LIV Golf

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I'm amazed by DJ jumping ship. That is a huge coup for the tour. I know his form has dropped recently but even so, that will surely shock the PGA.
Wonder if still a little baggage from his "PGA Tour ban", that wasn't a ban ?
Also wouldn't be surprised if some extra $ have been promised to cover sponsorship drops etc.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
The reason this will succeed is because.... it does appeal to many many golf fans.

What is 'it' that appeals ?

54 holes ? Big deal. Nobody is obliged to watch 4 days anyway. Most drop in and out as suits
Team ? That is a nothing.
Guaranteed big money for the players ? Thats a nothing for spectators.
Bigger money ? Thats a nothing for spectators.
Shotgunstart ? Yes, that could provide some interest.
Saudi involvement ? Of interest only to those keen on sportswashing a very dodgy and backwards regime.
Missing most if yhe worlds best players ? That has to be a negative in everyones book.

Some players may have indeed issues with the running of, and financial structure and distribution of money on the PGA Tour. But that is of zero relevance to spectators. Spectators, or Golf in its overall sense, are not looking for a solution, that LIV purports to solve

Last edited:

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Saturday evening, few beers, bets on, sat in the garden watching the LIV event draw to a conclusion as multiple players and teams fight for a MASSIVE prize, or late Sunday night/early hours of Monday morning, trying to stay awake to watch the Canadian Open stumble to an end.
Oh yeah, and one of them is free to watch without paying any subscriptions or breaking any laws.
Well, you could do both, but I’d have thought that given your enthusiasm, you would actually be at this inaugural ground breaking, innovative, supercharged, reinvigorating, cutting edge piece of entertainment ?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
So what if it’s on you tube ? People still won’t watch it - do you even understand the golf market and the people that watch the comps ?

you are dreaming if you think this is going to be a success - money doesn’t buy everything and not all sportswashing works
I’d say I’ve a better understanding of the golf market than somebody who can’t recognise that fans want more of the 17th at TPC, more of the 16th at Arizona, more of the competitiveness and excitement that we say all day of each day of The Ryder Cup.
The culture in the USA is beers, music, and laughs on the golf course. The US fans will love the concept of the LIV, aside from the dyed in the wool PGA Tour traditionalists.
Why the objection to something different? The LIV has taken nothing away from the other tours, and offers something different.
It strikes me that you want golf to be on your terms, the way you like it, and everybody else has to like it or lump it?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Well, you could do both, but I’d have thought that given your enthusiasm, you would actually be at this inaugural ground breaking, innovative, supercharged, reinvigorating, cutting edge piece of entertainment ?
If I lived in the uk, and not in Spain, I’d be there - 100%

D

Deleted member 15344

I’d say I’ve a better understanding of the golf market than somebody who can’t recognise that fans want more of the 17th at TPC, more of the 16th at Arizona, more of the competitiveness and excitement that we say all day of each day of The Ryder Cup.
The culture in the USA is beers, music, and laughs on the golf course. The US fans will love the concept of the LIV, aside from the dyed in the wool PGA Tour traditionalists.
Why the objection to something different? The LIV has taken nothing away from the other tours, and offers something different.
It strikes me that you want golf to be on your terms, the way you like it, and everybody else has to like it or lump it?
so you think what golf needs is more drunk people throwing cans and beer all over the course and the players ? Fans wants to see the golfers being shouted and screamed “mashed potato” at them as they take shots ? - you think that fans want to see more like football crowds than traditional golf crowds ?

And here they have it at a golf club that the general public can’t play ?‍♂️

And the excitement from the ryder cup comes down to the rivalry between the US and the European - have you ever watched a Presidents Cup and seen how damp it is ?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
so you think what golf needs is more drunk people throwing cans and beer all over the course and the players ? Fans wants to see the golfers being shouted and screamed “mashed potato” at them as they take shots ? - you think that fans want to see more like football crowds than traditional golf crowds ?

And here they have it at a golf club that the general public can’t play ?‍♂️

And the excitement from the ryder cup comes down to the rivalry between the US and the European - have you ever watched a Presidents Cup and seen how damp it is ?
Just because it’s not to your taste, doesn’t mean it’s not to others.
For the record, I don’t see the point of throwing beer around on a golf course, but, that kind of atmosphere is very very rare in golf, so why can’t we have a series where it’s expected, rather than frowned upon? Different strokes for different folks.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site

What is actually different about it, apart from the lower quality fields, that actually matters to fans ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree. But a lower quality field and a shotgun start doesnt sound like a game changer fans havent been clamouring for. So in sum, it offers them less than they already have. Hardly a recipe for LIV success then.

It's been said that year 1 doesn't need to be a big success

Even if only some top 200 players came it's the beta testing year

It's next year they aiming for

Now, they have DJ along with 14 other top 100 players , that's pretty good with 6 more players to be announced

I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it live and then after the season into next year

No point all the judging a book by it's cover

It could be great but also it could be god awful, I'd rather give it a chance than blindly refuse to even entertain it

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
He wouldn't be now DJ is there would he? A younger player who still is very much challenging .. I know Phil won a major recently but DJ has his career ahead of him not behind (well did before this gamble)

Phil's ego is much bigger than DJ's, though. DJ has also called off a bit lately and dropped out of the top 10. I bet Phil thinks he could take him.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
It's certainly divisive, but it's going to happen and is definitely not "dead in the water". It might be short lived and no threat like the XFL (although the Rock did recently buy this).

Impossible as it may be to separate the two - ie the Golf and the Saudi backers - the discussions / debates for the 'Golf' have some merit; the discussions / debate for the Saudi aspect less so (basically, there can be argument for their human rights argument, treatment of women, sexuality etc. but there's a lot of nose holding while the DP World throw money to the ET, Newcastle have new owners and there's a World Cup in Qatar at Christmas. It's hard not to conflate the issues but if we were to consider just the golfing element would we all feel the same?

