Is this an especially wet Winter where you play?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All open on Sat with 33 in the Comp. Course was noticeably drier than the previous Wed but still pretty wet. More rain today but still open & I'll be playing there tomorrow.
We're only a field away from Alwoodley & MoorAllerton on the other side but appear to have the drainage characteristics of the former. Will be surprised if the latter is open at all.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The blurb on my previous course was full tees and greens all year round, what pissed me off the most was that during wet morning that they did all they could to get green fee p&p’s in that when other courses were closed ours got trashed and took ages to recover. I wouldn’t have minded if they did 4 balls at a premium and invested it back in, but it was actually cheaper to get a free fee once a week than it was to be a member, oh and you got a free bacon roll too!

If I join somewhere in 2021, one of my first questions will be “ what do you do during the winter to protect the course “

I’d rather they restrict the course in the poor months to enjoy it more in the summer.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Does Rockcliffe have many members? I never really saw it as a members place but I don't know it that well.

My place has been closed for about 5-6 days on the trot. We aren't links or on chalk but it is very, very rare for us to be closed for more than a couple of days at a time. I'd be surprised if it opens in the next few days either
To tell the truth I don't know, I've certainly never met one.
I know someone, who knew someone that lived down south. He and his wife would travel up every week, he would play golf while she visited the spa. They ate in the Michelin starred restaurant, sleep in the 5* hotel and then go home. Loved Rockcliffe but also loved it where they lived.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Course was closed yesterday, open today with temp greens and only 6 holes on the back 9. The only day this week that I've booked the back 9 too, so a quick round today, at least it's a walk in the fresh air and swinging clubs

Golfnut1957

Visit site
They didn't even inspect ours today. We all received a message on Saturday informing us that the next inspection would be Tuesday. Looking at the forecast for tonight the next inspection will probably be Wednesday.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I live in the north west of Ireland, its always especially wet!!

Member at a quality links so doesn’t affect the courses too much but I’m not a great one for playing in the winter as with the winds and rain we get it’s no fun out there most days!

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Snowed off today! Destined to play zero golf over the Christmas period by the looks of it, off work for pretty much 2 weeks and so far it’s been closed due to rain or snow every time I’m booked in.

Mandofred

Visit site
They got 9 holes open somehow....I went in and hit for a little over an hour. Pretty sloppy, but the field was better than I expected. Might have simplified my swing to where I want it.....hopefully play on Wed to see if it works.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
WP was open on Sunday - the first time since the 18th but closed again yesterday after rain on Sunday night. The snow has closed both there and Enville today.

With Enville closed and Harriers first game at home for spectators postponed due to snow, that is my entertainment gone for the day. WP will be closed tomorrow, so no game again.

Last edited:

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Course closed today (finally, although tbh it could have been closed earlier, I just haven’t checked). Booked to play on Wednesday so hopefully it will be open and a bit drier

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All 18 holes open but only 10 entries in the Seniors Comp. Bit of a frosty start but greens were accepting a ball & rolling fairly well. Leeds misses a lot of very Wintery weather as it seems to be in a fairly sheltered location.
As there's a reasonably dry forecast ahead I'd expect the course to begin to drain & firm up this week.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Still fully open and glad we've missed any snow. Playing the back nine tomorrow so packing my water wings. Hoping it might actually be closed or at least front nine only. Playing with a Reading fan so at least if we get out the banter will be good.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The snow's arrived in 'sheltered' Leeds,,,, course shut with inspection Sat am. The driving range will be even more crammed.