing is self-preservation and posturing.

Will the Saudi's use their billions to create a World Tour.... they're splashing plenty, so hard to see why they wouldn't. It's very interesting, I'm not (yet) in favour of it but I find the commentary to be enlightening - BBC reports Nicklaus turned vast sums, but conveniently forgets to mention he already took Saudi cash to design for them, and was delighted to do so.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Masters is invitational, the Opens are 'open' so players could qualify. The ranking points system has changed over time, the PGA didn't always recognize it yet players still played in Majors. Things change. Low points for the Asia tour has partly to do with the quality of the field. Golf can't be a closed shop to only the established partners - I'm not saying this is the answer but alot of the posturing is self-preservation and posturing.

Will the Saudi's use their billions to create a World Tour.... they're splashing plenty, so hard to see why they wouldn't. It's very interesting, I'm not (yet) in favour of it but I find the commentary to be enlightening - BBC reports Nicklaus turned vast sums, but conveniently forgets to mention he already took Saudi cash to design for them, and was delighted to do so.

I suspect the more obtuse the PGA Tour become about releasing players, the more the Saudis will be happy to fund a tour that could potentially challenge the Americans. Personally, I'd love to see it.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
I get that but as Mel pointed out it does draw in the betting markets, I don't bet but the market is huge, and viewers may buy into it.

As a shotgun start it is also a days golf compressed into 4-5 hours rather than a whole day and there will be no dead time whilst the last few groups take 10 minutes to decide a shot as the director can move to any hole and find a group playing. On Sunday in the PGA Scheffler played one hole and one shot in a spell of 45 minutes. I don't think it was his fault but how can that be good tv?

Let's face it, if they did more of the same then there is nothing to differentiate it from the US or European tours. It might be gimmicky but then perhaps it needs a bit of that to make ripples. If we go back to the Packer analogy, cricketers playing in pyjama's, what is that about? Roll on all these years..........

The issue for me is watering down events by spreading more players thinly over all of them. People mention cricket but it's telling that Test and domestic cricket, has fallen behind 20/20 and the IPL in terms of a spectacle and quality. IPL and 20/20 are a spectacle, but they're like chewing gum. Fun whilst it lasts but ultimately unmemorable entertainment without long term value. Of course TV and sponsors don't care. They get big TV figures etc on a rinse and repeat cycle.

Golf could go the same way with SL.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
I suspect the more obtuse the PGA Tour become about releasing players, the more the Saudis will be happy to fund a tour that could potentially challenge the Americans. Personally, I'd love to see it.

Unless it crushes the PGA Tour then golf will lose as the sport will be diluted between numerous events. You want to watch the best players in one place compete? Forget it.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
I’d say I’ve a better understanding of the golf market than somebody who can’t recognise that fans want more of the 17th at TPC, more of the 16th at Arizona, more of the competitiveness and excitement that we say all day of each day of The Ryder Cup.
The culture in the USA is beers, music, and laughs on the golf course. The US fans will love the concept of the LIV, aside from the dyed in the wool PGA Tour traditionalists.
Why the objection to something different? The LIV has taken nothing away from the other tours, and offers something different.
It strikes me that you want golf to be on your terms, the way you like it, and everybody else has to like it or lump it?

The lowest common denominator isn't always the best.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Unless it crushes the PGA Tour then golf will lose as the sport will be diluted between numerous events. You want to watch the best players in one place compete? Forget it.

If it crushes the PGA Tour, then so be it. The majors will still exist, maybe we'll see golf become truly global instead of focussed on America. Lets be honest, is there really any noteable concern over who wins in most of the tour events, be it PGA or DP World. I don't think it will end the PGA Tour by the way, but hopefully it will kick start some change within how the organisation is run, and presents itself to the rest of the golfing world.
Aside from Antarctica, every continent should have either a major, or a competetion that stands up as being one of the highlights of the golfing calendar. As it stands, next year, 3 of them are in America and the other is in Liverpool. That needs to change for the global welfare of golf.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
$125 million is just obscene!

The money is irrelevant to the spectator. LIV are trying to present it as a draw, but it is only an indication of what they reckon it will take to attract top golfers. And it seems it hasnt even done that. Most spectators dont know nor care what the prize money is.
In short, it seems like LIV will offer a lower quality field, fewer golfers, playing fewer holes.
Beats me how anyone can try to dress this up as a game changer fans have been looking for from pro golf.

OntheteeGavin

Visit site
Still wondering what the PGA & European tours (DP) have done so so wrong to the players who earn above an average salary! Nothing it's pure greed.

Some of the pro comments are laughable, must be on a %.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The money is irrelevant to the spectator. LIV are trying to present it as a draw, but it is only an indication of what they reckon it will take to attract top golfers. And it seems it hasnt even done that. Most spectators dont know nor care what the prize money is.
In short, it seems like LIV will offer a lower quality field, fewer golfers, playing fewer holes.
Beats me how anyone can try to dress this up as a game changer fans have been looking for from pro golf.

What gets the bigger crowd at the Olympics, the 10,000 metres or the 4 x 100 relay?

D

Deleted member 15344

If it crushes the PGA Tour, then so be it. The majors will still exist, maybe we'll see golf become truly global instead of focussed on America. Lets be honest, is there really any noteable concern over who wins in most of the tour events, be it PGA or DP World. I don't think it will end the PGA Tour by the way, but hopefully it will kick start some change within how the organisation is run, and presents itself to the rest of the golfing world.
Aside from Antarctica, every continent should have either a major, or a competetion that stands up as being one of the highlights of the golfing calendar. As it stands, next year, 3 of them are in America and the other is in Liverpool. That needs to change for the global welfare of golf.

Says who ?

The global welfare of golf appears to be very strong ?

Each continent has its top competition already

What gets the bigger crowd at the Olympics, the 10,000 metres or the 4 x 100 relay?

Not sure how that’s comparable

How about this

What got bigger crowds

The British Masters at Woburn

Or the Golf 6’s at Centurion

Both golf events

one the standard 72 hole strokeplay

Guess which one sold out

Last edited by a moderator:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The funniest thing is DJ's agent saying the offer was "too compelling to pass up"
Yeah right ?????????????
Just be honest and say I'm doing it for the money.....