LIV Golf

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think Phil wanted to see the supporting cast announced first, then with a triumphant roll of the drums, the star player.

He wouldn't be now DJ is there would he? A younger player who still is very much challenging .. I know Phil won a major recently but DJ has his career ahead of him not behind (well did before this gamble)

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do not watch golf , but I do look at the scores, I have only heard of 16 of those players and most of those have been going quite a long time, so isit just mainly players coming to the end of their careers looking for a last big payday

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Be interesting to see if play really is quicker, given that one of the reasons for “deliberateness“ on the tours is the fact that each shot potentially “costs“ so much. With even more money at stake, surely more care will be taken ?

Swango1980

Visit site
I do not watch golf , but I do look at the scores, I have only heard of 16 of those players and most of those have been going quite a long time, so isit just mainly players coming to the end of their careers looking for a last big payday
The fact you do not watch golf, but just look at the scores, probably means that the players you recognise have been about a long time, so that may give you a slightly misleading impression. However, given the controversy and possible sanctions on players, it was generally always going to attract either big name players approaching the twilight of their career (thus not much to lose), or younger players who are likely to struggle, or have been struggling to establish themselves on the PGA or DP Tours (i.e. worth the risk). In fact, if some of these unestablished players manage to do well early on in this new tour, it could put them on the map and actually help their career on the other main tours (as I think it could backfire on the PGA Tour if they just ban anyone playing in this rival tour. After all, I can imagine it being difficult to tell Dustin Johnson to stay away from the PGA Tour, as he is still a fan favourite to many fans)

AliMc

Visit site
Same for me Louise, i've little interest in watching others playing golf as I find it incredibly boring, wouldn't go to the end of my garden to watch Garcia, Westwood, Poulter etc tbh but appreciate that others will go and watch them

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I keep thinking of Kerry Packer in cricket.
Not sure how that played out long term but it certainly changed cricket.
It worked out very well for Kerry Packer, he picked up the broadcasting rights for cricket in Australia and revolutionised how tv broadcast the game, for the better. Players got paid much more, team branding came in plus other changes. Greg Norman can only dream that he impacts golf as Packer did.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
From the PGA website.

How are players schedules determined?
Each PGA TOUR member is an independent contractor and therefore sets his own individual schedule of events.

So how can they ban players ?

I have a number of independent contractors working for me. In their contract it states that whilst working for our company they can’t work for a competitor at the same time. If we found out they had been they would be gone immediately.

Swango1980

Visit site
I wonder if we'll see night time golf on the LIV Tour. Perhaps captivate prime time evening TV viewing in the States with floodlit courses and maybe all the glamour that goes with it. Fireworks when the winning put goes in, or the player lifts the trophy.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Be interesting to see if play really is quicker, given that one of the reasons for “deliberateness“ on the tours is the fact that each shot potentially “costs“ so much. With even more money at stake, surely more care will be taken ?
I think the idea is the event is quicker so it’s more spectator friendly, 3 days, simultaneously playing from a shotgun start.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Why? The teams are meaningless. Artificial. With no raison d'etre, affiliation to any region, country, city, history, club. Its one of the more ludicrous 'innovations' in this whole venture and shows how out of touch those behind it are.
People will build an affiliation to a team, might be based on the players, the team colours, the manner in which they play or even just the name. It also adds another aspect to the betting markets which are massive globally.
I think the ones that are out of touch are those that can’t see there’s a gap in the golf market which the LIV series is attempting to fill.

Swango1980

Visit site
People will build an affiliation to a team, might be based on the players, the team colours, the manner in which they play or even just the name. It also adds another aspect to the betting markets which are massive globally.
I think the ones that are out of touch are those that can’t see there’s a gap in the golf market which the LIV series is attempting to fill.
Seriously? Are the teams not random every time an event is played? If so, how does anyone build an affiliation with a team? You really think fans will build an affiliation because, for example, they like the colour blue. Or they love the name Big Bertha Bashers?

Is your real name Greg Norman?

D

Deleted member 15344

You joking ?

Build an “affiliation” to a made up team that won’t be the same again ?‍♂️

What “gap” do you think needs filling ?

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think the idea is the event is quicker so it’s more spectator friendly, 3 days, simultaneously playing from a shotgun start.
From the website…..
“The first seven regular season events will consist of three 18-hole rounds for a total of 54 holes, with no cut, and shotgun starts to ensure a faster and more exciting pace of play.

I‘m not sure that with an individual comp and team comp where the number of counting scores changes as the event progresses, running concurrently, and the amount of money on offer, will really generate an “exciting pace of play”, however I may be wrong.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You joking ?

Build an “affiliation” to a made up team that won’t be the same again ?‍♂️

What “gap” do you think needs filling ?
The gap is for people who find 72 holes of individual strokeplay repetitive and dull. Whether it works or not is another matter but if it offers something different then it may draw some new people in. I don't expect non golfers to watch but golfers who find week after week of standard strokeplay dull may well tune in.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Be like the constructors championship in F1

Who really cares ?

can just see it DJ needs a 3 for his team bonesaw united to secure the win … or a 4 to secure the singles event and pick up an extra *insert obscene amount* will he take on that tucked flag to get the win … OH THE DRAMA no he’s hit it middle away from the trouble he will have 40 foot for birdie :ROFLMAO:

But shotgun starts

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
The gap is for people who find 72 holes of individual strokeplay repetitive and dull. Whether it works or not is another matter but if it offers something different then it may draw some new people in. I don't expect non golfers to watch but golfers who find week after week of standard strokeplay dull may well tune in.

It’s going to be 54 holes of strokeplay with the players not giving a monkeys about the team

D

Deleted member 15344

The same gap they tried to fill with the “6’s” and ended up being a damp squid because the majority actually prefer to watch the individual format ?

Or the mixed format which did the same

Is golf on a decline somewhere that means we need to find an alternative format ? Are we really struggling at the moment ?

When the British Masters comes around do they struggle to sell the tickets - same with the PGA , The Open ?

There always seems to be their small minority that have this narrative that we must find something new and different - is it because cricket did something new ?

I could sort of understand if the sport was struggling badly and people just weren’t watching but that’s not the case

People imo want to watch good golf from the top players regardless of the format

The Saudi thing isn’t about “growing the game” or “bringing excitement” into the sport - it’s just rich oil barons sport washing and wanting to use their money to start ti dominate sport - that’s all it is

The minute the PGA and ET ban players from entering their tournaments will the best thing for the sport - spreading it out amongst multiple tours fighting for the riches is not good for the sport or the spectators