LIV Golf

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I believe the lack of a cut is a showstopper.
Neither the 54 hole, nor the circus nature and lack of qualification don't seem to be showstoppers, though I can see an argument for both having to change to some degree in order to get OWGR accreditation.
To me, it's the closed (as opposed to open) nature of the entire series that doesn't fit with the concept of what 'competitive golf' is about. Until entry to LIV tournaments are truly open - through qualification into individual events in a similar way to regular tournaments elsewhere - then I'm against LIV getting OWGR. That uncompetitive nature is more important, for me, than (what I believe is a showstopper for OWGR qualification) of a cut where those that miss don't get prize money.
https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2021/05/14/which-pga-tour-events-have-no-cut-106638/

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So when that starts and it’s a true qualifying then they will look at it. No one can qualify for next year - they have “picked” or “invited” their players for next season already for those LIV events

It was never going to be a fixed model, it was always going to evolve based on its success or lack of no different to any other business model

D

Deleted member 21445

Wouldn't be surprised if you don't see Cam Smith play on the PGA Tour again for a very long time after this past weekend.

Don't buy that sore hip nonsense for a second.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The statement does say that he's resting this week in order to be sure of competing for the FedEx Cup.......
And if he has already signed with LIV then, in my opinion, he is massively disrespecting the rest of his fellow professionals by playing anyway.

D

Deleted member 15344

I’m sure in the Sunday afternoon coverage the commentary team said they also spoke with him Saturday.

My point is there are various staff watching for breeches etc, is it it their job to assess these straight away or are they just there for the tea and biscuits.

This isn’t an anti pga pro liv argument, but the cynic in me says someone stired the pot overnight.

I really hope he does win it now

They have explained it pretty clearly , he wasn’t spoken to on the Saturday and it was only when they reviewed the footage they then asked Smith for clarification who confirmed that it was on the line and he didn’t know it was a rule and once Smith realised he had no issues with the ruling

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They have explained it pretty clearly , he wasn’t spoken to on the Saturday and it was only when they reviewed the footage they then asked Smith for clarification who confirmed that it was on the line and he didn’t know it was a rule and once Smith realised he had no issues with the ruling

So in your expert opinion no body in the rules booth or commentary booth saw that breach or reviewed any footage until the following day?

Give your head a wobble Phil..

D

Deleted member 15344

So in your expert opinion no body in the rules booth or commentary booth saw that breach or reviewed any footage until the following day?

Give your head a wobble Phil..

As they said

Inital quick view they couldn’t see any issue

On viewing again the rebroadcast they thought it was close to the line and worth a revisit and on that second look it they felt it was close to the line and to ask the player

Not everything is a conspiracy and it’s very possible that it’s exactly how they stated it was

D

Deleted member 15344

But still, the future of LIV golf has qualification places, so the tenuous argument that it is “invitation only” isn’t true beyond 2023 - something that will be factored in on the OWGR application.

But it’s not 2023 yet - anything beyond now is pure theory

So when they do put the application in then it’s going to take a while , also one person or is it two being able to qualify will I don’t think satisfy the requirements

For them to get the full level of rankings they will need to go to the same requirements as the other tours

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The statement does say that he's resting this week in order to be sure of competing for the FedEx Cup.......
And if he has already signed with LIV then, in my opinion, he is massively disrespecting the rest of his fellow professionals by playing anyway.

Bit strong that, if he has signed with LIV, he can play wherever he likes until he makes his 1st appearance on a LIV event, that's the precedent set by the PGA Tour.

RRidges

Visit site
Bit strong that, if he has signed with LIV, he can play wherever he likes until he makes his 1st appearance on a LIV event, that's the precedent set by the PGA Tour.
This forum is all about opinions, so strength or weakness of opinion is irrelevant!
But I too believe he's entitled to play PGAT events (or Majors) until he's teed it up in a LIV event. And there's no disrespect to other PGAT members until he has done so.

D

Deleted member 21445

Interesting interview with Rickie Fowler about the whole PGA v Liv soap opera

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/...ckie-fowler-will-stay-pga-tour-liv-golf-news/

“I’ve told the Tour and Jay when I’ve met with them that I don’t think they have handled it very well at all. A lot of the stuff that has happened in the last 6 months to a year and is starting to happen, to me they are reacting to it versus when the talks of Premier Golf League and LIV came about is when they should have been proactive and gotten in front of it,” Fowler said.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Yes. If the top 48 owgr of today jumped, and only played LIV, then the majors have to ensure they qualify. The majors have no motivation to 'punish' them like the pgat ot DPWT who are commercial rivals to the Saudis. Having a theoretical access to the majors through Asia tour or qualifying rounds will not ensure they are in the starting field. So they will modify the criteria to ensure that they are. Maybe a top 20 on the LiV not already qualified by other means for example. Similar to Ryder cup team qualification.

You're reaching somewhat....