LIV Golf

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
... and if people choose to play the LIV events they officially align themselves to LIV events only and accept the career ban from PGA events.
The issue I see with that approach is that any ban by PGA (for example) is not on the grounds of humanitarianism, but on pure self-interest! Maintaining the duopoly (well almost monopoly) is all that's important to them!
And, as I described, The Euro Tour is in absolutely no position to argue anything but self-interest!

Last edited:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Quite clearly, the LIV tour is going to take something away from the PGA and The European Tours, unless of course both those organisations take the logical decision to allow players the dispensation to play in whatever events they want.

Just read a few tweets from Brandon Chamblee - and he's mentioning the "worst regime on earth" in his justification to his opposition of the series - but it's quite clear he wants to protect what he sees as the number 1 tour, and is using the Saudi backing to the foundation of his argument.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Garcia has always had a love-hate, mostly hate, relationship with PGA Tour galleries. He has his major now, his RC run is probably coming to an end, like Poulter, and he probably does not have the mental energy left to wait it out until the Champions Tour, so a couple of years hoovering up dough in Saudi and he heads back to Spain to buy a lower league football team as his late career/hobby.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the big targets are going to be those hovering between 20-40 in the world rankings, still good enough on their day to scoop a big pay cheque but should earn pretty well at most events as an average,

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Garcia has always had a love-hate, mostly hate, relationship with PGA Tour galleries. He has his major now, his RC run is probably coming to an end, like Poulter, and he probably does not have the mental energy left to wait it out until the Champions Tour, so a couple of years hoovering up dough in Saudi and he heads back to Spain to buy a lower league football team as his late career/hobby.

Doesnt he already own one?

Edit : no he doesnt he has been president of one though...

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The thing that annoys me most about Sergio's outburst is this...
Mate..you don't HAVE to be on this Tour anyway...if you don't like it then leave.....
But only when your multi million deal with LIV kicks in though......wouldn't want you going hungry....

Another player rapidly dropping down in my estimations........

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The thing that annoys me most about Sergio's outburst is this...
Mate..you don't HAVE to be on this Tour anyway...if you don't like it then leave.....
But only when your multi million deal with LIV kicks in though......wouldn't want you going hungry....

Another player rapidly dropping down in my estimations........

Made out like he's being held hostage and forced to make 54m all these years.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
See Westwood and Bland have asked for requests to play in the LIV Golf events - and here begins the Saudi golf bingo

I'll start the bidding with..... Independent contractor
Is there a little bit of Karma going on right now as both the aforementioned appear to be missing the cut this week..?:whistle:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Not sure that will terrify the other tours too much. It goes along with the theme of older players, past their best.

Like Tiger - who dominates golf media whenever he turns up at a golf course?

I think the LIV series might surprise a few people, and I think the PGA and journos that are up it's backside know it.

Shotgun starts, team drafts, team colours, shorter and more engaging golf which will suit the viewing public.

If Sergio and Westy were playing in any torunament, I'd still be drawn to watch them over some of the younger players, so there's no reason why they won't pull in the crowds for the LIV events. It will be interesting to see how the TV deal pans out - if it's accesible and not overly expensive, then people will tune in.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Can someone explain to me why it is, or was, acceptable for the European Tour to accept Saudi money to sponsor European tour events, but not acceptable for individual golfers to accept Saudi money from a Saudi tour as I'm struggling a little with the distinction here?

And given that our cars are probably all running on petrol distilled from Saudi oil, do we all need to start walking to the golf club before we start pointing fingers?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Can someone explain to me why it is, or was, acceptable for the European Tour to accept Saudi money to sponsor European tour events, but not acceptable for individual golfers to accept Saudi money from a Saudi tour as I'm struggling a little with the distinction here?

And given that our cars are probably all running on petrol distilled from Saudi oil, do we all need to start walking to the golf club before we start pointing fingers?

Ideed, and Shell, who have a huge interest in Saudi Oil, used to sponsor a PGA Tour event. The hypocrisy is quite remarkable.