Just how do you 9-5'ers do it?

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
. maybe we can have a look at a few local weekend opens and us NW motley crew book in on a few to catch up in between the bigger meets!

Sounds good to me Karl. We should see what's on offer, Maybe a Sunday in March,
Breakfast before, Maybe some Eggs Benedict in a dodgy Weatherspoons somewhere. Let's get it on.. :thup:

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I did it for almost 40 years & it was crap. In the winter I could go weeks without a game when the weather was poor each weekend. If I had my life over I would look for something where I could work mornings & evenings. Ideally, marry a single figure nymphomaniac, had no kids or pets, live in a small apartment, work part time d& retire at 50. Too late now!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did it for almost 40 years & it was crap. In the winter I could go weeks without a game when the weather was poor each weekend. If I had my life over I would look for something where I could work mornings & evenings. Ideally, marry a single figure nymphomaniac, had no kids or pets, live in a small apartment, work part time d& retire at 50. Too late now!

Well I've failed on all those targets 😂

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I work 9-5.30 every day but have no kids. In the summer I try and get 9 holes in after work but not always possible. Also used to get frustrated as was often stuck behind summer knockout cup matches so 9 holes often became 4 or 5.

I get to play once most weekends and sometimes twice if I do not push it and do it too often. I try and play as early as possible at weekends so as I have the rest of the day to spend with my wife. Some call me a car park golfer, I just think I have the right priorities.

During winter I found myself praying a on the weather as a bad day can mean no golf for that week.

Did I get value out of my membership, not sure is the answer. Currently have no membership and deciding another full membership or joining a 9 hole course and playing other courses on invites or in opens.

kmdmr1

Head Pro
Visit site
I worked 9-5pm,no weekends for 15 years, and played plenty of golf,
Got offered the the chance of a 3 shift pattern,6-2pm-2-10pm,10-6am and thought I would play more golf, yes, was good for that early morning tee off when on afternoons,good for that late afternoon tee off when on nights,although I didnt fancy 8hrs once starting a monthly midweek medal, Was so tired working shifts that golf became weekends only, now back working 8am-4pm and looking forward to this coming season,

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I work flexi time so I thought I'd get at least 9 holes in once a week - finish at 3, nip up to the club and be on the 1st at 3.45, finish the round about 5/5.15 and be home around 5.45 before the wife and kids get in - I've managed that once since last March!! Always seems to be something that gets in the way and I never manage to do it. I've just learnt that it's Sat morning's and that's that with the occassional Rabbits match on a Thursday - obviously with the bosses permission.

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
Once the longer daylight hours come in, get up early and put 9 holes in before work a couple of times per week.

I usually do this at least twice a week, play the midweek medal after work and get out over the weekend if there's a comp on.

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
Never done this before but might try it this summer, assuming I'm still in the same job and working at home.........

We're lucky enough in that our course is laid out as two loops of nine. I can be on the first tee for 0615, play nine holes in around 90 minutes with 2 balls in play and be in the office for half-8ish, traffic dependant. Certainly wakes you up, but the temptation to do 18 can be strong if a score is on.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
We're lucky enough in that our course is laid out as two loops of nine. I can be on the first tee for 0615, play nine holes in around 90 minutes with 2 balls in play and be in the office for half-8ish, traffic dependant. Certainly wakes you up, but the temptation to do 18 can be strong if a score is on.

Ours is 2 loops aswell, both ending up in front of the clubhouse so should be do-able..... Just never really thought about it before! I could probably do 9 holes in an hour or so then back to get the kids up and out the door for school.... :thup:

PaulyMcK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My working hours are 8am - 5pm, so for the past few months I have been only able to play golf on a Saturday (The girlfriend doesn't let me play on a Sunday :eek:) and I also go to the Driving range on a Thursday night.

For the next couple of months, I'm trying to work out a schedule were I can golf for at least 9 holes both on Wednesday and Thursday's whilst also going to the gym 3 times a week. I might need to move the Driving Range to a different night, like a Friday but I'm sure I can work something out. I have already golfed more this year than I did for the full year last year and have just recently moved to a golf course that is about 1 mile away from me. Just need to balance everything out and also keep the GF happy too.

I can't wait for the lighter nights to kick in. As soon as the Sun Sets after 6:30pm this should all fall into place. :thup:

Tallyblade

Visit site
9-5'er here but I'm quite lucky in that I do a fair bit of travelling with the job. Just means my clubs are always in the boot and if I happen to pass a driving range around lunchtime (you really would be surprised how often it happens) Ill pop in.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is, in my opinion, why many clubs struggle to attract members in the 30-45 year old age bracket. Least available time with work and family commitments but the highest cost per round average as there is normally only chance to play once a week. Compare that with seniors and juniors who have the most available time but often a lower membership cost and you can see why membership to them is a more attractive prospect and why seniors make up such a large part of many clubs.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I struggle to get out as much as I'd like working the 9-5. Trying this year to make sure I get out a couple times during the week after work once it gets light. And then comps on weekends. I don't have a family yet, just me and the fiancée. Getting married this year then kids in the near future, so I can imagine it will be even harder then to get out, will have to make the most of the time this year and next.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This is, in my opinion, why many clubs struggle to attract members in the 30-45 year old age bracket. Least available time with work and family commitments but the highest cost per round average as there is normally only chance to play once a week. Compare that with seniors and juniors who have the most available time but often a lower membership cost and you can see why membership to them is a more attractive prospect and why seniors make up such a large part of many clubs.

Could hardly agree more.