Tour Rookie
Visit site
A definite yes.
The worthwhile ones for me have been :

Mark Crossfield
Be Better Golf
Athletic Motion Golf
Dr Kwon

As a group, for a generally coherent amalgam view on current swing thought rather than as a pick up for tips and quick fixes.
This is a good list. I've certainly enjoyed plenty of tube golf.
I'm sure lessons with a decent pro are a faster way to better golf, but tubers can help too. Two things can be true.
Filming your own swing is also a key component in both approaches imho. Though I dont particularly enjoy it.

simsini

Visit site
I just watch YouTube to see people having fun on the course, such as Tubes & Ange. I don't watch instructional videos as they are not specific to me.

Springveldt

Visit site
I think a few definitely have help me over the years. I remember watching a Crossfield video about wrist angles a few years ago and how that controls the clubface and it was a bit of a lightbulb moment for me at the time. I also remember a Mike Malaska video about not trying to rotate your hips but instead feel like you are pulling them backwards as it still rotates your hips but keeps your weight more centred. That one definitely helped me stop swaying off the ball.

Crossfield's newer content over the last couple of years or so about pushing off with the left foot to get more distance and that nearly all amateurs don't do it early enough is interesting. The guys off the Chasing Scratch podcast put a video up from a session at TPI and the head trainer there had one of them working on exactly that using a rolling stool to push himself across a room with his left foot only.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
This is a good list. I've certainly enjoyed plenty of tube golf.
I'm sure lessons with a decent pro are a faster way to better golf, but tubers can help too. Two things can be true.
Filming your own swing is also a key component in both approaches imho. Though I dont particularly enjoy it.

I'm really hopeful (or desperate, take your pick) for lessons, because my scores are getting worse but my good iron strikes are more frequent. I hit far fewer thick or thin irons off the tee or fairway, but I'm not keeping nearly enough on the track. So therefore, losing balls and shots.

I used to have lessons with a guy I really liked, but I didn't think his focus was always on the lesson. He'd set me up, then I'd hit a dozen or so whilst he dealt with something else. I'm hoping for something a bit shorter and more intense, so going to try a different pro. Fingers crossed.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That's quite amusing given that he's probably one of the worst chippers on youtube :LOL::p

Not suggesting he hasn't helped by the way, he just is so bad at chipping in his videos that he resorts to the putter wherever possible when playing his own game.

To the OP, Dan Grieve vids have been pretty useful
Very true! This was about 3 years ago, possibly pre-yips!

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Some are entertaining, so are awful. But that's true of most things.

I like the Dan Henriksen course reviews, I can't be doing with much of the instructional stuff. I switch off the knob with the glasses and his mates with the man-buns. :cool:

Yes I enjoy the DH and Crossfield course reviews, but just because it looks like a lovely day out with your mates.

I watched a 27 minute video from Crossfield and Lockey the other day about how to break 100. I had big hopes that this would be some fairly easy to implement pointers that had passed me by. Basically though it was just about keeping the ball in play (which I’d like to comply with if I could hit it straight) and don’t three putt (ditto), so it wasn’t as enlightening as I’d hoped.

sjw

Visit site
Is Danny Maude actually good? His content always seems good (just from watching, not trying) but the comments are always gushing with praise and read as if they're bot comments.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
If an instructional video on YT helps you then it's by luck. The coach cannot know what is wrong with YOUR swing so the advice is generic. It might fix your problem, but it might not. I got lucky with one of Rick Shiels' bunker tips, it really helped me.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I read books from my local library between the ages of 12 to 14.
Authors such as Max Faulkner, John Jacobs, Tommy Armour etc. What to do and what to avoid doing.
Then I learnt by doing; emulating other good players that I observed and/or played with.
By 16 I had a handicap of 5.
Never had a lesson.
Youtube videos are entertainment and amusement only.
Why is generic instruction in a book acceptable information, but generic instruction on a YouTube video is just entertainment? They are both impersonal and, if they work, it's by luck rather than design.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If an instructional video on YT helps you then it's by luck. The coach cannot know what is wrong with YOUR swing so the advice is generic. It might fix your problem, but it might not. I got lucky with one of Rick Shiels' bunker tips, it really helped me.

