LIV Golf

Barking_Mad

Visit site
If it crushes the PGA Tour, then so be it. The majors will still exist, maybe we'll see golf become truly global instead of focussed on America. Lets be honest, is there really any noteable concern over who wins in most of the tour events, be it PGA or DP World.
Aside from Antarctica, every continent should have either a major, or a competetion that stands up as being one of the highlights of the golfing calendar. As it stands, next year, 3 of them are in America and the other is in Liverpool. That needs to change for the global welfare of golf.

I'd be doubtful that it will be crushed to the point where LIV rules the roost and turns the PGA Tour into its current European Tour equivalent. I'm not massively keen on the PGA Tour being quite dogmatic about pushing the game in different directions, but at the same time it has made golf a strong brand which is at risk of being diluted down in the name of 'progressing the game'. People should be careful for what they wish for. ?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I dont know, but presumably the 10000m. Not sure how that is relevant to golf though.

It's not, but it's relevant to the point made that there is less to watch in the LIV series, there's less racing in a 4x100 relay, but it is in the top three viewd track and field events.

Sometimes less is more. ;-)

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
The funniest thing is DJ's agent saying the offer was "too compelling to pass up"
Yeah right ?????????????
Just be honest and say I'm doing it for the money.....

This is the thing though, it’s their job, they are playing golf for a living, it’s irrelevant what they have or haven’t in the bank in my opinion.
We would all take a pay rise if we were offered I’m sure.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does it really matter which country the money is coming from?
Is it just people getting uppity or showing others they give a toss.
China I suspect makes 99% of clubs
Just a drop in the oil ocean for them though - just sports washing

Some will just ignore where the money is coming from

Have you looked where your clubs are made?
And mine,and most on here.
Your the google expert
Try China atrocities

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Average world ranking of the players named so far : 304

Top 10 - 0
Top 20 - 2
Top 50 - 4
Top 100 - 16

It's the first event, I still think the field is impressive enough.

Even Rory stating now that the LIV series players shouldn't be harshly punished, so that's him re-opening the door to a big appearance fee from Gregg

Barking_Mad

Visit site
It's the first event, I still think the field is impressive enough.

Even Rory stating now that the LIV series players shouldn't be harshly punished, so that's him re-opening the door to a big appearance fee from Gregg

Personally I wouldn't shell out the entrance fee to go watch, even if I wanted to. I'm sure some will enough to be a successful turnout? I've no clue.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't shell out the entrance fee to go watch, even if I wanted to. I'm sure some will enough to be a successful turnout? I've no clue.

That's your personal choice, and I expect the 1st event will be fairly low key so they can iron a few things out, but I suspect by the time they are into the US events there'll be plenty of fans on the course - adding to the atmosphere.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does it really matter which country the money is coming from?
Is it just people getting uppity or showing others they give a toss.
China I suspect makes 99% of clubs

Have you looked where your clubs are made?
And mine,and most on here.
Your the google expert
Try China atrocities

The masters with its history of treatment of players of colour aswell..

we turn a blind eye when it suits ..

for some its a genuine moral issue.. for most they are using that because they dont like change.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
The PGA Tour rejected requests for waivers from players who want to play and reiterated its earlier threat to ban those that flout the rules.

"Members who violate the tournament regulations are subject to disciplinary action," read a PGA Tour statement.

"As communicated to our entire membership on 10 May, PGA Tour members have not been authorized to participate in the Saudi Golf League's London event, under PGA Tour tournament regulations."

The DP World Tour, which has also rejected waiver requests, told BBC Sport it has no comment to make at present.

D

Deleted member 15344

The masters with its history of treatment of players of colour aswell..

we turn a blind eye when it suits ..

for some its a genuine moral issue.. for most they are using that because they dont like change.

Who is turning a blind eye on the Masters history ? It’s been a discussion on here many times - And is a history that they are doing their best to change even slowly - Saudi are doing nothing to change their attitude towards -women , LGBQT community , human rights issue and even there on going war with Yemen and of course the state sponsered murder

I have no interest in any event staged by the Saudi regime whether that be football , F1 , Boxing or anything else they have tried to buy

Everything about the whole thing disgusts many people - including the man at the head of it and many of the statements he has come out with.

People can use whataboutary if they want to but doesn’t make peoples point about sport washing irrelevant - morals will be playing a big part in it for many

I live 15 mins from Centurion and been offered free tickets - turned down as have many of the people I know and all for the same reason . Currently they are begging clubs in the area for help - not getting much uptake for that help.

It’s the same for Aramaco Series

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Can't wait for the NRA AR-15 Classic in Sandy Hook and the inaugural Putin Invitational Series to be announced. Would be great with some more competition to get those dinosaurs at the PGA Tour to wake up.
You will need to explain the relevance of a reference to a massacre of children in a thread discussing a golf tournament, I can't see one.

Bobthesock

Visit site
Read on the golf channel website that the top 5 from the Asian tour event at slaley hall this week qualify, is this right? Then maybe Phil and that's the field complete?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I was having a general reflect - us weekend chompers, we pay an entry fee for comps and if we do well we may win more back.
This carries on into the smaller tours (e.g Jamega, Clutch Pro) - the pros pay to enter hoping to win more.
At some point the tournaments become a money making event in their own right - they become 'entertainment'.

The main attraction to LIV is for the players - guaranteed money, shorter week away from home. More predictable working times.
Whether that can tick the entertainment box remains the big unknown.