The PGA Tour has reached the summit to the detriment of the ET. Now that it is there, there's no way they want to have a rival organisation threaten their power. But similarly, surely competition and an alternative is a good thing?

I don't for one second think everything LIV are proposing will work. But in a game often described as stale and too 'traditional', why not think outside the box and see what happens? If you think the format is ridiculous you've nothing to worry about as it will help lead to its failure. If there's some successful elements, maybe others will have to adapt to survive. Competition is good (right?) and players surely have the right to decide what career path is right for them? Moral questions regarding human rights etc., obviously come at a price but for the majority it's a price worth paying (Tennis, F1, WWE, Boxing etc.). Sure, there's a minority of individuals who stay true to their principles, but I suspect most, in the end, will find a way to justify it.

Being broadcast on Youtube is interesting; I consume a lot of golf content on Youtube and know the golf 'influencers' have been present at Tournaments in Dubai and Phoenix etc., and marketing companies are loving it. Much like the early days of digital streaming it has to start somewhere (Movie studios were quite vociferous in their opposition to Netflix's output but when the 'contractors' signed deals to star in the movies they've had to change their model to suit). I've tuned in for the Trilby Tour so I'll will be checking it out.

The lack of ticket sales - it'll be interesting to see how todays announcement of players changes this. I'd pay to watch Westwood, DJ, GMac and Poulter if it was on my doorstep.

I listened to Carters interview with Norman and it really was quite a condescending, dismissive interview..... I suspect he felt, and still feels, it won't be a success. The BBC had such an attitude with the UFC in terms of its coverage, preferring to extol Boxing; ultimately this has changed and is now a bedfellow with Bellator in order to remain relevant in the MMA world. The sustainability of the LIV venture is dependent on attracting star power and it's of to a good start with DJ; but with the money on offer, and the target audience, it has the ability to make unknown people into stars.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I don’t think
It's certainly divisive, but it's going to happen and is definitely not "dead in the water". It might be short lived and no threat like the XFL (although the Rock did recently buy this).

Impossible as it may be to separate the two - ie the Golf and the Saudi backers - the discussions / debates for the 'Golf' have some merit; the discussions / debate for the Saudi aspect less so (basically, there can be argument for their human rights argument, treatment of women, sexuality etc. but there's a lot of nose holding while the DP World throw money to the ET, Newcastle have new owners and there's a World Cup in Qatar at Christmas. It's hard not to conflate the issues but if we were to consider just the golfing element would we all feel the same?

The PGA Tour has reached the summit to the detriment of the ET. Now that it is there, there's no way they want to have a rival organisation threaten their power. But similarly, surely competition and an alternative is a good thing?

I don't for one second think everything LIV are proposing will work. But in a game often described as stale and too 'traditional', why not think outside the box and see what happens? If you think the format is ridiculous you've nothing to worry about as it will help lead to its failure. If there's some successful elements, maybe others will have to adapt to survive. Competition is good (right?) and players surely have the right to decide what career path is right for them? Moral questions regarding human rights etc., obviously come at a price but for the majority it's a price worth paying (Tennis, F1, WWE, Boxing etc.). Sure, there's a minority of individuals who stay true to their principles, but I suspect most, in the end, will find a way to justify it.

Being broadcast on Youtube is interesting; I consume a lot of golf content on Youtube and know the golf 'influencers' have been present at Tournaments in Dubai and Phoenix etc., and marketing companies are loving it. Much like the early days of digital streaming it has to start somewhere (Movie studios were quite vociferous in their opposition to Netflix's output but when the 'contractors' signed deals to star in the movies they've had to change their model to suit). I've tuned in for the Trilby Tour so I'll will be checking it out.

The lack of ticket sales - it'll be interesting to see how todays announcement of players changes this. I'd pay to watch Westwood, DJ, GMac and Poulter if it was on my doorstep.

I listened to Carters interview with Norman and it really was quite a condescending, dismissive interview..... I suspect he felt, and still feels, it won't be a success. The BBC had such an attitude with the UFC in terms of its coverage, preferring to extol Boxing; ultimately this has changed and is now a bedfellow with Bellator in order to remain relevant in the MMA world. The sustainability of the LIV venture is dependent on attracting star power and it's of to a good start with DJ; but with the money on offer, and the target audience, it has the ability to make unknown people into stars.

Talked about the other stuff earlier

the bit in bold.... Absolutely fine if they accept that they won't be invited to PGA Tour events/DP Tour events and Majors if the organisations don't wish to offer them an invite sadly they'll want their cake and eat it

D

Deleted member 25172

Can't wait for the NRA AR-15 Classic in Sandy Hook and the inaugural Putin Invitational Series to be announced. Would be great with some more competition to get those dinosaurs at the PGA Tour to wake up.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I don’t think

Talked about the other stuff earlier

the bit in bold.... Absolutely fine if they accept that they won't be invited to PGA Tour events/DP Tour events and Majors if the organisations don't wish to offer them an invite sadly they'll want their cake and eat it

I think with the money they'll make they'll have plenty of cake so I don't see tour events being of any consequence. Monahan may wish that to be a bargaining tool but I just don't see it. Majors on the other hand is an issue, depending on the ambitions of the players. However, if they create their own successful breakaway tournaments and create 'stars' in the Golf world, you may find the interest in inviting these guys to the Majors increases..... even as an attempt to discredit their ability against bonafide golfers still plying their trade under Monahan. Poulter, Westwood and GMAC are unlikely to win Majors again but they have a Ryder Cup legacy and future captaincies that they've just, quite happily, put in jeopardy. Same for Horsfield and his future endeavours.