LIV Golf

RRidges

Visit site
And the plural of company is “companys” or “company’s” or something else?

This paragraph reads like it was written by someone in a data centre in a third world country. The digital equivalent of a sweat shop.
FWIW, your second 'sentence' isn't a proper one either!

Hoganman1

Visit site
I have two questions: One: I just saw a Zrixon commercial with Brooks Koepka. Do they have to keep him until his contract expires? Since LIV is not on TV (yet) Zrixon isn't getting the exposure they thought they would when they signed him. Two: Does LIV contribute to the local charities in their host cities like the PGA Tour does?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I have two questions: One: I just saw a Zrixon commercial with Brooks Koepka. Do they have to keep him until his contract expires? Since LIV is not on TV (yet) Zrixon isn't getting the exposure they thought they would when they signed him. Two: Does LIV contribute to the local charities in their host cities like the PGA Tour does?

To your question, this was reported..
https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/liv-golf-to-donate-1m-to-charities
Think similar reports in the US. Hopefully someone will follow up to check it's more than just words.

No idea how reputable this is...but interesting views.
https://www.realclearmarkets.com/ar...ng_that_the_pga_tour_is_a_charity_808930.html

Re sponsorships, I suspect Srixon will be monitoring. Apparently it is on TV in some countries already. It is clearly a much talked about topic, and these days the internet competes with traditional TV also.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

On the 2nd question - it's partly been answered already by IainP, but LIV have a 100 million dollar fund that they will donate to charities, and from the donations made already it looks like part of this will be supporting charities in the areas where the events have been held.

D

Deleted member 21445

Smith is undoubtedly a big loss. At some point there will be two weak tours with a portion of the worlds best golfers.

I think your RIGHT, it seems to be going that way and if that did come to pass its SO important the majors find a way for Liv Golfers to qualify for their events otherwise we have a terrible situation where the worlds best golfers NEVER play against each other and everything is diluted.

If this situation where the worlds best players are split across 2 tours does happen but they all came together at the majors then these huge amazing tournaments become even more significant..

Last edited by a moderator:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think your RIGHT, it seems to be going that way and if that did come to pass its SO important the majors find a way for Liv Golfers to qualify for their events otherwise we have a terrible situation where the worlds best golfers NEVER play against each other and everything is diluted.

If this situation where the worlds best players are split across 2 tours does happen but they all came together at the majors then these huge amazing tournaments become even more amazing..
There is no question of any golfer, who is at the level to play in a major, not playing in that major. Any concerns on that front are unfounded. The business of the four majors depends on having the best of world golf. So there is no way they will not allow entry to any golfer. They have nothing to gain by shooting themselves in the foot due to a commercial spat between two rival tours.

Hoganman1

Visit site
There is no question of any golfer, who is at the level to play in a major, not playing in that major. Any concerns on that front are unfounded. The business of the four majors depends on having the best of world golf. So there is no way they will not allow entry to any golfer. They have nothing to gain by shooting themselves in the foot due to a commercial spat between two rival tours.
Yes, this worries me as well. I believe as it stands now a player has to be a member of the PGA to compete in their championship. While the PGA Tour is a separate organization, all their members are also considered members of the PGA. That being the case, LIV members won't be able to play next May. That would be terrible even if the other three majors decide to allow qualified LIV players to compete.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Patrick Reed playing in Singapore this week with a few other low ranking LIV players. Finished 31st (total purse of $1.5m) and picked up 0.32 of a ranking point. That's apparently half as many as those at the Fed Ex who finished last (whilst making the cut) have received.

https://www.flashscore.com/golf/asian-tour/international-series-singapore/

The problem for LIV players, as can be seen here, is ranking points. Majors won't have to ban anyone because unless they have exceptions they're simply going to slide down the rankings and rule themselves out.

Edit: I see Richard Bland played in the DP Tour event this week.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
I'm not tarring the average people of Saudi Arabia as bad guys at all. But the rulers? Yes, they are bad guys and I don't like that they are looking to become heavily involved in running the pro game of golf.

The PGA has many faults but it's wild to see so many golf fans rushing to give them a kicking by putting the future of the game they love in the hands of people with zero historical interest in it. Just weird especially as LIV can't even decide what their own format will look like next year.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The PGA has many faults but it's wild to see so many golf fans rushing to give them a kicking by putting the future of the game they love in the hands of people with zero historical interest in it.

Well thats getting a bit over dramatic. 'The future of the game' is entirely unaffected by this spat. Who pays, and how much, the top 50 golfers in the world has precisely zero influence on the wider game, or 99.999999% of the worlds golfers.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Patrick Reed playing in Singapore this week with a few other low ranking LIV players. Finished 31st (total purse of $1.5m) and picked up 0.32 of a ranking point. That's apparently half as many as those at the Fed Ex who finished last (whilst making the cut) have received.

https://www.flashscore.com/golf/asian-tour/international-series-singapore/

The problem for LIV players, as can be seen here, is ranking points. Majors won't have to ban anyone because unless they have exceptions they're simply going to slide down the rankings and rule themselves out.

Edit: I see Richard Bland played in the DP Tour event this week.
Majors dont want to ban anyone. They want to include. And will modify their qualification criteria to ensure no top golfer misses out onplaying in them

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Majors dont want to ban anyone. They want to include. And will modify their qualification criteria to ensure no top golfer misses out onplaying in them

So they're going to skew the qualifying criteria to ensure 'top golfers' who have slipped down the rankings and aren't exempt get a free ride? What about all those they've leapfrogged over? I'd be amazed if they did that.

D

Deleted member 15344

The majors won’t change anything

The qualifying will be the same as it is every year

The Masters may actually change to ensure that LIV members can’t play after the “11” brought them into the court case

The Open will have the same qualifying including the qualifying series of which LIV players can play in

USPGA will stay the same

US Open has multiple ways for a LIV player to qualify

Next year LIV players will play in the Majors , they won’t be banned but The Masters may do something

But they imo won’t be adding LIV events or money lists to the list of ways of qualifying

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Well thats getting a bit over dramatic. 'The future of the game' is entirely unaffected by this spat. Who pays, and how much, the top 50 golfers in the world has precisely zero influence on the wider game, or 99.999999% of the worlds golfers.

Future of the game = Professional game.

Norman won't stop if he thinks he can reduce the PGA Tour to Korn Ferry status. Those wanting LIV to succeed should be careful what they wish for.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So they're going to skew the qualifying criteria to ensure 'top golfers' who have slipped down the rankings and aren't exempt get a free ride? What about all those they've leapfrogged over? I'd be amazed if they did that.
Not skew. Correctly an anomoly in the current system if it no longer identifies the worlds best golfers. Its not a free ride, anymore than the current system is. The arent leapfrogging anyone, simply correctly being recognised as worthy of automatic qualification.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not skew. Correctly an anomoly in the current system if it no longer identifies the worlds best golfers. Its not a free ride, anymore than the current system is. The arent leapfrogging anyone, simply correctly being recognised as worthy of automatic qualification.

In what way will the majors change their qualifying to allow players who are playing restricted comps to enter ?

There are multiple ways already LIV players can play in the majors - why would there be any need for the majors to change

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
In what way will the majors change their qualifying to allow players who are playing restricted comps to enter ?

There are multiple ways already LIV players can play in the majors - why would there be any need for the majors to change
Do you want the best players to contest the majors or just some of the best players?

If the majors are to remain the ultimate trophies then all of the top players need to be there. If not, be ready for the asterisk.