LIV Golf

phillarrow

Visit site
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the impression Poulter gives is of the original Flash Boy.…pretty sure some Middle Eastern sunshine and a few millions to buy a gold Lamborghini and some jazzy trousers would be welcomed
He does come across like that but the Ryder Cup oozes from every pore of Poulter...I'd be amazed if he'd risk not getting the Captaincy

What he said! ?

I just think the Ryder Cup means more to Poulter than literally anything else in golf, including money.

I hope I'm right by the way because I'd love to see him win it as a captain... although the strength of American golf right now makes it a tougher task than it's been for many years and I wouldn't be surprised if we have a very lean spell over the next 10 - 20 years. ?

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
You would think, but making a load of easy money may be turning their heads. They might also think that it will all calm down in a couple of years and the bans will be revoked.

Luke Donald is an interesting case too. I think he has missed out on RC Captain (although could be back if Westwood and Poulter are out of the picture), he isn't really competitive on the PGA Tour now, so what does he do?

Well he, (and Poulter and Westwood), could do whatever was available before the Saudi dollars became available. One of the Seniors Tours perhaps, or ‘put something back into the game’ that has rewarded them so well. Let’s face it, none of them need the money to ‘put food on the table’, I suspect they are all wealthy enough not to worry about paying bills for the rest of their lives, a position 99.9% of the worlds population would relish. The terms ‘comfortable’ and ‘content’ appear not to be in the vocabulary of the rich.
Of course, if they get very bored, may I suggest they get their bank to bring their wealth round in one dollar bills, or pound coins, and they can spend a few days counting out just how rich they already are….

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It appears that the well known, multi-tournament winner( well, 1) and regular atop leaderboards....or not.....Robert Garrigus is the first PGA player to apply for permission to play the first of these events...
This is the quality of player they want..?
Good luck to them.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I thought the rhetoric had moved on - not who they want, but who they start with..

“Quite honestly, it doesn't matter who plays, we're going to put the event on,” Norman told the Telegraph.

“There's a $4 million first prize. I hope a kid who’s 350th in the world wins. It’ll change his life, his family’s life."

"And then a few of our events will go by and the top players will see someone winning $6 million, $8 million, and say, ‘Enough is enough, I know I can beat these guys week in, week out with my hands tied behind my back.’”

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I thought the rhetoric had moved on - not who they want, but who they start with..

“Quite honestly, it doesn't matter who plays, we're going to put the event on,” Norman told the Telegraph.

“There's a $4 million first prize. I hope a kid who’s 350th in the world wins. It’ll change his life, his family’s life."

"And then a few of our events will go by and the top players will see someone winning $6 million, $8 million, and say, ‘Enough is enough, I know I can beat these guys week in, week out with my hands tied behind my back.’”
I agree with Norman's comments. Though I think the PGA Tour will hold out in general. Some of the players on the cusp of retiring may be tempt for a last hurrah, or (other) ones no longer competitive - perhaps even like Mickelson - might go for it.
It'll be interesting to see how it pans out. I don't think PGA Tour's monopolistic attitude to 'competition' is a good one though.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
It appears that the well known, multi-tournament winner( well, 1) and regular atop leaderboards....or not.....Robert Garrigus is the first PGA player to apply for permission to play the first of these events...
This is the quality of player they want..?
Good luck to them.

I have played golf with Robert, just around the time he got his PGA Tour card. Lovely guy and can hit a long ball.

He is one of those players, of whom there are quite a few, who could have stepped up to another level and been a leaderboard regular, but it didn't quite happen for him, and he lost his card, got it back and so on. I am not surprised that he sees his career outside that ping-pong. Maybe a few years playing Saudi golf, rake in some dough and then retire to a club pro position somewhere nice? Can't blame the fella. He is in his early 40s, and chances of making a PGA Tour breakthrough now receding, not going to get any easy access to Champions Tour either.

And he is clearly not the quality of player they want, but as Norman says, when middle ranking PGA Tour players see some Korn Ferry Tour players pulling in some serious cash, may turn their heads too. I am no fan of the Saudi Tour, but it could work.

Last edited:

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
The real concern is that in normal business, if you have a competitor paying miles above market value for assets, then you hold out and be patient. Eventually the competitor will end up overspending, making losses, and then they'll probably run out of money and you'll win in the long run.

But here, the competitor is a government that is not engaging in this business to make money from the golf, but purely to try and make foreigners think less badly of their dreadful country. And it is a government with a huge amount of cash, that can outspend the PGA Tour for a very long time.

This is a real long game for Saudi Arabia. They know that in 40 years time (probably sooner), they will not be making money from oil and so they have to make changes. They've seen what has happened with UAE and tourism, and they want a piece of that pie. The golf league is just a small part of a long term plan - Newcastle, F1, ownership of other things like Twitter - Saudi Arabia trying to show the world that they're not a barbaric, backwards nation.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
The Telegraph says that 'a handful' of European players and a minimum of one American have submitted release applications – claims that up to six DP World Tour players have contacted Wentworth HQ seeking permission to sign up for the series.

Maybe they'll wheel Gary Player out to play in the first few!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Telegraph says that 'a handful' of European players and a minimum of one American have submitted release applications – claims that up to six DP World Tour players have contacted Wentworth HQ seeking permission to sign up for the series.

Maybe they'll wheel Gary Player out to play in the first few!

Any inside info on who the Euro players are? It might suit players in their 40s who have some profile but whose Euro Tour career is probably on the slide, Jamie Donaldson, for example.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Only what I've read so no. Poulter is the one that I can't get my head around but, then again, he's top to tail in advertising so probably wouldn't be that big a shock.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Pretty sure they just want anyone at the moment, I think their strategy is for someone like Robert Garrigus to walk away after 5 events $10M richer, and the Spieths and Thomas's of the world to figure out just how much they would like that sort of money for beating up on euro tour has beens....

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pretty sure they just want anyone at the moment, I think their strategy is for someone like Robert Garrigus to walk away after 5 events $10M richer, and the Spieths and Thomas's of the world to figure out just how much they would like that sort of money for beating up on euro tour has beens....
Pretty much the approach so it seems:

Norman hopes top players will see lesser lights cashing in and will then be swayed to give his project a go. "A few of our events will go by," he told the Telegraph.

"And the top players will see someone winning $6m, $8m and say 'enough is enough, I know I can beat these guys week in week out with my hands tied behind my back'."

It will definintely appeal to many towards the end of their career, those not really at the sharp end each week. Over time, others will follow. How many is to be seen but if it is effectively free money to better players then many will jump.