Just how do you 9-5'ers do it?

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Easy! Get a job that pays handsomely while offering flexi-time, don't have kids and make it obvious to everyone that golf is the priority. Encourage the Mrs to have a social life and keep telling her to go enjoy herself. If all else fails 'meetings' can free up time. I'm currently praying that this philosophy continues to work.

Alternatively my mate recently split up with his Mrs. His golf has never been so good....

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Alternatively my mate recently split up with his Mrs. His golf has never been so good....

I bet he can just go out and buy clubs now when he wants to. No hiding new gear in the garage or having to come up with lame excuses for why he needs a new shiny. Because he wants it being the correct answer, ha ha.

There was a bloke at my old club who's h/c dropped like a stone one year, good golfer he was. He was in my 4 ball one time and I mentioned to another pp how well he was playing. The bloke just nodded sagely and told me he had split with his wife at the beginning of the season. No more needed to be said.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have played 9 holes before work before and really enjoyed it, but having to now leave at 6.30 each morning it's not possible anymore. It just leaves golf and practice after work. Not always ideal but I still seem to be there most evenings!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I accept that I can't play during the week other than in the evenings - it's what most of us are stuck with - and in evenings I usually knock a couple of balls round by myself.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just done a quick timetable and my week looks like this....
Monday = Goalkeeper training with the boy and brownies with the girl.
Tuesday = Assistant coach duties for the boys team.
Wednesday = free time
Thursday = Wife's yoga and HIIT class
Friday = free time
Saturday = Horses with the girl and Spin class at the gym.
Sunday = Game day/Assistant coach duties for the boys team.

To fit into that is 3 x Gym sessions, 7 x 1hr dog walks, Wifey time & a social life. I never thought I'd miss shift work 😂

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
The the dog out in the morning sorted!

I work 0840-1530 in school so can claw some rounds back in the holidays. I didn't make the most of the evenings last season and aiming not to make the same mistake this year. My eldest goes to air cadets on a Monday and Thursday so I'm planning on using those 2.5 hours each night for nine holes and practice. Throw in rainbows and swimming for the youngest plus 2 dogs and time for the wife and family it gets tricky! I play every Saturday morning and get back for lunch just as the youngest finishes dancing class.

Lambchops

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a little lad of 2 so midweek golf is out for me - last year I played 1 round a weekend be it a comp on a Sat or just out with my mate first tee time on a Sunday morning so I was home for 11.30. Just had a little girl a couple of weeks ago so I think I'll struggle to even get out that much this year

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm technically 9-5! but luckily I'm an agile plus worker. Meaning I can work the hours when I need to within the week luckily.
To be honest - I've always done my practice during the week - so in the winter that'd be the range and summer up the course. But I'm lucky to work not far from home and home isn't far from the club.

Have a look for a driving range that may pass nearby on your way too or from work?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is, in my opinion, why many clubs struggle to attract members in the 30-45 year old age bracket. Least available time with work and family commitments but the highest cost per round average as there is normally only chance to play once a week. Compare that with seniors and juniors who have the most available time but often a lower membership cost and you can see why membership to them is a more attractive prospect and why seniors make up such a large part of many clubs.
Agree mostly I am now in the seniors but paid my dues for forty years while I was working and was in the same boat as working lads now.
Seniors don't just appear when they finish working , most have been members for a very long time.
As for juniors they will be the ones paying full fees when the 35/40 yr olds are going into the seniors.
my fees are the same as everyone else only concession is over 75s if a member for 25yrs

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
This is, in my opinion, why many clubs struggle to attract members in the 30-45 year old age bracket. Least available time with work and family commitments but the highest cost per round average as there is normally only chance to play once a week. Compare that with seniors and juniors who have the most available time but often a lower membership cost and you can see why membership to them is a more attractive prospect and why seniors make up such a large part of many clubs.

Our seniors pay exactly the same and we have closed 5 day membership - in fact I believe that we will no longer be offering reduced cost 5 day membership.

And I feel no resentment to seniors; self-employed; unemployed, and lucky others who can play every day. I join a golf club and pay my subs knowing full well my time restrictions on when I can play - that is my choice.

That others are in a position to choose to play every day if they want is not actually any of my business - I am pleased for them and look forward to the day that I can do the same.

Last edited:

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I've only ever worked a 9-5 job (or 8:30-6pm to be exact). Add an extra hour (hour and a half) each way for travel and the day 12 hours long from leaving my house to getting home. There's no chance of golf after work.

So I used to play every weekend (just about) before we had kids. But that's changed now so I play golf irregularly.

I think the only way it could work would be if you keep clubs in the boot of your car and commute past a course. And even then you are only really going to get 9 holes in or a trip to the range.

To fit around family life; play golf on the weekend but tee off first thing. So you can be back home before 11 and can then have a good amount of time with the family.
Or go on golf holidays so you can squeeze in a round or two.

Please share if you find a better way of managing all this with a 9-5.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've only ever worked a 9-5 job (or 8:30-6pm to be exact). Add an extra hour (hour and a half) each way for travel and the day 12 hours long from leaving my house to getting home. There's no chance of golf after work.

So I used to play every weekend (just about) before we had kids. But that's changed now so I play golf irregularly.

I think the only way it could work would be if you keep clubs in the boot of your car and commute past a course. And even then you are only really going to get 9 holes in or a trip to the range.

To fit around family life; play golf on the weekend but tee off first thing. So you can be back home before 11 and can then have a good amount of time with the family.
Or go on golf holidays so you can squeeze in a round or two.

Please share if you find a better way of managing all this with a 9-5.

I'm very much in the same boat as you are. My commute is by train so no realistic possibility of golf (or even driving range) pre, during or post work.

Since the arrival of my son playing at the weekend is dificult, so I play sporadically at best.

I do try to work from home once a week, and if I manage that, I also try to squeeze in a lunchtime driving range trip, but that is very much dependent on work commitments and is the first thing to go!