LIV Golf

4LEX

Visit site
This basically the pre Seniors Tour, Tour. A load of has beens playing who have no chance of winning majors or playing in the Ryder Cup. Pretty obscene and a terrible event to watch. The viewing figures would be lower than a snakes belly.

But if anyone of us were past their peak in their field of employment and a start up offered you 5 times the salary who would say no? There lies the issue.

Unless the European Tour get tough and ban anyone who plays, it'll give future events credibility and more players will sign up.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
The last mention I heard of them would have been on the NLU podcast, a few months ago. I think the general consensus was that they would work with the PGA Tour, and run WGC style events a few times a year with ridiculous purses. I think their funding originally was oil money too, but they have since changed that...

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good for McIntyre, but he is at an entirely different place in his career than Bland. McIntyre has the potential to break through as a global figure, and has yet to play in many majors. In 20-odd years when he has racked up millions of air miles, and he has a family and his joints are a bit more creaky, maybe his putting is getting twitchy and he has lost distance to the young bucks, he may have a different view, and retiring on a soft pile of cash might be attractive.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Devils advocate mode...

Is any one of us not supporting the saudi regime every day...

The list of companies they are heavily invested in is enormous
BP
Facebook
Marriot
Newcastle Utd
Citibank
Boeing
Disney
Shell
Pfizer
Starbucks

The list goes on, and those are only the easy to find ones. How many of us are going to turn our back on all those companies and their benefits as a stand against the saudi regime?

Devils advocate mode off.

If Robert MacIntyre is flush and happy, could he send his next few cheques my way? They'd really help...

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Devils advocate mode...

BP
Facebook
Marriot
Newcastle Utd
Citibank
Boeing
Disney
Shell
Pfizer
Starbucks

The list goes on, and those are only the easy to find ones. How many of us are going to turn our back on all those companies and their benefits as a stand against the saudi regime?

If Robert MacIntyre is flush and happy, could he send his next few cheques my way? They'd really help...

The PGA Tour would be just as unhappy if a rival global golf tour was set up in Texas. The fact it is bankrolled by the Saudi state is an additional issue that bothers some people but not others, but is probably not the primary one.

As for Saudi being heavily invested in those other companies, investing in publicly traded companies is a bit different from bankrolling a new golf tour. I don't like the Saudi regime, but don't plan to boycott Pfizer or Marriott products, although I never much liked Newcastle Utd and don't like them any more since the Saudis got involved.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good for McIntyre, but he is at an entirely different place in his career than Bland. McIntyre has the potential to break through as a global figure, and has yet to play in many majors. In 20-odd years when he has racked up millions of air miles, and he has a family and his joints are a bit more creaky, maybe his putting is getting twitchy and he has lost distance to the young bucks, he may have a different view, and retiring on a soft pile of cash might be attractive.

Is it the enjoyment for the game at the moment that is outshining the lure of a big pay cheque.

But I 100% agree, him and westy have are at the opposite ends of the spectrum and as such have completely opposite opinions. Isn’t it funny how the big earners(Rory example) dismissed it but others who have never really been at the elite earning end have considered or in west us case moved. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Donald there, once a number one but limited shelf life.

When people like Rory are signing huge deals (example the nike deal), asking for appearance money , attending events with but purses and so on, this will always come from big money sources and a percentage of this will be from similar sources as the Saudi league. More attitudes like bob macs will mean less requirement of big sponsors

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Devils advocate mode...

BP
Facebook
Marriot
Newcastle Utd
Citibank
Boeing
Disney
Shell
Pfizer
Starbucks

The Uk - namely BAE - have sold over 20 billion pounds worth of arms to the Saudi's in the last 8 years. Those weapons have been used to kill people.

I'm pretty sure that of all the people that work for the company, some play golf.
I'm pretty sure some people will have investments with BAE systems in the form of shares.

Do we blackball all these people as well?

Last edited:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Is it the enjoyment for the game at the moment that is outshining the lure of a big pay cheque.

But I 100% agree, him and westy have are at the opposite ends of the spectrum and as such have completely opposite opinions. Isn’t it funny how the big earners(Rory example) dismissed it but others who have never really been at the elite earning end have considered or in west us case moved. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Donald there, once a number one but limited shelf life.

