LIV Golf

evemccc

Visit site
The masters with its history of treatment of players of colour aswell..

we turn a blind eye when it suits ..

for some its a genuine moral issue.. for most they are using that because they dont like change.

Disagree with the last bit…that people or groups of people ‘don’t like change’ is often said…I think what’s more pertinent is that the PGA Tour, connected businesses and US golf media are very fearful of losing out

They were pretty much at ease with the changes, in the power balance between the US PGA Tour vs. the European Tour and Asian tours from the 1980s to present day, which saw the PGA Tour increase its dominance

D

Deleted member 15344

I used to enjoy watching the best players playing on the European tour, but they all left for the PGA Tour..................for money.

I don’t think it’s as simple as that

Faldo gave a good chat about it a while back and it was more than just money for players

A lot of moved to help them gain entry into the majors and they believed it gave them a better chance to compete in those US based majors - and it was prob a big reason why Monty didn’t grab one because he stayed n the ET more. They were going to be playing on year round courses

He also mentioned being based in the US ( Florida where most went ) helped them with getting established with sponsers to get into events etc

And then the key was the ranking points were always higher for the US players - chicken and egg scenario

The money came after but getting a PGA Tour card is what moved the likes of Rose , McDowell , Poulter , Donald etc forward

Gaining a future for them will of course be in their mind when young and looking to establish themselves in the sport

DJ getting £100mil to play in 6 events is just down to money , and same with the others at the later stages of their career - it seems nothing but money driven , it will give them a big balance in their account - and if that’s their sole aim now then it’s perfect for them.

What LIV should have done is joined with ET and worked through it that way to try and be on par with PGA

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
If that's true that's a bit pathetic ..

Obviously, it could be untrue, but if that's the consequences they face, then I doubt many of the LIV defectees are too concerned.

3 day week, guaranteed million a year if they come bog last in every comp - alll 8 of them, and 3 months off over Christmas.

leonardo-dicaprio-memes-django-.jpg

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Obviously, it could be untrue, but if that's the consequences they face, then I doubt many of the LIV defectees are too concerned.

3 day week, guaranteed million a year if they come bog last in every comp - alll 8 of them, and 3 months off over Christmas.

leonardo-dicaprio-memes-django-.jpg

It would be litterally not wanting to lose face. A trivial ban

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Does it really matter which country the money is coming from?
Depends who is offering the payrise..
Well yeah, I think that’s the crux of the matter for a lot of folk. The money is coming from a state that appears to be trying to ingratiate itself into the western world but without accepting, or refusing to accept, many of the western worlds ways, i.e not carrying out mass beheadings, murdering and cutting up journalists, equal rights for women, gender and sexual recognition of minorities etc etc.
I suspect if Greg and his buddies had obtained funding from Switzerland or Australia for example there wouldn’t be such a ruckus…….but it’s coming from a rather dodgy regime with an appalling human rights record, who seem to think they can buy their way into legitimacy. Perhaps they can these days, as ethics, morals and fair play seem to be dwindling across many aspects of not just sport, but life in general.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Well yeah, I think that’s the crux of the matter for a lot of folk. The money is coming from a state that appears to be trying to ingratiate itself into the western world but without accepting, or refusing to accept, many of the western worlds ways, i.e not carrying out mass beheadings, murdering and cutting up journalists, equal rights for women, gender and sexual recognition of minorities etc etc.
I suspect if Greg and his buddies had obtained funding from Switzerland or Australia for example there wouldn’t be such a ruckus…….but it’s coming from a rather dodgy regime with an appalling human rights record.
I'm not sure about that. I think the questionable moral issue is one that has been just put in there to muddy the water. We all buy Saudi oil. Its impossible to separate your life from lots of unpleasant tangles, whether political, environmental, child labour, and so on. Is everyone in Newcastle going to stop going to games now ?

The real issue here is that the PGA Tour is being challenged. If everyone jumped lock stock and barrel to LIV, and they were playing proper 4 round tournament golf without any of the pathetic attempts to 'refresh' golf or bring it added razzmatazz, I would be fine with it, and simply keep tuning in and following it. But its the Mickey Mouse modifications which add up to nothing, and a rift which means we can end up with a split golfing world boxing style, that makes it messy. I dont care who gets the money at the end of the day as an organisation. I dont care what the players are paid - whatever it is, if it comes from sponsors, TV rights, and , merchandising, etc. I dont even know what they get for a win these days. The OWGR are the rankings that matter. The Fedex even lists itself as some sort of differential, which I presume is based on money at the root of it, but I dont know how it works. If DJ and co are excluded from the proper tourneys now, whatever he wins on LIV will count for nothing, and whatever the rest win on the PGA will be devalued. Who is the best any more ? Who knows.
Finger crossed it falls flat on its face. The indicators are that other than have plenty of $, LIV doesnt know what it is doing.

