Annual trip to Scotland - course for weekend

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Heading up for our annual pilgrimage to Scotland at the end of Sept, but we are changing plans slightly this year so we can ensure we fit in as much as the Ryder Cup as possible.

Usually we get up early on Saturday, drive up and play on route around the borders before heading up to the house near Montrose.

This year, we will be leaving after the RC on the Friday to arrive early hours of Sat (2-3 am). Hopefully get 4 or 5 hrs kip before heading out to play someone local to the house in order to get back for the afternoon and RC. Same again on the Sunday, i.e. earlyish start.

Couple of options we have considered for the Saturday and the Sunday bearing in mind it needs to be available for visitors to play early on a weekend are:

Letham Grange (for the Saturday)
Brechin (for the Saturday)
Banchory (for the Sunday)
Peterculter (for the Sunday)

Been reading up and Letham Grange appears to have suffered a bit with lack of funds/maintenance, but wondered if things were improving at all?

Perhaps someone can suggest an alternative course in the area that allows visitors on early mornings (between 8-10) at weekends?

Rest of the week will be split between, Blairgowrie, Montrose, Cruden Bay, Moniefieth and possibly Downfield and Aboyne depending on the weather.

Thanks!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
played Brechin this time last year in out Annual Jolly and TBH it was poor to say the least, condition and layout. some very samey holes and a couple of poorly thought out ones to boot.

Downfield was in great nick when i played it back in May with Cabby.

don't rule out the wee course at Blairgowrie, best 9 hole course ive ever played and some great holes on it.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is a decent little links course at Arbroath that is worth playing if you can get on.

http://www.arbroathgolfcourse.co.uk/teetimes/

Thanks. Nothing available in the mornings though unfortunately.

played Brechin this time last year in out Annual Jolly and TBH it was poor to say the least, condition and layout. some very samey holes and a couple of poorly thought out ones to boot.

Downfield was in great nick when i played it back in May with Cabby.

don't rule out the wee course at Blairgowrie, best 9 hole course ive ever played and some great holes on it.

Downfield is one of our options in the week. We also play Blair and usually do 9 holes on the Wee have some food and then 18 on the Rosemount.

Thanks for your comments about Brechin.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks. Nothing available in the mornings though unfortunately.

Downfield is one of our options in the week. We also play Blair and usually do 9 holes on the Wee have some food and then 18 on the Rosemount.

Thanks for your comments about Brechin.

Forfar i was very impressed with, heathland style course some great holes, though it looked like a busy members club so you might find it that easy to get on on a Sat.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think your options will be limited on a Saturday morning, with most members clubs being unlikely to accommodate visitors at that time.

Sorry, I don't know what's available through there or your budget, but possibly one of the courses at Carnoustie may be the best option with multiple courses and being set up to cater for tourists.

Last edited:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played Forfar today and Edzell yesterday, both good courses but Edzell is the better of the two imo, don’t know availability on a Saturday but I would highly recommend Edzell.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
If Cruden Bay is within range then I'd suggest you give consideration to Newmachar as well - especially the Hawkshill course. Was well impressed when we went earlier this year..

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Montrose Medal.

Auchterarder and Crieff ar pretty good and close.

Boat of Garten and Spey Valley, get a hotel deal and stay in aviemore. Lots of golf in and around that area.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think your options will be limited on a Saturday morning, with most members clubs being unlikely to accommodate visitors at that time.

Sorry, I don't know what's available through there or your budget, but possibly one of the courses at Carnoustie may be the best option with multiple courses and being set up to cater for tourists.

Indeed, which is why I was asking on here if anyone perhaps knew of some pay and play courses and or alternatives that allowed non-members on :)

Carnoustie isn't an option as the Dunhill is on the week we go, although I'm now wondering if one of the other St Andrews courses might be possible? Will have to see.

Montrose Medal.

Auchterarder and Crieff ar pretty good and close.

Boat of Garten and Spey Valley, get a hotel deal and stay in aviemore. Lots of golf in and around that area.

Thanks, but apart from Montrose (which we will definitely be playing during the week) as it doesn't allow non-members on their medal course at the weekend, the others are not really an option.

Played Crieff last year on the way up and was all a bit meh. Not played Auchterarder as we always end up on the Gleneagles courses whenever we are in that area, but it's just a little too far for our option for the 1st weekend as it will take us probably about 1hr 30+ to get to there.

We know the others very well as we used to go and stay in Boat and play all of those courses for about 7 years in a row, but we have now switched it up and headed over to the East coast, so really only looking for courses on that side of the Cairngorns.

If Cruden Bay is within range then I'd suggest you give consideration to Newmachar as well - especially the Hawkshill course. Was well impressed when we went earlier this year..

Thanks, this looks like a good option. Just over an hour from the house, so maybe a smidge too far as we want to get back home as soon as possible for the RC coverage, but it does have tee times available on the Sunday morning it seems.

Played Forfar today and Edzell yesterday, both good courses but Edzell is the better of the two imo, don’t know availability on a Saturday but I would highly recommend Edzell.

Played Edzell last year and we weren't particularly impressed. Nothing terrible about it, just quite forgetful. Didn't like the large amount of blind tee shots on the first few holes either. I also think we marked it down because they were conducting their green maintenance whilst we were playing and 4 or 5 greens were suddenly put out of action, sometimes as we were walking up to the tee but they didn't offer any sort of discount.

I think Forfar don't allow non-members early mornings at the weekend, but I have contacted them to find out.

Thanks everyone. Any more suggestions specifically for the Saturday / Sunday mornings that allows non-members around Montrose / Johnshaven area would be highly appreciated.