LIV Golf

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd disagree tbh, I remember as a kid going to watch the Car Care Plan International at Moortown in the mid 80's, I remember seeing Faldo, Howard Clark, Lyle, Torrance, Woosnam, Mark James could have been there, a lot of the big names in European golf, who are still household names today - a few major winners amongst them

There's not a chance in hell players of that calibre would be entering that event if it were still running, they'd be over in the States playing in whatever comp was running on the same weekend.

Faldo Lyle and Woosnam spent most of their careers on the PGA tour.

Clark and James were hardly world superstars.
Torrance flip flopped between the two tours.
Those three were Major virgins.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Faldo Lyle and Woosnam spent most of their careers on the PGA tour.

Clark and James were hardly world superstars.
Torrance flip flopped between the two tours.
Those three were Major virgins.
So my point stands then, if Faldo Woosnam and Lyle spent most of their careers on the PGA Tour, but still made the effort to appear at a relatively low key event in the UK, surely that demonstrates how over time the PGA tour has swallowed up the market for profesional golf, at the expense of the European Tour?

D

Deleted member 3432

Faldo, Woosnam and Lyle only played the US Tour when they became superstars and not most of their careers.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
2 wins on the PGA tour.....was a great player but superstar ?
as for the Hall of Fame, that place is full of people who should not be there. e.g. George W Bush
He won 50 times on the European Tour and had 50 weeks as world number 1 - ranked 9th of all time!!

Be interesting to know what your parameters of golf superstar actually are ;-)

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
So you class Harrington as a golfing superstar?
Triple the suoerstar that Woosnam was at least. Succesfully retainin a major, and winning consecutive ones in a year, adds further distinction that eluded Woosnam.

Andy North will always be regarded as a bigger star than him too I guess.