Have YouTubers helped you?

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Has anyone found that they’ve been able to successfully implement tips from YouTube golf pro’s?

I haven’t had a physical lesson for a couple of years now, partly because it’s hard to fit in lessons, playing and work, but I do enjoy watching YT’ers in all formats, be it getting out of bunkers, how to break 100, or just watching them play a round on some beautiful course in Portugal.

I‘ve come to the conclusion that they don’t help me personally. I‘m getting worse (scorecard doesn’t lie), which is affecting my enjoyment. I‘m going to book some lessons now. I’m aware that age may also be a contributory factor and that I can’t fit in many rounds, so don’t get lots of practice, but I’m hoping some tuition is the way forward.

I‘d be very interested to hear if anyone has had positive experiences with YT’ers.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’d say I’ve taken bits from them which have helped.

It was a Rick shiels video on chipping which transformed that part of my game. Nothing revolutionary, it just clicked and made sense to me and so I gave it a go and have been using it ever since. It was about scabby lies and standing closer to the ball to stop the heel catching the ground.

Also a chap called Alex Elliot. He’s largely annoying, but I was going through an awful spell with driver so was desperate to try anything. It was the one about setting the club a few inches behind the ball at address to help you hit up on it. Worked a treat for me and I still do it…until that stops working of course!

Finally, I struggle to read greens, for some reason I can’t see the break. One called ‘mr short game’ did a video on plumb bobbing. Old fashioned I know and it has its limitations, but it definitely helped me and have we the confidence to see the break.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I read books from my local library between the ages of 12 to 14.
Authors such as Max Faulkner, John Jacobs, Tommy Armour etc. What to do and what to avoid doing.
Then I learnt by doing; emulating other good players that I observed and/or played with.
By 16 I had a handicap of 5.
Never had a lesson.
Youtube videos are entertainment and amusement only.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The biggest problem with YT instructional videos is that they're not talking to you about your swing - they're talking to everyone who watches.
Are you all doing the same thing incorrectly?
Some will be doing X, some Y and a few Z.....
You're trying to copy a move or a tweak that might make your game worse because nobody is watching what you're doing and whether you're doing it right.

Albo

Visit site
The biggest problem with YT instructional videos is that they're not talking to you about your swing - they're talking to everyone who watches.
Are you all doing the same thing incorrectly?
Some will be doing X, some Y and a few Z.....
You're trying to copy a move or a tweak that might make your game worse because nobody is watching what you're doing and whether you're doing it right.
Exactly this. There will be some things that work for some people and I think if you’re new to golf things like the fundamentals would work well as a YT video, but to fix flaws in your swing, I think you’re very much open to possibilities of making things worse due to adding a different move to an existing fault, we all swing the club differently so there is no single fix for a slice for example. Yes fundamentally you need to get your path in to out more and your club face closed more, but how much and which one more or less so is very individual, plus what’s causing the face or path is a different thing all together, it could be swinging over the top, but what causes that, it could be being high on your back swing, but what causes that, it could be your takeaway etc etc etc. it’s too broad.

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
Learned a lot from Rob Cheney (wrist hinge) , Malaska (love L to L drill) and Monty Scheinblum’s appearances on Be Better Golf. Not so much from the big names although I really enjoy Danny Maude’s channel.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes and no. I do watch bits and if I can relate to it I might give it a go. That's probably less than 5% of it though. And if I try it and it doesn't work it goes straight in the bin rather than persisting for weeks on end.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
During the first lockdown I got bored and watched some videos by Tom Saguto.
He basically seems to preach some variant of stack & tilt.
It seemed to make sense, and I tried it out in the back garden with foam balls.
"Hey, this works great!".
Lockdown ended, and I deployed my new swing.
After one and a half rounds it was obvious that it didn't work.

The other thing that gets me is when they are doing chipping and bunker tips, they are always playing from nice lush grass and lovely sand.
I'd like to see them try it from the tight muddy lies and hard packed bunkers we have to contend with in the real world.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
I was expecting a flat NO, but obviously it‘s a bit more nuanced than that. Some people have taken some positives from YT’ers, which is good.

I’m going to book a package of lessons tomorrow, covering six individual elements (set up, putting etc) followed by a two hour on course lesson.

I‘ve gone backwards, so I’m hopeful this will help.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A definite yes.
The worthwhile ones for me have been :

Mark Crossfield
Be Better Golf
Athletic Motion Golf
Dr Kwon

As a group, for a generally coherent amalgam view on current swing thought rather than as a pick up for tips and quick fixes.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I would say a definite yes.

Lots taken from different channels, a lot on short game more than anything as I think that's an area where there's not much variance in technique.

Also, a big part on mental side of the game and course management.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There's barely a video on YouTube I haven't watched. Learnt loads from it.
Tried loads of things I'd never have thought of myself.
Some things stick, some you forget.
100% contributed to the golfer I am today.
I'll never win the open but handy at club level. I can live with that. 😀

Jason.H

Visit site
I’ve gained a lot in terms of short game with dangrieve golf on Instagram just watching him give lessons so it’s free. It’s basically given me a well rounded short game so no matter the situation/lie there’s a technique for it. Before I was just laying up to 80 to 100 yards which works to a degree but i felt would limit my progress. Now I go for par 5,s in 2 and can be confident around the greens.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yeah I've found a few nuggets of info that've helped.
I tend to stick to just a couple of pro's, partly because I think too many opinions/views would be counterproductive, but mostly because a great many YT pros lack the fundamental presenting skills when they get in front of a camera, so its just painful to watch them

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
It was a Rick shiels video on chipping which transformed that part of my game. Nothing revolutionary, it just clicked and made sense to me and so I gave it a go and have been using it ever since. It was about scabby lies and standing closer to the ball to stop the heel catching the ground......

That's quite amusing given that he's probably one of the worst chippers on youtube :LOL::p

Not suggesting he hasn't helped by the way, he just is so bad at chipping in his videos that he resorts to the putter wherever possible when playing his own game.

To the OP, Dan Grieve vids have been pretty useful

sjw

Visit site
That's quite amusing given that he's probably one of the worst chippers on youtube :LOL::p

Not suggesting he hasn't helped by the way, he just is so bad at chipping in his videos that he resorts to the putter wherever possible when playing his own game.

To the OP, Dan Grieve vids have been pretty useful
Also funny because Rick recently had a lesson with Dan Grieve who basically told him to stop doing what he currently does :LOL: