Just how do you 9-5'ers do it?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some sobering advice so far :D

I guess I'm going to have to find some sort of balance. I'm not really keen on reducing my family time too much, but they are 9 & 12 now so they do have a little bit of independence. My membership doesn't expire till June so I've plenty of time to work on it. I suppose that if I'm not playing enough then I'll have a horrible decision to make :(

On the plus side, I have a small business starting later in the year that might solve the problem (or make the decision for me).

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Love doing shift

2 days 7 till 7 then two nights 7-7 then four days off

Manage to get a round in all my days off plus at times inbetween my nights as well

Sometime it's a pain when you are working weekends but I get to play loads during the week

You'll not have as much 'free' time once the little one arrives. I know mine pretty much disappeared

Worth it though

Hallsy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Lack of free time is the main reason i joined a little 9 hole course close to myself. It has a driving range, putting green and practice bunker. Im on 50% membership so pay a small members fee and half green fees but can enter all comps and have a handicap. Also having a 7 year old whos very much into his football so even my sundays have gone now. Grabbing a chance to play is very difficult. Roll on summers evenings.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Live and work a mile from the course so during the summer can get up there for practice at lunchtime. A different story back in my service days though. 6 month deployments without even seeing a golf club. Even worse when away over the summer golf season.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Live and work a mile from the course so during the summer can get up there for practice at lunchtime. A different story back in my service days though. 6 month deployments without even seeing a golf club. Even worse when away over the summer golf season.
This ties in with the thread over reduced fees for people who can only play once a week and other people are getting conssesions.

For all the reasons stated this is why guys with young children leave the sport.

I worked shifts for 40yrs and played more then than I do now I have retired I lose interest if I play to much so am looking for a part time job to keep me off the course.

This is the polar opposite to most of the lads here.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't improve is probably the answer :rofl:

It's the reason I never practice tbh, any time I can make for golf outwith work and family I'd sooner play.

I play in the weekend comps when family commitments allow, tend to go either very early morning or late afternoon so I can have some family time that day and not feel like I've been out the house all day (I couldn't justify say a 10.30 tee off where I would be out of the house from about 10-4 on a weekend day very often really)

In the summer I tend to do the nighttime routine with the kids, homework/bath/bed etc then nip out for 9 holes. Have played the team matches the last couple of years but may be a push this year...... One of the big benefits I have is working at home so I get to see a lot more of the kids than I used to when commuting every day and I'm 5 minutes from the club. If and when I go back to that life I'd imagine my midweek golf will pretty much disappear.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't improve is probably the answer :rofl:

It's the reason I never practice tbh, any time I can make for golf outwith work and family I'd sooner play.

I play in the weekend comps when family commitments allow, tend to go either very early morning or late afternoon so I can have some family time that day and not feel like I've been out the house all day (I couldn't justify say a 10.30 tee off where I would be out of the house from about 10-4 on a weekend day very often really)

In the summer I tend to do the nighttime routine with the kids, homework/bath/bed etc then nip out for 9 holes. Have played the team matches the last couple of years but may be a push this year...... One of the big benefits I have is working at home so I get to see a lot more of the kids than I used to when commuting every day and I'm 5 minutes from the club. If and when I go back to that life I'd imagine my midweek golf will pretty much disappear.

That's my biggest fear mate. If I struggle to do midweek then it puts a lot of pressure on the weekends. Hal has her horses on Saturdays and Joel is playing football on Sundays. It's going to take some sacrifices to play. Most likely I'm worried over nothing as I've never experienced it before. Hopefully.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's my biggest fear mate. If I struggle to do midweek then it puts a lot of pressure on the weekends. Hal has her horses on Saturdays and Joel is playing football on Sundays. It's going to take some sacrifices to play. Most likely I'm worried over nothing as I've never experienced it before. Hopefully.

Yep is more a case of getting used to it, this year at weekends is going to be more tricky for me as the girls are getting older and have more of their own interests so time is even more at a premium......

Re your point about membership etc, one of the things it's made me realise is that being a member is a bigger benefit with limited time (albeit probably not so cost effective) as I can just go out for 5/6 holes in the summer so at least I am getting a bit of golf in. If I was a nomad I would play far less midweek golf as finding the time for 18 is a challenge. Plus if I can't play the comp I can go out Saturday/Sunday evening for a knock.

