LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 3432

Patrick Reed playing in Singapore this week with a few other low ranking LIV players. Finished 31st (total purse of $1.5m) and picked up 0.32 of a ranking point. That's apparently half as many as those at the Fed Ex who finished last (whilst making the cut) have received.

https://www.flashscore.com/golf/asian-tour/international-series-singapore/

The problem for LIV players, as can be seen here, is ranking points. Majors won't have to ban anyone because unless they have exceptions they're simply going to slide down the rankings and rule themselves out.

Edit: I see Richard Bland played in the DP Tour event this week.

Got to feel sorry for Ewan Ferguson picking up a measly 8 points for winning on ET....

D

Deleted member 15344

Do you want the best players to contest the majors or just some of the best players?

If the majors are to remain the ultimate trophies then all of the top players need to be there. If not, be ready for the asterisk.

Was there any asterisks when players don’t make it for various reasons in the past ? Was there an asterisk next to Scheffler this year because Mickleson was asked not to be there

Each major has a qualifying stage that allows anyone to enter

The players won’t be banned - they just need to qualify the same as all the others

But they won’t change to all entrance from LIV events or money list.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The majors reputation and existence is based on having the best. They will have the best.
Was there any asterisks when players don’t make it for various reasons in the past ? Was there an asterisk next to Scheffler this year because Mickleson was asked not to be there

Each major has a qualifying stage that allows anyone to enter

The players won’t be banned - they just need to qualify the same as all the others

But they won’t change to all entrance from LIV events or money list.
It is only fair, and the same as all the others if Saudi tour players, or a portion of them, have the same express entry to the majors that players from the other tours do.

No asterisk if one player is missing. But certainly asterisk if a portion of the worlds best 100 golfers dont have the same access, or dont play in them due to unequal access. Which tour they choose to play does not affect their case to be given automatic entry.
Anyway, this is a non issue. The majors will alter their eligibility criteria to give them access, if many more defect to the Saudi regime.
They simply cant not.

D

Deleted member 21445

As I've said so many times it's the players that will determine how this all plays out.

If... I'm only saying if it happens OK.. a large enough proportion of the worlds best players are on another tour, the majors will have to rethink their critrleria..

They just won't let a situation happen where their is a chunk of the worlds best players missing, players the sponsors want to see, players the spectators want to see, players the TV company's want to see are not there.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
As I've said so many times it's the players that will determine how this all plays out.

If... I'm only saying if it happens OK.. a large enough proportion of the worlds best players are on another tour, the majors will have to rethink their critrleria..

They just won't let a situation happen where their is a chunk of the worlds best players missing, players the sponsors want to see, players the spectators want to see, players the TV company's want to see are not there.
Spot on.
The majors need the best players there.
Fact ?‍♂️

D

Deleted member 15344

The majors reputation and existence is based on having the best. They will have the best.

It is only fair, and the same as all the others if Saudi tour players, or a portion of them, have the same express entry to the majors that players from the other tours do.

No asterisk if one player is missing. But certainly asterisk if a portion of the worlds best 100 golfers dont have the same access, or dont play in them due to unequal access. Which tour they choose to play does not affect their case to be given automatic entry.
Anyway, this is a non issue. The majors will alter their eligibility criteria to give them access, if many more defect to the Saudi regime.
They simply cant not.
“Express entry” ?

Not sure what that is but I’m not aware of any express entry

How can you Judge them to be part of the best 100 golfers when they are not going ip against all those others across the full 72 holes week in week out

The majors won’t create entrance from the LIV tour and certainly not any “express entry”

All those top LIV players already have qualified for each major because of their performances whilst on the others tours and in majors DJ , Koepka , BDC , Smith when he leaves will be playing in the majors

Have a look at the actually qualifying of each major and you will see that there are more than enough ways for the players to qualify

But I have no doubt that the majors won’t change - unless it’s going the other way to ban them

The majors will be more than ok with players missing out - the majors are bigger than those and always will be , R&A were pretty clear about their thoughts , The Masters have been named in the court case and will know they run their ship how they want to run it

When it comes to the majors - they hold their cards not the players. And it’s also worth noting that none of the big players on LIV will be missing any majors for 5 years at least

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That makes no sense Phil. The majors are not part of this fight. They need the best golfers, and to be seen to have the best golfers. Anything less and their heritage and prestige and raison detre is gone.
Following your logic, if the top 48 from the world rankings of today jumped Saudi, are you saying the majors would plough on regardless with their current criteria, and potentially have 30+ of the worlds best golfers not playing in majors next year ?
They would NOT let that happen. They would change the criteria in the morning.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I think the majors will keep on with the current qualification criteria for the next year at least, apart from The Masters, who won’t take kindly to being dragged into the court case.

What I think will happen in practice is that LIV players will struggle to get enough points, new up & coming players, of which there are many thanks to the US college system, will find themselves filling the places of the departed LIV players on USPGA tournaments and they will take those points and qualify.

Don’t be surprised if the only LIV players you see in some of next years majors are the ones with exemptions .

D

Deleted member 15344

That makes no sense Phil. The majors are not part of this fight. They need the best golfers, and to be seen to have the best golfers. Anything less and their heritage and prestige and raison detre is gone.
Following your logic, if the top 48 from the world rankings of today jumped Saudi, are you saying the majors would plough on regardless with their current criteria, and potentially have 30+ of the worlds best golfers not playing in majors next year ?
They would NOT let that happen. They would change the criteria in the morning.

The Majors are part of the “fight” when The Masters were brought into the court case , they asked Micklson to not turn up , the R&A asked Greg Norman to not turn up - they are involved.

They aren’t going to change their criteria - The players can still qualify whatever Tour they are on - they aren’t banned from being at the Majors and many have exemptions - they have no need to change

D

Deleted member 15344

Waiting for the Cam Smith penalty backlash to begin?

Already has - seems it’s the first time that a player has ever been penalised the next day for a breach and it’s all because of LIV of course

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Are we putting an * next the the name of every player who won a major when Tiger was out injured?

D

Deleted member 1147

What amazes me is the correlation between rules issues & people wanting to go to LIV.
As didn’t Garcia talk of how glad he was to leave the PGA tour after a rules argument, and of course Reed and DeChambeau have always had their issues with the rules &/or rules officials.
Now, after Smith has a rules issue people think it guarantees his move to LIV.
Don’t the normal rules apply on LiV tour?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
My thoughts on the "majors".
The 2 opens will strive to be open as that is their USP. The Asian tour may be key to how many qualify.
In a way the Masters may be viewed as the original big money invitational, over the years they have been encouraged to become more transparent and have clearer qualification rules - anybodies guess how they react!
As @Hoganman1 mentioned, whilst the PGAT doesn't run the US PGA the ties are there, here's an extract from their qualifications ---
Winners of the last three Players Championships
The 70 leaders in official money standings on the PGA Tour (starting one week before the previous year’s PGA Championship and ending two weeks before the current year’s PGA Championship).
Members of the most recent U.S. and European Ryder Cup Teams, provided they are in the top 100 of the Official World Golf Ranking as of one week before the start of the tournament.
Any tournament winner co-sponsored or approved by the PGA Tour since the previous PGA Championship.

RRidges

Visit site
They probably wont. But so what. Like being a Ryder cup player, or a major winner in the last 5 years, world ranking points are only one tool used by the majors to ensure all the best get in. They will add another channel if they have to.
I don't believe they will! LIV players have access to Asian Tour, so that's their way in. Though there are issues with that approach too, as fields don't justify sufficient points and if multiple LIV players play, then points are likely to be reduced for several of them, even if (or because) all end up high on the leaderboard.