Just how do you 9-5'ers do it?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's my biggest fear mate. If I struggle to do midweek then it puts a lot of pressure on the weekends. Hal has her horses on Saturdays and Joel is playing football on Sundays. It's going to take some sacrifices to play. Most likely I'm worried over nothing as I've never experienced it before. Hopefully.
as the kids get older you will just be a taxi anyway you need to enjoy them while you can.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I worked shifts for 25 years until relatively recently. Whilst I loved playing during the week the downside was I missed a lot of weekend comps, couldn't commit to events like Winter League, and often went months between roll ups with mates on Saturday mornings.

I'm now getting to the range two evenings a week, and playing every weekend. Once the clocks change I'll be playing once a week after work.

The result of regular course and range time is that my game is improving, and I am enjoying it all the more.

So whilst shift work has its benefits, and I thought I would miss getting out in the week, I personally find 9 to 5 is not all bad. Add to the mix the fact that I now manage to dodge all the societies and seniors swindles which clog our course up, and regular working hours can have its benefits.

gregbwfc

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Dan, I'm just over a week away from doing the shifts to days thing myself and I can't wait.
Shifts for nearly 30 years and sick of it.
Big differences for me are finishing at 4, club is 15 mins away on the way home and no kids
Also will be getting 13 days extra leave :eek:. Day wallahs eh ?
Understand you not wanting to move club, yours is a top place.
Can you negotiate hours, 8-4, 7-3 etc ?
You'll figure it out mate, good luck :thup:

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As others have mentioned, could you start early then finish early? Or start late and finish late? That would give you the best chance of getting out in the week. It is a challenge trying to play during the week when you work 'normal' shifts.

I do 6am-3pm Mon-Thurs and finish at 11am on a Friday. The early finish in the summer is perfect cos I can get out after work. In the winter I can start work later which gives time to go and play before work. Working from home and living around the corner from the course makes things easier. It's a balancing act though.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Play most Sat and Sun mornings.

Back in the hosue for lunch so works out pretty well. I did my 10 years or so of not playing at all while my daughter was young and now she's older it's much easier.

Golf still gets bumped for other stuff at weekends whenever they come up but otherwise most weekend mornings are golf. And in the 4 months or so in the middle of the year there's more time for practice, games after work etc.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I work 8.30-4.30 everyday and with the commute the earliest I can usually get to the course in summer in 6.00. I tend to try and stay as relaxed as the drive allows, get up there and assess it from there. If it's rammed or I need to work on something in my game I'll adjourn to the practice ground/putting green. Otherwise I'll meander out for a few holes and just enjoy the sun on my back and de-stress.

I'm lucky in that HID allows me to play both days of the weekends and go up as often as I like in the week. It's easier without family to worry about but I'm sure the OP will find a balance (and well done on the promotion)

gregbwfc

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I loved shifts and the freedom it gave me to do what I wanted and I actually did more with the kids.

Absolutely agree mate but current pattern is 7 days in a row, 2 weekends in 3.
Earlier patterns were friendlier.
Hardly get to see wife as she's travelling a lot so I jumped at the chance to change.
I may hate it but am looking forward to weekends off and not going home gone midnight.

D

Deleted member 17920

It's a struggle but I just get the odd game after 5pm now and again after a tough day at work

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's a struggle but I just get the odd game after 5pm now and again after a tough day at work

Mods, someone has hacked Glyn's account.

Firstly, congratulations Dan, on the promotion and good luck with the business.

I thought you struggled getting games in when you were on shifts tbh. I think one thing might be to see it over a few years. Hang on in there until the kids are old enough (teens) to not want to hang around with embarassing dad (although we know your cool).:)

The other one is see if you can finish early on one particular day a week, if your employer knows you'll generally be finishing 1 hour earlier on a Tuesday, they can plan for it. Make the hour up with more than an hour, or get in earlier. Tell them its the only exercise you get these days, if the're good people, they'll be fine. Just be honest with them.

Alternately, Monday and Friday nights can be quiet nights at the course.

I played Saturday and Sunday for years with a midweek game also, but wanted to spend one weekend day with the missus more. So sometimes I'll play on one of them, a Wednesday or Thursday, but then also play Friday night, and most times was home still by 8.00 after teeing off at 5.

Good luck mate, you deserve more golf after all you've been through for the last few years, injury-wise. :thup:

Last edited:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers all for the advice (and Pete for the lovely words 😉). I've spoken to the boss and told him that I'll be starting early every Wednesday so that I can see the night teams. As long as nothing major pops up (and god knows why American companies love to have so many meetings) then I can be away by 3. On the course for 4 and home by 8:30. Saturday mornings are in the diary with the Mrs now. That's 2 comps a week during the summer. No social golf though. Oh well, it's not the worst problem in the world 😂

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I start at 8.40 and finish at 3.00pm and get 13 weeks holiday a year.... I can't believe I don't play more golf!!!

Seriously though, I guess it depends on how flexible you can be at times. Something inevitably crops up for me and a rarely leave before 6pm, but if I know I have to be somewhere (I.e. Golf for out Thursday toll up) then I can plan around it and Barr an emergency, make it...

It will take some getting used to pal, but can only see how it goes.... maybe we can have a look at a few local weekend opens and us NW motley crew book in on a few to catch up in between the bigger meets!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I start at 8.40 and finish at 3.00pm and get 13 weeks holiday a year.... I can't believe I don't play more golf!!!

Seriously though, I guess it depends on how flexible you can be at times. Something inevitably crops up for me and a rarely leave before 6pm, but if I know I have to be somewhere (I.e. Golf for out Thursday toll up) then I can plan around it and Barr an emergency, make it...

It will take some getting used to pal, but can only see how it goes.... maybe we can have a look at a few local weekend opens and us NW motley crew book in on a few to catch up in between the bigger meets!

Now that sounds like a plan mate 👍

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Weekdays I get up 4:30m leave for work 5am getting home anytime from 2pm to 7pm.
I generally play Saturday mornings, balls the hat 7:30 and wil also be playing Sundays, but probably late morning early pm.
I'm lucky in that my wife (who also works full time) never complains about me playing golf as I've always helped with housework and things so it's not like I've left everything for her to do.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Absolutely agree mate but current pattern is 7 days in a row, 2 weekends in 3.
Earlier patterns were friendlier.
Hardly get to see wife as she's travelling a lot so I jumped at the chance to change.
I may hate it but am looking forward to weekends off and not going home gone midnight.

Mine was 2 weekends in 5. ie F,S,S,M days followed by S,S,M nights followed by T,W,T days followed by T,W,T,F nights and then repeat from the start.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I work shift and don't think I'd ever want a 9-5.

Pretty much get get to choose my overtime too.

Over the the summer I can play 21 days a month if I so choose, and during winter I still get 10/15 rounds a month if weather allows.

Kids niw now both at school so I've pretty much written off weekend golf so can see them and play loads during week without feeling bad.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I work 8.45-5.15 Mon-Thur and 8.45 to 1.15 Fridays.
Over here in NI, Saturdays are widely regarded as competition day (for men certainly), at our club we play our weekend comps to run over Friday and Saturday because of the demand for members to get out. I only tend to play competitive golf so getting out around 9-10am on Saturdays suits me and keeps the wife happier as we dont tend to do much on Saturday mornings anyway.