Is this an especially wet Winter where you play?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
As I said in another thread, I haven't seen our course as wet as this in a good few years. We did some drainage work about 4 or 5 years back, and the course has been pretty resilient since then, but it seems it's either now blocked, broken, or just can't cope with the rainfall this year as it is worse than it used to be before the drainage was put in.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Yesterday was wet & miserable & few of use turned out for the Seniors Comp which in the end no one entered. Course is open & greens weren't flooding up. However I had an hour on TopTracer on our Range & booked 10am tee for a birthday round today..... weather looking almost Good! but will be a waterproof socks day for sure.
Happy Birthday mate.

Was going to play today but my place (Scarcroft) is an absolute mud bath. Tbh it should really be closed for a couple of days to let it recover but then I suppose the members would be up in arms. Cancelled my round for today as just can’t be done slogging through all that mud just for 10 holes. Will be coming up to yours for the range instead.

Hopefully the course will have drained a bit as booked to play Thursday morning

sunshine

Visit site
A year ago when I was told "we don't use temporary tees or greens", what I wasn't told is that the same 4 hole loop is regularly closed completely.
Course is a bog, really disappointed, but due to work it's likely I won't have to put up with it for more than next season.
I don't measure the amount of rain we get, but it doesn't feel like it's been very bad round here lately, a few wet days but plenty of dry days too.

Which 4 holes are closed?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It cannot be much worse than last year. I seem to remember playing hardly any golf between October and February and I had a month off on Gardening Leave in that period.

Doodle

Visit site
Most courses in the area are closed due to the rain.
I stopped playing 1 week ago when we went to carry only.
I'm not too fussed atm, the course is a bog, it's cold, wet & not enjoyable.
I fully expect another national lockdown in Jan, so I am not expecting to play much golf between now & April.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Surprisingly fully open but carry only. Reports from those playing especially those playing the back 9 only is it is a bog and really shouldn't be open. Front 9 apparently isn't that much better. Think Boxing Day is going to be a slog (if open).

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I played at Enville today on the Highgate and despite even more rain last night, the course was great. The first few greens were slower than yesterday but each subsequent green got quicker as they drier out.
I played with my eldest son and a couple of new members ( of a week and 11 days respectively). They had moved from Kings Norton and seemed to enjoy the conditions.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Happy Birthday mate.

Was going to play today but my place (Scarcroft) is an absolute mud bath. Tbh it should really be closed for a couple of days to let it recover but then I suppose the members would be up in arms. Cancelled my round for today as just can’t be done slogging through all that mud just for 10 holes. Will be coming up to yours for the range instead.

Hopefully the course will have drained a bit as booked to play Thursday morning
Cheers Michael... Wike was surprisingly acceptable today at ground level considering what's come down... certainly pretty busy in the car park as well since the range is good value.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Cheers Michael... Wike was surprisingly acceptable today at ground level considering what's come down... certainly pretty busy in the car park as well since the range is good value.
Yeah, was at the range today rather than playing at my place. Was looking to switch my Thursday game to yours but no tee times available

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
As a long term (20yrs) member at my club i was discussing this with a couple of the other lads who have been around a similar length of time.

Our course has always had the reputation of standing up to the weather pretty well during winter times but we all agreed that over the last 4 winters or so the course has become more susceptible to the ravages of rain. Sure there are a couple of low lying holes that have always been "soft" but each year it seems that more and more bunkers flood and more fairways are really claggy....but living here in East Anglia....the rainfall levels do not appear to have drastically increased. Several folks put the changes down to changes in farming practices and poor maintenance of ditches and other waterways that force more rain away from natural drainage paths onto the course....but certainly it seems to be becoming more and more of a problem.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not so bad here in Ayrshire, my daughter played yesterday, and it looks like all the local courses are open.

I have noticed that the last three or four winters seem to be very green.
Nearly all dairy/sheep farmers locally are now reseeding their grass every year or second year so that will make a difference.
No prolonged frosts or midwinter chill winds could also be a factor.
Looking at the 14 day weather outlook not much rain, frost or sun forecast. Just boring mild gray stuff.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
3rd comp in a row cancelled this morning due to ‘flooding’. Wouldn’t mind but I always book an early tee time which means 3 disgustingly early alarms only to find out it’s off!

Our course is lovely, very well looked after. It seems as though they close the course to protect it, which is fair enough I guess, but my ‘festival of golf over the Christmas period’ has so far consisted on 12 holes yesterday afternoon!

bwstokie

Visit site
My course is terrible this time of year, closed all but 1 day in the last fortnight or so. Parkland and despite the tireless effort of the greenkeepers to improve the drainage it just can’t cope with these levels of rainfall. Going to get on the waiting list at Beau Desert as that, on the whole, fairs well during the winter. Saying that even they are closed today so it must be bad!

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Bin day today, as usual the various items are spread out all over after being emptied but today the box for glass and the food waste box stayed upright. Was shocked how much water was in them just now ?

OntheteeGavin

Visit site
As a long term (20yrs) member at my club i was discussing this with a couple of the other lads who have been around a similar length of time.

Our course has always had the reputation of standing up to the weather pretty well during winter times but we all agreed that over the last 4 winters or so the course has become more susceptible to the ravages of rain. Sure there are a couple of low lying holes that have always been "soft" but each year it seems that more and more bunkers flood and more fairways are really claggy....but living here in East Anglia....the rainfall levels do not appear to have drastically increased. Several folks put the changes down to changes in farming practices and poor maintenance of ditches and other waterways that force more rain away from natural drainage paths onto the course....but certainly it seems to be becoming more and more of a problem.

Suffolk?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Being close to two rivers that regularly flood, we've not seen any warnings yet. But the ground does seem very sodden, and there seems to be more moss than usual - maybe there's been fewer of those bright breezy days that dry things out.
Just replying to myself from 3 days ago, the first flood warnings of the winter have landed today...