Balance rather than sacrifice is the way I look at it :) I make sure my Mrs goes away on as many nights out/weekends away with her mates as she can, means that I can get away with going on a NW weekend away etc.

You probably just need to look at it a bit (lot) differently than you have done previously being on shifts for so long.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I could not have played golf when I worked I would just not have had any time.

My club has recently introduced twilight membership to try and attract members who can only play evenings.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Officially, I'm 8:30 till 4:15. Realistically I am often in the office at 6/7am for calls , and it's a regular occurance to have to attend meetings with my US colleagues in the evenings. I also have to give up a lot of personal time to travel. I plan my golf and family life around this , so , if I need to take an hour back here and there, my boss is very accommodating. He's a good boss and says "just give a little more than you take ". I'm fine with that.

How set in stone are your hours? I know you have put in some graft the last few years, would the company let you take a bit of time back ??

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lots of 9 hole midweek rounds, only an hour and half, my Mrs is more happy if I'm away 2-3 nights midweek for 9 holes than playing 18 holes. I'm lucky that my midweek games at home tend to be with my boy so win win there as far as spending time with him.

On the brightside, an opportunity to play in every weekend comp, your handicap will always be 100% accurate.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You must be getting better paid on your promotion though and wanted to do it though.
Im 8-4.30, I'm very lucky my course work and house are all within a square mile of each other. I get pretty much zero golf in during winter, even the weekend because playing on winter tees and greens is of no interest to me. So during winter I tend to work as much overtime as I can. Then from may-September I work no overtime and golf as much as I can.
I can be out work at 4.30, play 18 and be back in the house for 8.30/9.

U

User62651

My employers are great on flexi time, as long as i get my hours total in the week day to day is up to me, club is also only a half mile from office so can get to the practice area for a little practice at lunch if I wish, when you're normally deskbound at work getting moving for a half hour at lunch out of the office is a good thing both physically and mentally imo.
My membership is pretty cheap otherwise I wouldn't join as I wouldn't get value for money.
First year in a club since 2011 for me and my Mrs is genuinely keen for me to join as I have no outlet presently beyond work and family and some 'me time' is important for everyone as long as its in balance. I don't expect to play too much this year but hoping I can fit in some weekly comps and medals just by using flexi time. Just happy and a little excited to be hitting balls again after a long hiatus from the game.
What would be really ideal is getting all the family involved, wife is showing some interest and sure boys will have a go too, £20/yr for u-13s seems a great deal. Would be nice to enjoy golf without any of the usual guilt.

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
In summer mid week I can't get to course till 7ish so just practice/play few holes

Weekend I just play odd weekends.
To be honest might be my last year as a member of a club

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
9-5 is rubbish for golf but great for family time... Que sera.

There's no magic answer I've found but taking your opportunities is key. Putting on the carpet, 20 min sessions at the range, get to the course early to practice short game beforehand etc. It's a bit sad but what do you do? You can still learn stuff this way but the one major problem is being course fit - I play usually once a week but sometimes every other one and just remembering what you were working on or need to be doing is a pain in the backside. Drives me a bit mad but it's better than some I suppose...

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I rarely do 18 holes midweek but I usually play twice from about 5pm straight from work and just do 7 or 9 holes, tbh I could probably do 18 but I'm fine with 9 after a day at work.
Usually just the one comp round late afternoon at weekend.
As Val says Danny... How about a club on the way home, I'd imagine Driving past home to get to your current club would be a pain.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
In Germany we say: your handicap is directly proportional to how many hours you work in the week. It's kind of true, I guess.

I work a 9-5 as well, but I have no family waiting at home, so I am free to go to the course on weekends as much as I like. Also, I get off at 3.30 pm on Fridays and normally go to the course after work to get a bit of practice or a quick nine holes in (which works from about now to the end of October ... during the rest of the time it is too dark to do that). Starting with daylight saving time at the end of March I can also go to the course directly after work during the rest of the week to get at least a little bit of practice in before it gets too dark.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some good advice so far. Don't really want to move Club as I like my current one and it's only 5 minutes from my door. I can use Prairie Sports Village after work for a quick hour. I guess I'll just have to see how much it affects my family time. Like all good things, if it's worth it you can make it work 👍