When people like Rory are signing huge deals (example the nike deal), asking for appearance money , attending events with but purses and so on, this will always come from big money sources and a percentage of this will be from similar sources as the Saudi league. More attitudes like bob macs will mean less requirement of big sponsors

Westwood is worth $40m, he is the all time leading money maker on the European Tour with E38m, I am presuming that he has invested some of that fortune, he has no need to ever work again he could completely retire and live a life of luxury. Just because McIlroy and other stars are earning more doesn't mean it isn't greed to look past the human rights abuses to earn more millions, when you are already comfortable in the top 0.1% of earners in the UK

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Greed or an opportunity? The only time you can block the liv / Saudi league on this basis is to block all Saudi based events which the bodies have not done to date.

You can’t expect athletes (loose term) to work by a separate set of rules as sanctioning bodies who are still prepared to host events there, it’s double standards

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Greed or an opportunity? The only time you can block the liv / Saudi league on this basis is to block all Saudi based events which the bodies have not done to date.

You can’t expect athletes (loose term) to work by a separate set of rules as sanctioning bodies who are still prepared to host events there, it’s double standards

Of course I can expect athletes to act according to their own set of ethics and morals, as I do with any individual person. Any person deciding to play on the Saudi Tour is essentially saying to their world that for enough money they do not care about supporting a country that routinely commits human rights abuses. This is greed pure and simple, especially as the likes of Westwood and Norman are already rich beyond most people's dreams, to support this regime which is what essentially sports washing does, legitimises are country's regime, for even more money beyond their already vast fortune is greed

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Of course I can expect athletes to act according to their own set of ethics and morals, as I do with any individual person. Any person deciding to play on the Saudi Tour is essentially saying to their world that for enough money they do not care about supporting a country that routinely commits human rights abuses. This is greed pure and simple, especially as the likes of Westwood and Norman are already rich beyond most people's dreams, to support this regime which is what essentially sports washing does, legitimises are country's regime, for even more money beyond their already vast fortune is greed

So on that merit, why are tours still hosting events in them regions and accepting sponsors alike?

Again I say how can we expect athletes to work on ethics if the sanctioning body’s do not lead by example?

For me the body’s need to set a standard and stand by it, in this case it should be “ we will not support, promote or issue a release to any events in the regions of X/Y/Y. Any release to events on these regions will come at the cost of a lifetime ban from both tours “

Others sports have done the same with Russia …

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
So on that merit, why are tours still hosting events in them regions and accepting sponsors alike?

Again I say how can we expect athletes to work on ethics if the sanctioning body’s do not lead by example?

For me the body’s need to set a standard and stand by it, in this case it should be “ we will not support, promote or issue a release to any events in the regions of X/Y/Y. Any release to events on these regions will come at the cost of a lifetime ban from both tours “

Others sports have done the same with Russia …

Because everyone has their own morals, to defer your morals to a governing body is the same argument as "I was just following orders" 2 wrongs don't make a right. I don't agree with organisations dealing with Saudi Arabia and other like countries, but every player has the ability to make a decision on whether to play or not. Lots of people refuse or resign in protest of decisions made by governments or companies, if enough golfers took a principled stand the tour organisers would stop going there

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree that everyone has their own morals, but the most powerful voice is a united one.

Should every player on tour refuse to play Saudi (and alike) events in protest? They can’t because they have sponsorship responsibilities to represent at all events.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The entire European Tour is sponsored by a company in a country that has sub-standard human rights, so any criticism of this new tour should also apply to the European Tour!
Oh and P&O is owned by the same company, so another reason to boycott them!
Mind you, a fair amount of London property, financial and commerce markets would suffer if that happened!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The entire European Tour is sponsored by a company in a country that has sub-standard human rights, so any criticism of this new tour should also apply to the European Tour!
Oh and P&O is owned by the same company, so another reason to boycott them!
Mind you, a fair amount of London property, financial and commerce markets would suffer if that happened!

This is exactly my point! Thank you.

The euro tour should not be sanctioning events in this region, it’s should be accepting sponsorship from this reason, and if people choose to play the LIV events they officially align themselves to LIV events only and accept the career ban from PGA events.

The sanctioning bodies have to be just as open to public criticism as the players.