RRidges

Visit site
I suspect if Greg and his buddies had obtained funding from Switzerland or Australia for example there wouldn’t be such a ruckus…….but it’s coming from a rather dodgy regime with an appalling human rights record, who seem to think they can buy their way into legitimacy. Perhaps they can these days, as ethics, morals and fair play seem to be dwindling across many aspects of not just sport, but life in general.
I think that's simply an excuse from the anti-LIV folk and an essential part of the reason the funding is so massive. After all, the European Tour's headline sponsor is UAR based DP World, and little is heard about the similar, if not quite so severe, human rights issues in that part of the world.
It hasn't prevented Newcastle FC from being bought by a consortium that includes the Saudi PIF!

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think that's simply an excuse from the anti-LIV folk and an essential part of the reason the funding is so massive. After all, the European Tour's headline sponsor is UAR based DP World, and little is heard about the similar, if not quite so severe, human rights issues in that part of the world.

Not to mention the outrageous behaviour of them with the P&O situation which everyone condemned ..

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

The country is ruled by Sharia Law - the law prevents them from accepting the many of the western worlds ways - it's literally written into their laws!
I know it sounds batshit crazy to us, but it's no different to the laws that allow kids to buy guns in america, at an age when they can't buy beer.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The greed of the human being is hard to understand.
People with more money than they will ever need,for some reason just want more.
If DJ does sign I’m sure other big names will follow and it could actually take off.
That plus the nature of the Saudi regime are what completely turns me off. That for many it seems such things don‘t matter is no great surprise, but purely on matters of principle it’s not for me.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
If DJ and the like are being paid mega millions as appearance money, will they even bother too much about how they play in the event. They clearly don't need to compete for the prize money as its small change, even given their personal greed, and there is little "professional glory and status" attached to these events given the field (unlike the majors etc.).
Would be quite funny (and quite possible in my view) that DJ and co are nowhere near the leaderboard.........hopefully :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I don’t think it’s as simple as that

Faldo gave a good chat about it a while back and it was more than just money for players

A lot of moved to help them gain entry into the majors and they believed it gave them a better chance to compete in those US based majors - and it was prob a big reason why Monty didn’t grab one because he stayed n the ET more. They were going to be playing on year round courses

He also mentioned being based in the US ( Florida where most went ) helped them with getting established with sponsers to get into events etc

And then the key was the ranking points were always higher for the US players - chicken and egg scenario

The money came after but getting a PGA Tour card is what moved the likes of Rose , McDowell , Poulter , Donald etc forward

Gaining a future for them will of course be in their mind when young and looking to establish themselves in the sport

DJ getting £100mil to play in 6 events is just down to money , and same with the others at the later stages of their career - it seems nothing but money driven , it will give them a big balance in their account - and if that’s their sole aim now then it’s perfect for them.

What LIV should have done is joined with ET and worked through it that way to try and be on par with PGA
That will explain why McIlroy is not playing in the Irish Open but is playing in the JP McManus Pro Am the following day, to get more world ranking points and move himself forward.

D

Deleted member 15344

That will explain why McIlroy is not playing in the Irish Open but is playing in the JP McManus Pro Am the following day, to get more world ranking points and move himself forward.

How is that relevant to people moving the PGA Tour ? Rory always has a different schedule and ranking points at his stage of the career aren’t going to be an issue for him .

JP McManus has done a lot of good for Irish golf especially with getting the Ryder Cup to Adare Manor and the Pro Am where JP uses it to raise over £100mil for local charities since it started ( 20 years ago ) and a lot of the Pros are more than happy to help out raise the money

But I guess you can’t see pass the belief that Rory is just doing it for his own personal wealth gain ?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
How is that relevant to people moving the PGA Tour ? Rory always has a different schedule and ranking points at his stage of the career aren’t going to be an issue for him .

JP McManus has done a lot of good for Irish golf especially with getting the Ryder Cup to Adare Manor and the Pro Am where JP uses it to raise over £100mil for local charities since it started ( 20 years ago ) and a lot of the Pros are more than happy to help out raise the money

But I guess you can’t see pass the belief that Rory is just doing it for his own personal wealth gain ?
Nothing at all to do with the accumulation of wealth and everything to do with Rory not supporting the European Tour, which of course, was my original point.