I can’t hit my driver now

G1z1

Visit site
I hit my driver on 9 different holes today and 4 down the middle that I would call good drives but still very low and the other 5 drives very bad but surprisingly they all went low and right today lol so I’m doing something different last few days it’s constantly been low and left. Just really struggling to hit up on the ball.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hit my driver on 9 different holes today and 4 down the middle that I would call good drives but still very low and the other 5 drives very bad but surprisingly they all went low and right today lol so I’m doing something different last few days it’s constantly been low and left. Just really struggling to hit up on the ball.
What tees do you use? Have you tried teeing a little higher for a round and seeing if that makes a difference?

G1z1

Visit site
What tees do you use? Have you tried teeing a little higher for a round and seeing if that makes a difference?
I use the pink ones I did try the orange but that was a long time ago. That’s a good shout I’ll try that tomorrow and see how it goes.

G1z1

Visit site
I've got one of them. They're okay to stretch your muscles before a round and can help if you have a tendency to 'slip' over time with regards to your grip, but they wouldn't work for a baseball grip.
Mines arrived today, I can use it with baseball grip so that’s good and I noticed right away how it forces you to rotate your arms on the follow through. I must not rotate much because I can really feel it with the training aid.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Maybe shuffle it forward a tiny bit to try and encourage an upward AoA

TigerBear

Visit site
Just finished my lesson. It’s wasn’t a easy fix and I’ll really need to work hard to fix it. Basically I’m really good at compressing my irons and it’s followed over to my driver swing. My attack angle I’m hitting down on the driver now, I have always had a low ball flight with the driver and 3 wood and was getting away with it before but now it’s just kind of came to a head. He did also pick up on my grip it was trying to go strong and he noticed on the driver I would take a while to hit the ball because I was kind of fighting with my grip. Also the strong grip was making me close the face so it was going low and left. He has shown me a few things to work on I now need to put the work in. It’s always something with this golf lol just when I think I’m really starting to get decent.

So infuriating, I've been there of sorts but different problems with the driver as mine is more a bad push cut. When that creeps in I drop to a 3i off the tee, as I've got the same issue with 3w off the tee.

You've done the best thing when these wee anomalies start to appear to get it properly looked at by a pro so you understand exactly why it's happening.

Out of interest who are you getting lessons from?

G1z1

Visit site
So infuriating, I've been there of sorts but different problems with the driver as mine is more a bad push cut. When that creeps in I drop to a 3i off the tee, as I've got the same issue with 3w off the tee.

You've done the best thing when these wee anomalies start to appear to get it properly looked at by a pro so you understand exactly why it's happening.

Out of interest who are you getting lessons from?
I get a weekly lesson at cowglen with Simon and I get one a month at rowallan from Ross.

G1z1

Visit site
Nice one mate. If you don't mind me asking, what's the reasoning with the two different coaches?
Think I just like a second opinion on my game really, because I play golf everyday I find bad habits can creep in quite fast so I feel as if I need regularly lessons until I get to a good level and consistent and I’m of the opinion two eyes are better than one.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I get a weekly lesson at cowglen with Simon and I get one a month at rowallan from Ross.

I would think you are over complicating it. Coaches see different things and so one may be fixing something that the other coach is happy with. I would stick to one. Mine is receptive to me sending videos or texts if things aren't going well between lessons and will give me a 5 minute "quick look" if he sees me at the range. One coach, one teaching method and keep it simple

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When I've had that problem it's been due to allowing my head to get forward so that I catch the ball low on the face with a steep out to in swing that pulls it low and left. Keeping my head back at impact with the driver fixes it. Try it.

G1z1

Visit site
Might have to bin the both of them and get a new pro after tonight. So had a lesson with both last week and both were trying to get me to hit up on the ball but it just wasn’t working. So seen a YouTube video today showing tee the ball up higher and instead of the club laying on the ground that I usually do hover it off the ground. Now I don’t know if I just got lucky tonight but I was hitting The best drives I’ve ever hit tonight and most were lazer straight. What would be the pros and cons of hovering a driver off the ground ? I did play with a guy last summer who did this and I remember thinking it looked awkward to do but I found it easy. Probably hit 10 drives tonight and 7/8 were really good compared to last week I was maybe getting away with 2 out of 10

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Might have to bin the both of them and get a new pro after tonight. So had a lesson with both last week and both were trying to get me to hit up on the ball but it just wasn’t working. So seen a YouTube video today showing tee the ball up higher and instead of the club laying on the ground that I usually do hover it off the ground. Now I don’t know if I just got lucky tonight but I was hitting The best drives I’ve ever hit tonight and most were lazer straight. What would be the pros and cons of hovering a driver off the ground ? I did play with a guy last summer who did this and I remember thinking it looked awkward to do but I found it easy. Probably hit 10 drives tonight and 7/8 were really good compared to last week I was maybe getting away with 2 out of 10

Not sure, but Bryson hovers I believe

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

You know your game but I really wouldn't be relying on Youtube as there are so many rabbit holes you can go down and one fix you find will compromise other parts of the swing. Unless both pros are really poor in terms of communication or giving feedback I would be reluctant to bin both. I'd definitely drop one and keep the other so you have consistency

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If I had got my performance from a 42 handicap to something close to single figures, looking at the signature and the recent scores in a little over a year I am not sure I would be wanting to change instructors because of a few struggles with driving.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you want to hit the ball higher....
Tee it up higher
Position it opposite your big toe of your front foot.
Then, during the downswing, get the feeling of the clubhead swinging passed your chest while you stay centred.

G1z1

Visit site
If I had got my performance from a 42 handicap to something close to single figures, looking at the signature and the recent scores in a little over a year I am not sure I would be wanting to change instructors because of a few struggles with driving.
I’ve only been using they two pros the last 5/6 weeks and before then I had already broke 80 a few times. Don’t get me wrong they are improving me and getting me more consistent with my irons but I always found whoever pro ive used has struggled to get me hitting the driver good and consistent.
Reason my handicap was 42 was 18 months ago I had never played golf ever. Got a few lessons and a membership and put 3 cards in pretty much at the start. Got 42 handicap worked on my game for maybe another 3 months and played my first comp won that and got cut to 24 and not put a card in since. I would say I was playing to around 12 before going to the new pros and might still be that when they take away the winter tees. My 5 iron won’t be as good when the real tees are back on so need to get that driver sorted soon.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve only been using they two pros the last 5/6 weeks and before then I had already broke 80 a few times. Don’t get me wrong they are improving me and getting me more consistent with my irons but I always found whoever pro ive used has struggled to get me hitting the driver good and consistent.
Reason my handicap was 42 was 18 months ago I had never played golf ever. Got a few lessons and a membership and put 3 cards in pretty much at the start. Got 42 handicap worked on my game for maybe another 3 months and played my first comp won that and got cut to 24 and not put a card in since. I would say I was playing to around 12 before going to the new pros and might still be that when they take away the winter tees. My 5 iron won’t be as good when the real tees are back on so need to get that driver sorted soon.
Bit in bold, can you - hand on heart, say you are spending enough time practicing what you have told to do with your driver?