Not really true. You click on a specific video because you are struggling with a certain aspect of the game.
The video usually explains "why or how" a certain problem exists. Let's say a slice for example.
The video will then take you through a few differnt ways to stop the slice.
Granted its maybe not exactly what a player needs but it won't be a million miles off.

There are videos there for every level of player from simple tips from the likes of Rick shiels to more advanced stuff like porzak golf.

It also helps immensely if the viewer has a good understanding of what he is watching and works at it on the range. Watching one clip once and taking it the course in a medal is doomed to fail and its where these "youtube videos are crap" come from.

Youtube is an immense source of golfing knowledge. You can get tips from the world's best players and coaches.Thee Tiger Woods can give you a tip on chipping and you can watch it on repeat.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Not really true. You click on a specific video because you are struggling with a certain aspect of the game.
The video usually explains "why or how" a certain problem exists. Let's say a slice for example.
The video will then take you through a few differnt ways to stop the slice.
Granted its maybe not exactly what a player needs but it won't be a million miles off.

There are videos there for every level of player from simple tips from the likes of Rick shiels to more advanced stuff like porzak golf.

It also helps immensely if the viewer has a good understanding of what he is watching and works at it on the range. Watching one clip once and taking it the course in a medal is doomed to fail and its where these "youtube videos are crap" come from.

Youtube is an immense source of golfing knowledge. You can get tips from the world's best players and coaches.Thee Tiger Woods can give you a tip on chipping and you can watch it on repeat.
There are probably twenty different things that could be causing a slice. For each of those twenty problems there are multiple fixes based on the player's abililty, flexibility, body shape, etc. etc. That gives hundreds of potential solutions. A coach will narrow it down to the one that's right for you, a video won't.

Springveldt

Visit site
There are probably twenty different things that could be causing a slice. For each of those twenty problems there are multiple fixes based on the player's abililty, flexibility, body shape, etc. etc. That gives hundreds of potential solutions. A coach will narrow it down to the one that's right for you, a video won't.
Actually there is only 1, your clubface is excessively open to your club path.

/pedant mode off

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

We have to agree to disagree. Its really not as complicated as that. Coaches the world over have to give the same bread and butter lesson day in, day out when it comes to fixing a slice.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
We have to agree to disagree. Its really not as complicated as that. Coaches the world over have to give the same bread and butter lesson day in, day out when it comes to fixing a slice.
Surely you are not claiming there that there is only one way to hit a golf ball. Everyone is different. There's even a huge amount of variance amongst professionals, let alone the millions of handicap golfers. Don't get me wrong, I've had help from YouTube videos, but it's luck that the fix described was exactly what I needed.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Why is generic instruction in a book acceptable information, but generic instruction on a YouTube video is just entertainment? They are both impersonal and, if they work, it's by luck rather than design.
Because the OP asked for our personal experience and I gave mine.
Since the invention of YouTube, I have not gained anything from it in terms of golf instruction.
I had been playing golf for a long time prior to YouTube and taken on board a lot of golf instruction and tips.

Many others will have had a very different experience, I'm sure.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Surely you are not claiming there that there is only one way to hit a golf ball. Everyone is different. There's even a huge amount of variance amongst professionals, let alone the millions of handicap golfers. Don't get me wrong, I've had help from YouTube videos, but it's luck that the fix described was exactly what I needed.

My point above still rings true. If the viewer has a good understanding of what he is looking at. He can take a video of his own swing and see the fault. The fault and multiple fixes are available online.

I'm sure the more advanced the player is the more benefit he can gain from seeking professional help.

Likewise if a player is completely clueless they could also benefit from professional help.

The vast majority of the time, if you are slicing for example , you are likely making similar movements to a million other people and the fixes are often very similar.

Granted if someone's in a serious mess. Professional help is the way to go. The pro will go back to basics which funny enough, can be found online and this discussion starts again. 😀 haha