LIV Golf

RRidges

Visit site
Thanks, I didnt even know the scoring, but that is woeful. The whole team thing must be a great embarrassment to all who have to push it, whether players, commentators, Greg. They know its farcical, but have to suspend belief to try to stick to the party line. The eye rolling in the commentary booth must be terrific.
It'll still get pushed as the bees knees, as it a differentiator from other Tours - in fact the only really significant differentiator! But it's actually the very worst part of the setup! They'll still push it as though it's a great feature and they might even be successful - but, to me, that simply demonstrates how the 'promotion' of a flawed product can turn it into a success in some environments and enough clout. Not for me!

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
But NOBODY is buying Saudi team golf. Its a pathetic joke. Its not that some like it some dont. Or might grow in to something. Its the greatest load of nonsense in golf since square drivers.

RRidges

Visit site
But NOBODY is buying Saudi team golf. Its a pathetic joke. Its not that some like it some dont. Or might grow in to something. Its the greatest load of nonsense in golf since square drivers.
I agree! But I have no doubt there will be buyers! Whether such deals will sweeten associated deals with Saudis is a different issue, but that's apparently how lots of dealing is done at that level!

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The team schtick is the single worst idea Saudi Tour has had.

Golf isnt a team game ! Stop trying to make Teams happen LIV !

.......In a way I like that they have it though........its great for having a laugh at LIVs cluelessness......it is the indisputable indicator of how disconnected from golf they really are. Probably dreamt up by a sheik. The rubbish names are just a bonus. With all the money behind it, how could they come up with something that bad ?????

And yet many people see the Ryder Cup as golf's most entertaining event of the year (when it's on).

RRidges

Visit site
And yet many people see the Ryder Cup as golf's most entertaining event of the year (when it's on).
The completely different - matchplay - arrangement is what makes the difference for me. And I'm pretty much neutral on the actual result!
The combination of singles and team format - with not all scores counting - is rubbish imo.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
But the teams actually sort of mean something there. I always think that the closest pro sport you can compare golf to is tennis. They're both individual sports with 4 big tournaments a year, and the rest of it most people don't really care about. And there is 1 main team version of the game in tennis in the Davis Cup, where people play for their country. Obviously in golf you have the Ryder Cup, President's Cup and Solheim Cup where players play for their nation/continent.

You can't just manufacture this team element when the teams mean absolutely nothing to begin with, imo.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Probably because they actually represent something that exists, as most sports teams do; a country, a city, a county, something that people can relate to or have an affinity with. What do the LIV teams represent, beyond sticking two fingers up at the PGA Tour?

D

Deleted member 21445

Wonder when we are going to hear from Jay Monaghon about the players idea to create a 18 tournament big purse no cut Liv Tour within the PGA Tour??

Do the hierarchy of the PGA Tour have enough faith in their product and history to refuse the players idea.
Their job is to look after their members so it could cause a bigger rift with the top players if they did?

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pg...l&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=golfdigest

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Probably because they actually represent something that exists, as most sports teams do; a country, a city, a county, something that people can relate to or have an affinity with. What do the LIV teams represent, beyond sticking two fingers up at the PGA Tour?

Have you failed to notice that some of the teams are already representing the countries or areas of the players that are in them?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The completely different - matchplay - arrangement is what makes the difference for me. And I'm pretty much neutral on the actual result!
The combination of singles and team format - with not all scores counting - is rubbish imo.
But the teams actually sort of mean something there. I always think that the closest pro sport you can compare golf to is tennis. They're both individual sports with 4 big tournaments a year, and the rest of it most people don't really care about. And there is 1 main team version of the game in tennis in the Davis Cup, where people play for their country. Obviously in golf you have the Ryder Cup, President's Cup and Solheim Cup where players play for their nation/continent.

You can't just manufacture this team element when the teams mean absolutely nothing to begin with, imo.

I was quoting a post that said golf isn't a team game.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Have you failed to notice that some of the teams are already representing the countries or areas of the players that are in them?

No I haven’t failed to notice that some of the teams have been contrived to contain players from the same country, which is not necessarily the same as representing the country.

I also haven’t failed to notice that by definition, if only some of them are representing a country or area, then some of them are not and therefore people are unlikely to have an affiliation with them, as per the original point.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
No I haven’t failed to notice that some of the teams have been contrived to contain players from the same country, which is not necessarily the same as representing the country.

I also haven’t failed to notice that by definition, if only some of them are representing a country or area, then some of them are not and therefore people are unlikely to have an affiliation with them, as per the original point.

Well your original point was that the teams exist to stick two fingers up to the PGA tour, which has absolutely no correlation to what you’ve just said.

evemccc

Visit site
I was quoting a post that said golf isn't a team game.

Cycling, like golf, seems to be an individual sport but professional cycling is team-based…teams are massively important in an individual’s success in winning the Tour de France

Personnel change yearly, sponsors change yearly, teams are not really nation-based

D

Deleted member 15344

PGA seem to be prompted into action by the players, Amybody think the proposal will be enacted, or enough?

I think it’s hard to judge until we actually see the proposals in full and from the right source

Right now it’s a lot of rumours etc and I hope a lot of the changes made don’t happen as they don’t improve the game for us and only appear to make rich golfers richer

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Cycling, like golf, seems to be an individual sport but professional cycling is team-based…teams are massively important in an individual’s success in winning the Tour de France

Personnel change yearly, sponsors change yearly, teams are not really nation-based

Cycling is a good example actually. Nobody supports a team in cycling. Individuals bemefit from the help of a strong team. But that is not the case in golf. Its entirely individual what you will score.
Bahrain victorious, or Bora, etc are a means of advertising. It adds nothing for fans, and fans have no affiliation to a team. Even Sky / Ineos with British ryders doing well was about the individuals, not the team.
Golf is even further distant from having team relevance. Nobody is ever going to decide they support the Nibblicks or whatever.
Its a mistake the Saudi will quietly bury if they get running in real golf.

For the moment though, its a good laugh.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Wonder when we are going to hear from Jay Monaghon about the players idea to create a 18 tournament big purse no cut Liv Tour within the PGA Tour??

Do the hierarchy of the PGA Tour have enough faith in their product and history to refuse the players idea.
Their job is to look after their members so it could cause a bigger rift with the top players if they did?

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pg...l&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=golfdigest
It's pretty much gossip currently, but would be interested to know if it's 18 stops in the USA, or not.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I think it’s hard to judge until we actually see the proposals in full and from the right source

Right now it’s a lot of rumours etc and I hope a lot of the changes made don’t happen as they don’t improve the game for us and only appear to make rich golfers richer

Not as rich as LIV though, and the new priposals seem like copying LIV.

Some positives,
Minor tour structure to support relegation and promotion,
Potential to add interest to 'lesser' events, some success elsewhere i.e. Rolex series on the European tour.

Negatives
Just the same as LIV but with less money
Will the reduced feilds etc mean its harder to exclude LIV from majors/OWGR.

Be interesting to see how long a proposal takes...