LIV Golf

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Pretty sure it's already been stated on here that it will be broadcast on YouTube, and that the same company that televise the PGA Tour events, are televising the LIV series. ;-)

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd posted previously that the owgr may hold an important key in recognising anything new.

The rankings points for a tournament are based on the field strength. So if higher ranking players did play on LIV that would earn a field strength, and potentially some PGA Tour events would reduce - hence this high stakes stand off

‐‐-----------------
Strength of Field

The Strength of Field for each tours event is determined by using the World Rating and Home Tour Rating.

The World Rating is based on the number of Top-200 World Ranked players competing in the event and a value is allocated to the position within the Top 200.

The Home Tour Rating is based on the number of Top-30 Ranked players using each tours end of year final ranking with a value allocated to the position within the Top 30 Ranked players. Exception - Web.com Tour Home Tour Rating is based on the number of Top-30 Ranked players prior to the Hybrid Events.

The World and Home Rating* using the values in the charts below are added together to produce the Strength of Field rating. The number of points** allocated to an event is then determined by the "Points Breakdown" and which band the total Strength of Field rating falls into.

Except the LIV is not on the eligible tour list for WGR, so ranking points will not be available no matter who turns up.

Last edited:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Hence the 1st paragraph.
I recall reports that the application had gone in, but hadn't seen it had been rejected. Do you have a link?

I think they've accepted they won't get it through in time for Centurion, but are hopeful for the next round in Portland. That's all I'm finding on Google.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
If it's reasonably successful then it will divide the game and water down the attraction, with top players split between two tours. That's not good for golf as you want the best players in the same event. I suspect the European Tour might be more worried about players leaving but I've not seen much mention of any leaving?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it's reasonably successful then it will divide the game and water down the attraction, with top players split between two tours. That's not good for golf as you want the best players in the same event. I suspect the European Tour might be more worried about players leaving but I've not seen much mention of any leaving?

If the tours behave and let players come and go it won't really because they aren't suppose to clash with wgcs or majors so the tours would still get their players

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
LIV Golf Invitational Series will feature 12 teams of 4 players each. Each event will be made up of a different field, so teams will be decided via a draft. Each team will have a team captain who will select the 3 open positions via a snake draft format.

that format will change over time surely ? It’s nonsense

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
LIV Golf Invitational Series will feature 12 teams of 4 players each. Each event will be made up of a different field, so teams will be decided via a draft. Each team will have a team captain who will select the 3 open positions via a snake draft format.

Why?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Why is it? This is the entire point golf needs more different events

If the tour fails but the PGA takes on a few diff events a year like these formats then it's a successful idea