LIV Golf

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I can understand Blandy going for it.
He's been around a long time and "only" won 7.6 million euro....which sounds a lot but when you add in tax, travel, caddy fees etc etc etc it doesn't leave a huge amount.
He's setting himself up for a happy retirement because he knows he hasn't got long left at the top table.
Westy I'm quite disappointed with...he's made his millions (approx £50 million from both Tours) he's still earning on the Tours..why does he want to risk the RC Captaincy?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Good for Westwood. He's fronted up to the questions put to him. Hopefully more follow suit and it gives the PGA and The DP World Tour a shake up.

We all know the Saudis do bad things to people - and we can all get principled about the source of the funding for the LIV tour, but we don't have to look very far to start questioning lots of other moral values throughout sport.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I can understand Blandy going for it.
He's been around a long time and "only" won 7.6 million euro....which sounds a lot but when you add in tax,...
Speaking of tax...
Latest WRX email has an article mentioning the tax Tiger pays....$65000.............per day!
Oh to be in such a position!:rolleyes:

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Aside from the prestige of being a RC captain what sort of figures do you think you could make in the space of say five years, before and after, a Ryder Cup captaincy? Obviously Westwood/Poulter's stock is pretty high already but what would you guess they could make for future projects eg course design, books, sponsorship, after dinners?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
They don't. The player becomes a pro and immediately earns more than he would on the Tours.
For how long though. It'll eventually (2-3 yrs?) become mainstream and there'll be selection/qualification - so only top guys will get in.
Still, a million or so a year for a few years will set players up nicely.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Is Westwood likely to be a captain? I think his is strange as he's still competitive on the two tours, more so on the DP obviously. Will the decision impact his ability to play on the PGA seniors tour which would seem to have been the more likely gravy train. Bland has found a new lease of life and did way at the recent matchplay event so can match it with the guys from the PGA tour. I can see why he'd want a few big pay day but while you're in the form of your life would you not want to ride that out and see where it takes you and jump aboard the Saudi pay days down the line?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
why does he want to risk the RC Captaincy?

Because it is a loss of nothing. Career wise it is worth nothing, despite the trumpeting of it at the time. The team effectively picks itself, and we could all book some celeb motivational speaker to gee them up before it, then drive around in a cart 'supporting' players and saying 'you can do it Rory. And bringing in our buddies as vice captains to make it a great weak and tee one uf them up for the job the next time. Moneywise it is , or was, something. And that has been the main interest in Ryder Cup captaincy - a sort of European Tour testimonial gig. But now they have no need for it - make multiples of that thanks to Saudi oil instead.

D

Deleted member 25172

Trying my best not to be provoked by people putting forward the “wouldn’t you change job if you made X amount more”-argument. Lee Westwood have made 38 million € on the DP Tour and 24 million $ on the PGA Tour. Add on another, what, 20 million $ in endorsement?

“What’s best for me”. He’s quite right. It is indeed what is best for him. This is what actual true greed look like. If you ask me.

Bloody disgusting. In this case quite literally bloody.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Trying my best not to be provoked by people putting forward the “wouldn’t you change job if you made X amount more”-argument. Lee Westwood have made 38 million € on the DP Tour and 24 million $ on the PGA Tour. Add on another, what, 20 million $ in endorsement?

“What’s best for me”. He’s quite right. It is indeed what is best for him. This is what actual true greed look like. If you ask me.

Bloody disgusting. In this case quite literally bloody.

He’s does make a valid point about being release by bodies to play Saudi events in the past with no objection.

This is not trolling by any means before that’s a thought, but do you hold the same level of disgust for anyone who has competed in a Saudi event? If it’s blood money we shouldn’t be holding and pro sport events there golf or otherwise.

D

Deleted member 25172

He’s does make a valid point about being release by bodies to play Saudi events in the past with no objection.

This is not trolling by any means before that’s a thought, but do you hold the same level of disgust for anyone who has competed in a Saudi event? If it’s blood money we shouldn’t be holding and pro sport events there golf or otherwise.

I agree. No sporting events should be held there. But to answer your other question. No, I don’t hold the same level of disgust for all people. I reserve it for those who have already made more money than any “normal” human would or will ever be able to and whose families are already set for life for generations to come.

And before anyone goes “what do you know about his/their private finances?”. Spare me.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
And now they seem to be inviting amateurs to play and get $140000 for coming last :unsure:
Is there a certain standard I, ahm they, need to have? I would spend £500 on golf balls, the rest is profit pre tax ;-)

Not following this much. Are they struggling to fill a field, or are they selling themselves as giving opportunities to people like us? We see in other tournaments that amateurs usually struggle. The last one I remember having a decent result was Bryson the year before turning pro.