Winter Golf - Handicap Qualifying Competitions - Change in Handicap Culture

D

Deleted member 3432

We only play stablefords now until March. Off the yellows it 5836 compared to 6294 so a reasonable reduction and does give everyone more of a chance. We usually get a fair number scoring over 36 points so definitely playable in winter conditions. I like the idea of one comp per month (two in December as we have the turkey trot as well) just to keep it interesting. The rest of it is social golf and I'll play in my usual roll up groups.

We will have 2 comps a week throughout winter but they have always been a bit of fun. Winter handicaps, and off mats. Pro has already commented that people are not entering the comp on comp days, just playing a social round.

Did that myself last week, blowing a gale, showers, cold and off fairway mats. A walk out in fresh air. If I was expected to hand a card in I would have sacked it off and went to the gym.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We will have 2 comps a week throughout winter but they have always been a bit of fun. Winter handicaps, and off mats. Pro has already commented that people are not entering the comp on comp days, just playing a social round.

Did that myself last week, blowing a gale, showers, cold and off fairway mats. A walk out in fresh air. If I was expected to hand a card in I would have sacked it off and went to the gym.

Was chilly on Saturday with a testing wind. Course was a bit damp in places and our greens struggling a bit with fusarium so not as good as normal. Tough day but definitely playable. We don't use mats so it does place a premium on ball striking but while it was hard it wasn't a grind. Good company helped of course but once a month doesn't seem excessive to me and always up for a challenge. I won't play on frozen greens (definitely not if we are on temps which is pretty rare) but aside from that happy to put my handicap on the line once a month. Perhaps I just have masochistic tendencies

D

Deleted member 3432

Was chilly on Saturday with a testing wind. Course was a bit damp in places and our greens struggling a bit with fusarium so not as good as normal. Tough day but definitely playable. We don't use mats so it does place a premium on ball striking but while it was hard it wasn't a grind. Good company helped of course but once a month doesn't seem excessive to me and always up for a challenge. I won't play on frozen greens (definitely not if we are on temps which is pretty rare) but aside from that happy to put my handicap on the line once a month. Perhaps I just have masochistic tendencies

You're just a true golf obsessive ?

peld

Visit site
One of our two courses reduces dramatically in winter (probably 350 yards just on 3 holes let alone the other tweaks), and i'd reckon the other course is probably reduced 300+yards with those tweaks too, so we'd be ruled out by one of the 3 rules.
Personally i think I have no argument closing the scoring for Winter. The conditions can be unfair and difficult (losing balls in leaves anyone?!?)

RobertB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
yellow tees replaced green/white/blue and hasn't been rated since significant course changes over COVID lockdowns. so now quals ...just winter league ...which is fine as invariably weather coupled to ground conditions/leaves etc make it pretty miserable ... oh to be on the links.... another aspect of the WHS general play that wasn't thought through ... cannot see many northerly climate parkland players submitting many scores over winter ....

D

Deleted member 3432

yellow tees replaced green/white/blue and hasn't been rated since significant course changes over COVID lockdowns. so now quals ...just winter league ...which is fine as invariably weather coupled to ground conditions/leaves etc make it pretty miserable ... oh to be on the links.... another aspect of the WHS general play that wasn't thought through ... cannot see many northerly climate parkland players submitting many scores over winter ....

The only difference between Northern parkland and links is coming off the links with clean shoes and trousers.

It's still cold, wet and windy. Winter golf is not proper golf.