Is it permissible to rate your own course for NQ Winter golf?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi. As I play at Skipton, I too asked for the “if ball lost in abnormal ground conditions free drop local rule” but was told Yorkshire Golf Union would not allow it. Did you consult them or just do it which would be the sensible way?
we also allow the picking and dropping off the fairway into rough if you don’t like playing off the fairway mat, which I find a far more unfair local rule to no free drop from lost ball.
Everything is NQ at the moment so you can do what you want, no permission required.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi. As I play at Skipton, I too asked for the “if ball lost in abnormal ground conditions free drop local rule” but was told Yorkshire Golf Union would not allow it. Did you consult them or just do it which would be the sensible way?
we also allow the picking and dropping off the fairway into rough if you don’t like playing off the fairway mat, which I find a far more unfair local rule to no free drop from lost ball.
Neither is in the prerogative of the YUGC to give or deny permission.
Both actions are breaches of the Rules of Golf and are not permitted under the 'winter rules exceptions' by CONGU for handicap related rounds.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Everything is NQ at the moment so you can do what you want, no permission required.
[QUOTE Rulefan]Do you you mean at your course or are you suggesting that nationally everything is NQ? [/QUOTE]
Was meaning just at our Club & his Skipton GC.... yeah, wasn't clear.
Could you direct me towards where to find the info etc for putting together what's required to get a winter course rated to include the kind of restrictions we typically have each winter?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi. As I play at Skipton, I too asked for the “if ball lost in abnormal ground conditions free drop local rule” but was told Yorkshire Golf Union would not allow it.

Weird that because there is always free relief for a ball that is lost in abnormal ground conditions

What to Do When Ball Is Lost or Out of Bounds
If a ball is lost or out of bounds, the player must take stroke-and-distance relief by adding one penalty stroke and playing the original ball or another ball from where the previous stroke was made (see Rule 14.6).
Exception – Player May Substitute Another Ball under Other Rule When It Is Known or Virtually Certain What Happened to Ball: Instead of taking stroke-and-distance relief, the player may substitute another ball as allowed under a Rule that applies when his or her ball has not been found and it is known or virtually certain that the ball:
• Came to rest on the course and was moved by an outside influence (see Rule 9.6) or played as a wrong ball by another player (see Rule 6.3c(2)),
• Came to rest on the course in or on a movable obstruction (see Rule 15.2b) or an abnormal course condition (see Rule 16.1e),

Rule 16 would then apply

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just checking. What did you mean by 'abnormal ground condition'? Are these areas identified by the committee or otherwise satisfy the Definition of AGC?

wjemather

Visit site
Weird that because there is always free relief for a ball that is lost in abnormal ground conditions

What to Do When Ball Is Lost or Out of Bounds
If a ball is lost or out of bounds, the player must take stroke-and-distance relief by adding one penalty stroke and playing the original ball or another ball from where the previous stroke was made (see Rule 14.6).
Exception – Player May Substitute Another Ball under Other Rule When It Is Known or Virtually Certain What Happened to Ball: Instead of taking stroke-and-distance relief, the player may substitute another ball as allowed under a Rule that applies when his or her ball has not been found and it is known or virtually certain that the ball:
• Came to rest on the course and was moved by an outside influence (see Rule 9.6) or played as a wrong ball by another player (see Rule 6.3c(2)),
• Came to rest on the course in or on a movable obstruction (see Rule 15.2b) or an abnormal course condition (see Rule 16.1e),

Rule 16 would then apply
Abnormal ground conditions are strictly defined areas: animal holes, GUR, immovable obstructions, temporary water.
Bear in mind that GUR must be identified by the committee in advance (if not marked) and temporary water does not apply to areas that are merely "wet, muddy or soft" (i.e. surface water must be present before or after taking a stance without unduly pressing down).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Abnormal ground conditions are strictly defined areas: animal holes, GUR, immovable obstructions, temporary water.
Bear in mind that GUR must be identified by the committee in advance (if not marked) and temporary water does not apply to areas that are merely "wet, muddy or soft" (i.e. surface water must be present before or after taking a stance without unduly pressing down).

I am totally aware of what abnormal ground condition is in the rules. One does question if the person who I was responding to does though to get such a response from the Area Authority.

from the post made that I was responding to

“if ball lost in abnormal ground conditions free drop local rule” but was told Yorkshire Golf Union would not allow it.

wjemather

Visit site
I am totally aware of what abnormal ground condition is in the rules. One does question if the person who I was responding to does though to get such a response from the Area Authority.

from the post made that I was responding to

“if ball lost in abnormal ground conditions free drop local rule” but was told Yorkshire Golf Union would not allow it.
Apologies for any confusion - my post was intended as a follow-on to your post rather than a direct reply.